Images & Specifications For the Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark III

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
Normalnorm said:
Leaf shutters were used in view camera lenses, simple cameras such as Brownie's and even enthusiast amateur cameras such as Yashica, Canon and Argus. Hasselblad and Rollei were premium cameras that used leaf shutters. While Rollei had fixed lenses in their Rolleiflexes, Hasselblad adopted leaf shutters in their classic 500C designs.

Many non interchangeable lens cameras had leaf shutter, often bought from a third party - most good leaf shutter were made by Compur (part of Zeiss, IIRC) or Copal, and incorporated into the lens or camera design.

IIRC Hasselblad tried first with a FP shutter, but it proved not enough reliable, and switched to a leaf one. That's why the Kiev (which was a copy of the original Hasselblad), had a FP shutter. Larger FP shutters (bigger formats) were more difficult to build than smaller one for 35mm.

IIRC again, leaf shutter in MF and large format lenses allowed for complete sync speeds, but weren't very fast shutters either - reaching at most often only 1/500, or even less. Anyway, they weren't camera designed for action photography.

Upvote 0
BasXcanon said:
Ok but the first grobalshutter Powershot will be even more $$$$ than this one.

But for me there is no way back, I listened my 80D and 2 EFS lenses on Ebay today.
I will snag the G1xM3 before anyone else!

Why did you do that? The camera will not even ship until late November. Also still a bunch of unanswered question. Mic jack? ND filter?

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
ablearcher said:
Talys said:
ablearcher said:
It is October 2017 and one will have a hard time finding a new TV on sale with 1080p resolution.

While 4k prices have certainly come down, this statement is just not true.

For me, it's more like... it's October 2017, and there still isn't enough 4k content that I'm interested in watching to make a 4k TV upgrade worthwhile. I have fiber to my home with available 4k, yet the only content is some sports stuff that I have no interest in, and House of Cards if I'm willing to pay more money each year.

Well, its been a while I saw a large screen on sale with 1080p.
you're obviously not looking hard.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Televisions/zgbs/electronics/172659/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_2_1266092011

quite a few 1080p's on that list .. there's even 720p's on that list.

People forget that not everyone WANTS or NEEDS a big tv, which precludes 4k for alot of people. there will always be places for less than 4K tv's simply because of that fact.

that's all beside the point. there's no compelling evidence that 4K needs to be on every single stills camera.

Considering that canon is selling as many cameras as they did a year ago, without 4k and the vendors that sell 4K equipped cameras, aren't experiencing a renaissance in sales, it would suggest that the entire hyperbole is overblown.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
swblackwood said:
BasXcanon said:
Ok but the first grobalshutter Powershot will be even more $$$$ than this one.

But for me there is no way back, I listened my 80D and 2 EFS lenses on Ebay today.
I will snag the G1xM3 before anyone else!

Why did you do that? The camera will not even ship until late November. Also still a bunch of unanswered question. Mic jack? ND filter?
maybe the video crap isn't necessary for him .. just a hunch.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Jopa said:
So many ugly haters in this thread...

Well, yeah. Ugly is on the tops of many persons hate list as opposed to the whole pretty category which is on top. For example, I give you Hedy Lamarr, if only she was a Canon camera.

Attachments

• 2bfd1bfc6046a37ec4f5374ba219091e--s-makeup-s-hairstyles.jpg
    2bfd1bfc6046a37ec4f5374ba219091e--s-makeup-s-hairstyles.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 453
Upvote 0
Feb 12, 2014
rrcphoto said:
ablearcher said:
Talys said:
ablearcher said:
It is October 2017 and one will have a hard time finding a new TV on sale with 1080p resolution.

For me, it's more like... it's October 2017, and there still isn't enough 4k content that I'm interested in watching to make a 4k TV upgrade worthwhile. I have fiber to my home with available 4k, yet the only content is some sports stuff that I have no interest in, and House of Cards if I'm willing to pay more money each year.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Electronics-Televisions/zgbs/electronics/172659/ref=zg_bs_nav_e_2_1266092011

People forget that not everyone WANTS or NEEDS a big tv, which precludes 4k for alot of people. there will always be places for less than 4K tv's simply because of that fact.

that's all beside the point. there's no compelling evidence that 4K needs to be on every single stills camera.

Considering that canon is selling as many cameras as they did a year ago, without 4k and the vendors that sell 4K equipped cameras, aren't experiencing a renaissance in sales, it would suggest that the entire hyperbole is overblown.

Go to the average electronics outlet, such as Best Buy, and see what they are selling. There may be some 1080p sets over in the corner, but almost all of their floor space is for large 4K panels

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Tugela said:
rrcphoto said:
ablearcher said:
Talys said:
ablearcher said:

Go to the average electronics outlet, such as Best Buy, and see what they are selling. There may be some 1080p sets over in the corner, but almost all of their floor space is for large 4K panels

if i go into the average walmart, bestbuy, it's quite easy to find 1080's for sale.

of course if you ONLY go looking for 50+ inche displays, they are 4K - but not everyone wants or needs that. didn't read too hard did you?

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
Tugela said:
The award for the ugliest camera of the year goes to.....

Lol...is this the only area Canon be "best of class" in?

Since photographers are looking through the camera and not at the camera, the large number of folks commenting on the looks reveals a lot. I have a hunch that over 99% of photographers don't really care what the camera looks like. I guess gear-heads do.

Based on all the comments here - and how wrong the CR user group usually is when it comes to predicting a camera's success - this one will probably be both popular and take excellent pics.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
AvTvM said:
leaf shutters vs. focal plane/curtain shutters ... the ultimate RETRO discussion. wake up, analogue steampunks! we live in 2017! time to finally get mechanics-free global electronic shutter im every camera (not in lens, of course). any X-Sync we want. 1/32.000 exposure time no problem. shutter life likely 100 Mio actuations, not 100.000. Silent image capture instead of motors whirring to cock shutters and springs cracking to move leaf or shutter blades! no oil splattering onto (Nikon) sensors any longer. no vibrations, no blur!

solid state rules supreme. i like! 8)
Yeah, we've been waiting for global shutters almost as long as flying cars.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
LDS said:
Normalnorm said:
Leaf shutters were used in view camera lenses, simple cameras such as Brownie's and even enthusiast amateur cameras such as Yashica, Canon and Argus. Hasselblad and Rollei were premium cameras that used leaf shutters. While Rollei had fixed lenses in their Rolleiflexes, Hasselblad adopted leaf shutters in their classic 500C designs.

Many non interchangeable lens cameras had leaf shutter, often bought from a third party - most good leaf shutter were made by Compur (part of Zeiss, IIRC) or Copal, and incorporated into the lens or camera design.

IIRC Hasselblad tried first with a FP shutter, but it proved not enough reliable, and switched to a leaf one. That's why the Kiev (which was a copy of the original Hasselblad), had a FP shutter. Larger FP shutters (bigger formats) were more difficult to build than smaller one for 35mm.

IIRC again, leaf shutter in MF and large format lenses allowed for complete sync speeds, but weren't very fast shutters either - reaching at most often only 1/500, or even less. Anyway, they weren't camera designed for action photography.
Hasselblad FP shutters in the 1600 were unreliable because Hasselblad were unreliable. The switch to Compur shutters in the lenses offloaded the engineering to Zeiss and added the benefit of all speed sync. When talking about ISO 64 film and professional photography, action stopping speed was hardly a concern. Note a lot of 35 mm cameras at the time with FP shutters maxed out at 1/500 also. 1/2000 was first seen on the Leicaflex SL In about 1972 and was unaffordable to most.
Typical LS shutters go to 1/2000 today in smaller format (APS-C) cameras and 1/1600 in MF lenses. Action is not a huge part of commercial photography. Commercial photography is frequently about flash with a FL usually falling in the 24-70 range.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2012
okaro said:
Normalnorm said:
Nope. FP shutters were created in the 19th century to achieve high speeds unavailable with competing in-lens shutters of the time.
Leitz used a FP shutter in its 35mm cameras to allow easy interchangeability of lenses and lower cost.
Flash sync was not an issue until the advent of electronic flash where the flash was so brief that it could only expose properly at speeds that did not use a traveling slit.

Digital has nothing to do with whether a camera will use a leaf or focal plane shutter. Lower cost, fixed lens cameras use leaf shutters while interchangeable lens cameras (with very few exceptions) use focal plane shutters.

Incorporating leaf shutters into each lens for an interchangeable lens system has a lot of drawbacks. The lenses are bulkier, more expensive and can have lens to lens speed variations. More importantly, if you have a shutter failure (and they do fail more frequently than FP shutters) you lose the use of a lens that may be critical on a job. Witha system using an focal plane shutter you just switch bodies.

With film one has to protect the film while changing lenses. If one used leaf shutters one would have to have additional manual shutter to protect the film. With digital that is not a problem. On my EOS M the sensor is visible when I remove the lens.

"You just switch bodies". Most people have more lenses than bodies. If you have just one body, your system becomes in case until you buy a new one and it can take time if you do not have money. Using a lens just limits your options.
A pro has multiple bodies. A lens without a shutter rarely fails. Shutters are the weakest link in any camera. I have 5 bodies and multiple fixed lens LS cameras just so I am not left high and dry on a job.

Upvote 0
Dec 11, 2015
Ryananthony said:
Tugela said:
The award for the ugliest camera of the year goes to.....

Lol...is this the only area Canon be "best of class" in?

Am I the only one who actually likes the look of this camera? Its way nicer then the M5 in my opinion.

Reminds me this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=en5z-Q4po4M
Nobody cares what pictures the camera can take. The look is everything, right? CR hipsters disapprove.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
rrcphoto said:
Tugela said:
rrcphoto said:
ablearcher said:
Talys said:
ablearcher said:

if i go into the average walmart, bestbuy, it's quite easy to find 1080's for sale.

of course if you ONLY go looking for 50+ inche displays, they are 4K - but not everyone wants or needs that. didn't read too hard did you?

Your anti-4K crusade is getting harder, isn't it? Again, given Canon's reputation of world-class imaging and their current tag line of SEE IMPOSSIBLE, it is a bit comical that they haven't begun to include competitive 4K in their line of cameras. The iPhone has had 4K for years now- that's not just 1 year, that's 2 years and 3 cycles, which means we are now going on 3 years of 4K mainstream consumer devices.

Upvote 0

Talys

Canon R5
CR Pro
Feb 16, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I don't know why there are so many people panning the looks. It looks like a camera, it's got a functional grip (though I don't know how it will feel at its size), buttons and dials look solid and in the right places, and the flippy lens looks to maximize the back. I mean, at the end of the day, who cares what it looks like... For something like this, I would care more about how it will fit in a wee slot in a bag than what it looked like.

Either way, not a camera for me -- it would have had to support a decent magnification macro, to interest me at this price point, but then the lens would likely be too bulky. But I can certainly see how it could be useful.

Upvote 0