I may have been wrong about the EOS R3 official announcement date

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
After listening in on some talks at Canon USA's "Get Up and Go with Canon" event yesterday, I got a feeling like maybe at some point they did plan the event with the expectation that the R3 was going to be announced by Canon International prior to the event. Here are a few reasons:

1. Various speakers encouraged participants to tune in for the "special" and "surprising" closing event. This suggests there was an expectation that the closing event would occur.
2. The main attraction was a very ambitious live event with professional motorsports racers. This immediately preceded the closing event. As we know from Canon already, the R3 will feature new motorsport tracking.
3. Although hundreds of audience members attended the closing event, Canon was a no-show. There was a dramatic countdown to the start of the event, but no one from Canon logged in and presented anything. Thirty minutes later, a message appeared from Canon stating that the event was over.

It kind of seemed like there were plans to talk about the R3 in the closing event, but since the R3 announcement did not occur from Canon international, Canon USA canceled the event at the last second and didn't notify anyone. Either that or Canon forgot about their own event.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
After listening in on some talks at Canon USA's "Get Up and Go with Canon" event yesterday, I got a feeling like maybe at some point they did plan the event with the expectation that the R3 was going to be announced by Canon International prior to the event. Here are a few reasons:

1. Various speakers encouraged participants to tune in for the "special" and "surprising" closing event. This suggests there was an expectation that the closing event would occur.
2. The main attraction was a very ambitious live event with professional motorsports racers. This immediately preceded the closing event. As we know from Canon already, the R3 will feature new motorsport tracking.
3. Although hundreds of audience members attended the closing event, Canon was a no-show. There was a dramatic countdown to the start of the event, but no one from Canon logged in and presented anything. Thirty minutes later, a message appeared from Canon stating that the event was over.

It kind of seemed like there were plans to talk about the R3 in the closing event, but since the R3 announcement did not occur from Canon international, Canon USA canceled the event at the last second and didn't notify anyone. Either that or Canon forgot about their own event.
Thanks for the feedback, Craig!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
For the conspiracy theorist of the world. The rumored R3 with 30ish MP really was going to be the R1. Every thing was set in in silicon months or even years ago. The Sony announced the A1 doing 30 FPS with 50 MP. Canon couldn't change the hardware in time so Canon marketing said lets call it the R3 and price it a lower and buy time to come out with an R1 with higher specs than Sony A1. :).
And it has an SD card slot because....?

Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
This is a rumor site right? So don’t be to hard on yourself. You posted a rumor, and it was not coming out, that’s why it is called a rumor. Anyway, let’s do some rumoring on the rumor, shall we?

Canon has given a few pro ambassadors the chance to have a go with the new R3. Like they always do, some pro sports (especially F1 and other high speed sports) photographers were asked to use the camera and report their concerns and tips. Canon does NOT want any bad reviews on this camera as soon as it hits the market, so they want to get rid of as many bugs and flaws as possible. This is what is happening now, as we speak. Canon is working trough that list of comments from the pro users, so when the R3 hits the market, it is 99,9% flawless. It’s a new sensor, it’s a new high speed mirrorless, it’s a pro grip body, a lot of it is new, and that means a bigger chance on issues and problems. Canon has brought the 1D mark II to the market whilst not ready yet. Focal issues were driving pro’s to Nikon and they cannot survive another big fail in my opinion. Canon is trying to catch up with Sony, they have to come up with something good now. Canon pro’s and semi-pro’s have been waiting for ages for Canon to compete with Sony in the mirrorless pro segment. 50% of them has already made the switch to Sony. The time is now, and potential mistakes can cause enormous damage to Canon’s reputation. So they will release before the olympics, but they will take ALL the time they need before to eliminate any potential flaw in the new R3.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
And it has an SD card slot because....?
Personally I like the idea of having an SD card. As I have said before I have found myself never using twin slots as RAW ‘backup’. Personally I have found myself using the main card for RAW and the SD card, in the 1DS III and (if I end up getting one) the R3. This means I can hand over a ubiquitous SD card to anybody at an event that has a simple SD card compatibility for social media etc.

I have found that is how I use dual card slots, and I might be in the minority but it works well.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
This is a rumor site right? So don’t be to hard on yourself. You posted a rumor, and it was not coming out, that’s why it is called a rumor. Anyway, let’s do some rumoring on the rumor, shall we?

Canon has given a few pro ambassadors the chance to have a go with the new R3. Like they always do, some pro sports (especially F1 and other high speed sports) photographers were asked to use the camera and report their concerns and tips. Canon does NOT want any bad reviews on this camera as soon as it hits the market, so they want to get rid of as many bugs and flaws as possible. This is what is happening now, as we speak. Canon is working trough that list of comments from the pro users, so when the R3 hits the market, it is 99,9% flawless. It’s a new sensor, it’s a new high speed mirrorless, it’s a pro grip body, a lot of it is new, and that means a bigger chance on issues and problems. Canon has brought the 1D mark II to the market whilst not ready yet. Focal issues were driving pro’s to Nikon and they cannot survive another big fail in my opinion. Canon is trying to catch up with Sony, they have to come up with something good now. Canon pro’s and semi-pro’s have been waiting for ages for Canon to compete with Sony in the mirrorless pro segment. 50% of them has already made the switch to Sony. The time is now, and potential mistakes can cause enormous damage to Canon’s reputation. So they will release before the olympics, but they will take ALL the time they need before to eliminate any potential flaw in the new R3.
Whilst I’m sure I’ll be accused of being too pedantic I would point out the something can’t be 99.9% flawless, it is either flawless or it isn’t. And it was the 1D III that got the bad reputation for AF, though I never had an issue with my 1DS III’s.

Also, I don’t believe if you are in front you can be classed as catching up with anybody. Canon lead sales in MILC’s and DSLR’s and total camera sales. It is Sony who are trying to catch Canon.

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Personally I like the idea of having an SD card. As I have said before I have found myself never using twin slots as RAW ‘backup’. Personally I have found myself using the main card for RAW and the SD card, in the 1DS III and (if I end up getting one) the R3. This means I can hand over a ubiquitous SD card to anybody at an event that has a simple SD card compatibility for social media etc.

I have found that is how I use dual card slots, and I might be in the minority but it works well.
SD cards slow down the R5 if you shoot hybrid. I take it out when doing weddings with the R5 Maybe this will have the UHS II card support....

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020

Even if Canon was still working on "finishing touches", they could still announce the R3 any time because no consumers will be able to buy the camera right away anyway, and above testing the product now is under NDA. There will be several months between the announcement and the availability date to get everything to the standard Canon is looking for.
I am hoping for better luck this time after receiving two defective R5 bodies.

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
CR Pro
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Sarcasm is conveyed very well and reliably through text on an online forum which frequently features outlandish claims and exaggerated claims. A poster who wishes to be understood correctly has to make no effort to convey their sarcasm properly, as it will be understood without fail what they mean even if their words say something else.

/s
Some people don't get jokes or sarcasm. I know, I'm one of them and its often not obvious. It can be even harder for people from other cultures that have not mastered English. You better mark it with a smiley face or something similar for those of us that won't notice the sarcasm.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Personally, I only use an SD card in my R5 so far. And it's a Sony card.

But, obviously, I don't shoot RAW or ALL-I videos, let alone those that I cannot reshoot.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Some people don't get jokes or sarcasm. I know, I'm one of them and its often not obvious. It can be even harder for people from other cultures that have not mastered English. You better mark it with a smiley face or something similar for those of us that won't notice the sarcasm.
I agree. That was the point of the post you quoted. As indicated by the '/s' tag, that post is entirely sarcastic.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I agree. That was the point of the post you quoted. As indicated by the '/s' tag, that post is entirely sarcastic.
I didn't know that "/s" means sarcastic, and English is my native language. So, I have learned something. Actually, it's too easy to lapse into jargon and abbreviations, which we assume everyone knows but not everybody does. I often write out in full things like, for example, "minimum focal distance" rather than use mfd all the time in case newcomers aren't familiar.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0