It looks like 2021 will be the last year for the EOS M lineup [CR2]

especially when you factor 3rd party glass into the equation
Oh yes! The lack of Canon EF-M lenses is being very well compensated by third parties. There are plenty of very fun and interesting (and sometimes really high quality, like Kamlan 50mm MK2) MF lenses from various Chinese manufacturers, as well as high quality AF lenses from Sigma.

APC-S market has a lot of very interesting products, which are fun to play with. Lenses and cameras are cheap enough to buy them just out of experimenting fun. Of course, as a professional, I would need 100% reliable Canon stuff. But my pro-years are over and now I'm at the fun side of photography.

APC-C is just a livelier place to be, in my Opinion.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
No, I don't think EOS-M customers would buy more expensive RF equipment. I think that, if true, this would have other things in mind, e.g. sharing parts and software, and putting the 7D replacement in a more convenient position. The transition would also take time.
They already share a bunch of parts.
The only things they do not share are the mounts and the lenses for those mounts.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
True. 20MP MFT = 31.25MP APS-C.

That same pixel density will require an 80MP FF sensor.

Maybe the R5s will have that. But if it’s anything like the 5Ds when it came out, high resolution will be its only advantage. Everything else about it will be at least a generation behind. And it will cost $6000.

Is that really the best upgrade path you can think of for 90D and EOS-M users?
I would very much like to see an M5 II. I was simply responding to a comment that M 4/3 had more reach than APS-c. In the case of the M6 II and the 90D, it does not, and if the R5s is really 90 MP as rumored, then it too will outreach M 4/3. I am one who does not see the need for an APS-c R body in a shrinking market. The Birders may have to step up and buy a high pixel density FF. If the R5s has AF tracking like the R5, they will even have an incentive.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I would very much like to see an M5 II. I was simply responding to a comment that M 4/3 had more reach than APS-c. In the case of the M6 II and the 90D, it does not, and if the R5s is really 90 MP as rumored, then it too will outreach M 4/3. I am one who does not see the need for an APS-c R body in a shrinking market. The Birders may have to step up and buy a high pixel density FF. If the R5s has AF tracking like the R5, they will even have an incentive.
M6 Mark II did not exist when G9 came out.
R5s still does not exist and will likely be in another price bracket.

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Well, there will be no RF-S lenses in the sense that there will be no RF lenses that can only be mounted on APS-C bodies. That was the whole thing with EF-S; making sure they could not be mounted on a body where the flapping mirror would be obstructed. With the RF mount there is no mirror to obstruct and the distance from the mount to the shutter is (relatively) constant. That is not the same as saying there will never be RF lenses that will only produce an APS-C image circle. There will be, if it makes sense, just as there will be slower lenses if it makes sense.

Of course EF-M is a mount destined to be discontinued. Maintaining two incompatible but overlapping mounts aimed at very similar customers is not an option, especially not in a shrinking market. This is why EF-mount will die. This is why F-mount will die. This is why A-mount will die. Fuji have two mounts but they're distinctly different with no overlap.

A low-end RF-mount APS-C camera will come with a suitably low-cost kit lens. Other than that, there never seems to have been a lot of demand for APS-C specific lenses from canon customers. There is a reason Sony haven't paid that much attention to APS-C either. And most photographers clearly didn't care about their systems being compact anyway as they preferred Sony's A7-series (with bodies being somewhat smaller than most DSLRs but lenses being larger than their DSLR counterparts) over the µ4/3 alternatives. Those who actually want a compact system seem to be in a minority vs those who want the very best image quality.
If you base your assumptions on reading forums, I would agree with you base your assumptions on actual camera sales, I would disagree. The EOS M family is arguably the smallest high quality camera line available (generally smaller than even M 4/3 which didn't take advantage of the opportunity) and it is one of the best selling mirrorless camera lines in the world.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
"Buying a crop sensor wide-angle lens does not make much sense to me. "
That makes no sense to me. As a crop user the 10-22 gives me a fantastic wide field. For landscapes- you can get a whole rainbow plus secondary in the frame.
But if you have a ff body the equivalent is 16-35 or something. Unless, of course, you are able to afford all the EF stuff like 11-22.
As regards the demise of M, it would not surprise me at all that Canon would want ALL of its bodies to have the 12-pin connections of RF going forward. I would fully expect an RFM equivalent.
And possibly an R7 which might be the 7D3 I was hoping for.

Upvote 0

riker

5D4
Jan 19, 2015
riker.hu
With the new RF mount, It will take quite a bit of time and money to replicate the above. Should Canon choose to end the EOS-M line officially (not through some lousy rumors), I will get a M6 Mark II or M50 Mark II and stay with the M system for many more years.

It's not about the time and money, but the size and weight. You cannot replicate your setup with RF. On the other hand, M is nowhere near the quality of RF especially in the tele domain. Think of an R5+100-500 for example.

Upvote 0
Pretty wild. It is understandable that on the lens side, there's very little room left to fill out the line up with the constant outer diameter restriction. But that hasn't hurt the sales in the past. Is it actually so expensive to sustain a few APS-C bodies to go along with it?

If so, this sounds like the end of APS-C as we know it. At least in Canon land.

The EF-M mount is 1 mm larger than Sony's E mount and they use it on their full frame cameras. I don't think the outer diameter is a restriction.

Upvote 0
Some clarifications and amplifications due to responses to my post.
- First, it is important to realize that we are reacting to a RUMOR. And that what we are posting is a mix of speculations, current facts, preferences, and fears.
- I think we can agree that companies in the photo industry are in it to make money. (Victor Hasselblad may have been an exception, he just wanted a better camera for his bird photography. If he could sell some cameras it would help defray the costs).
- "Forecasting is difficult, particularly about the future!" A company entering a new market or a new segment will look at existing data, evaluate costs and pricing options. They will then estimate sales levels at various price points. Based on their analysis Sigma decided to enter the market segment of APS-C mirrorless primes, believing they could make money there with their f/1.4 Contemporary trio due to high quality and very competitive pricing. The fact that they have not abandoned this market segment indicated to me that they consider it profitable.
- The only camera company I know that employs scarcity marketing is Leica Camera.
- A backorder situation arises when your sales exceed your forecast. Your ability to ameliorate the situation may indeed depend upon current capacity utilization. But in any manufacturing operation there is almost always a certain amount of slack. If you look at the car manufacturing process (admittedly a less than perfect simile) you can first go to shift overtime, then to weekend work, at which point it may become cost effective to expand to one more shift. Reading the tea leaves I deduce that Sigma significantly underestimated demand for the EF-M mount. If the M mount was selling faster than the other mounts the logical response would be to focus production on the Canon version, which might then lead to a backorder situation for the other versions. But backordered absolutely means higher than EXPECTED sales.

And, no, I don't know sales volume by mount. Nor do I know total sales. All these numbers are relatively closely held. But let us now, for sake of the discussion accept that that the Canon M system is likely the best selling MILC system out there. There are many indications that this is the case, and very few contraindications. Combine this with the fact that the Canon M only had two general purpose primes and it is likely that Sigma saw a significant underserved market segment. And, as above, they seem to have been even more right than they expected.

Re R vs. M sales levels and profitability. Again, no, I don't know, nor do I think many people outside the company do. Certainly unit profit contribution is unknown. B&H and Adorama can certainly tell us about unit breakdown in the markets they serve, but that breakdown is likely not representative of the total US market. It seems that available data show vastly higher M unit sales than R sales. That is the same as we saw with the DSLR market, many, many more Rebels (and X0Ds) than 6Ds, 5Ds, and 1Ds. Canon made tons of money off the Rebels (I should know, I bought eight of them!) and I am pretty sure that the M is not a Nonprofit part of the organization. The data we have are not "meaningless", they are incomplete and segmented, but we can still infer conclusions.

Sigma did indeed endorse the M system by manufacturing lenses for it. The fact that the marginal investment in up-tooling for the new mount was limited can certainly have made the decision easier and less risky.

I don't know a lot about Sony, I only have an RX-100 Mk. VI, so I likewise don't remember whether there were third party lenses manufactured for the NEX system. I do know, however, that while there are no more NEX cameras, the system seems to be going rather strong under the a6X00 name with B&H currently offering four models. It is my understanding that it is the second best selling MILC system.

The APS-C DSLR market is/has indeed collapsed. But it is a fallacy to conclude from that that the APS-C MILC market is also dying. The starting point should be that the DSLR market is dying, both FF and crop. The reason is that today the MILC cameras are superior to DSLRs (Thank you, Sony!). They are smaller, lighter, less complex, and have additional capabilities (face and eye focus). But judging from what data we do have, crop MILCs are doing very well indeed. But the smartphones keep trying to nibble away.

A comment to riker. I paired my EF-S 17-55/2.8 with a Sigma 50-150/2.8 II which was a rather decent crop alternative to the 70-200/2.8. That was a pretty good combination. When supplemented with the 10-22 I had a three zoom outfit with 15x range, with nearly 9x being f/2.8. And I have shot the moon with Rebels and 400/2.8 plus 2x extender and 500/4.5. You do what works even if it looks silly to the purists.

As said in my previous post, when a commercial shoot comes along (not often these days) I shoot with my 5D series. But for personal shooting my M5 and M6 II and EF-M mount lenses are much kinder to an old man's back. I have both non macro primes, also Sigma 16 and 56 1.4 primes and a Viltrox 23/1.4. Then what another poster called fun lenses, Laowa 9/2.8, Rokinon 12/2.0, Mitakon 35/0.95, and Kamlan 50/1.1 both I and II. As for quality, remember that the heralded 5D III has 22.3 Mp (yes, I know there is more to quality than just Mps). And there are seven years between the 5D III and the M6 II sensors. For those who dislike any APS-C sensor, feel free to do so. But don't knock the format if you haven't really tried it. I am exceedingly pleased with the image quality I get from my M system. And for the people who scream for a new 7 series camera, just accept the 90 D. I know it only takes one card and it isn't as solid as the 7. But it will give you a vast quality improvement.

All images are from the M5. The white cat with the Sigma 16/1.4, girl with hat Sigma 56/1.4, and girl w/o hat EF-M 32/1.4, all indeed shot at f/1.4!
Ed.IMG_2123.JPGEd.IMG_2123.JPGEmIMG_1909.JPGEm.IMG_2638.JPG

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
"Buying a crop sensor wide-angle lens does not make much sense to me. "
That makes no sense to me. As a crop user the 10-22 gives me a fantastic wide field. For landscapes- you can get a whole rainbow plus secondary in the frame.
But if you have a ff body the equivalent is 16-35 or something. Unless, of course, you are able to afford all the EF stuff like 11-22.
As regards the demise of M, it would not surprise me at all that Canon would want ALL of its bodies to have the 12-pin connections of RF going forward. I would fully expect an RFM equivalent.
And possibly an R7 which might be the 7D3 I was hoping for.
I got excellent results with my 10-22mm lens on my Rebel. I made a little money with it shooting interiors for real estate. My clients were pleased with the results. After I got a FF camera, I still needed to use it and the Rebel until I got the excellent 16-35mm zoom.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
The EF-M mount is 1 mm larger than Sony's E mount and they use it on their full frame cameras. I don't think the outer diameter is a restriction.
All Canon EF-M lenses have the same outer diameter. It has nothing to do with Sony or the size of the mount. It seems to be simply a nice gimmick to me, and I don't think they even advertise that all their lenses only differ slightly in length.

But as long as they don't make thicker lenses, certain designs are not feasible and therefore the EF-M lens line up looks pretty much complete to. Me.

Upvote 0
- "Forecasting is difficult, particularly about the future!" A company entering a new market or a new segment will look at existing data, evaluate costs and pricing options. They will then estimate sales levels at various price points. Based on their analysis Sigma decided to enter the market segment of APS-C mirrorless primes, believing they could make money there with their f/1.4 Contemporary trio due to high quality and very competitive pricing. The fact that they have not abandoned this market segment indicated to me that they consider it profitable.

- A backorder situation arises when your sales exceed your forecast. Your ability to ameliorate the situation may indeed depend upon current capacity utilization. But in any manufacturing operation there is almost always a certain amount of slack. If you look at the car manufacturing process (admittedly a less than perfect simile) you can first go to shift overtime, then to weekend work, at which point it may become cost effective to expand to one more shift. Reading the tea leaves I deduce that Sigma significantly underestimated demand for the EF-M mount. If the M mount was selling faster than the other mounts the logical response would be to focus production on the Canon version, which might then lead to a backorder situation for the other versions. But backordered absolutely means higher than EXPECTED sales.

And, no, I don't know sales volume by mount. Nor do I know total sales. All these numbers are relatively closely held. But let us now, for sake of the discussion accept that that the Canon M system is likely the best selling MILC system out there. There are many indications that this is the case, and very few contraindications. Combine this with the fact that the Canon M only had two general purpose primes and it is likely that Sigma saw a significant underserved market segment. And, as above, they seem to have been even more right than they expected.

Re R vs. M sales levels and profitability. Again, no, I don't know, nor do I think many people outside the company do. Certainly unit profit contribution is unknown. B&H and Adorama can certainly tell us about unit breakdown in the markets they serve, but that breakdown is likely not representative of the total US market. It seems that available data show vastly higher M unit sales than R sales. That is the same as we saw with the DSLR market, many, many more Rebels (and X0Ds) than 6Ds, 5Ds, and 1Ds. Canon made tons of money off the Rebels (I should know, I bought eight of them!) and I am pretty sure that the M is not a Nonprofit part of the organization. The data we have are not "meaningless", they are incomplete and segmented, but we can still infer conclusions.

The APS-C DSLR market is/has indeed collapsed. But it is a fallacy to conclude from that that the APS-C MILC market is also dying. The starting point should be that the DSLR market is dying, both FF and crop. The reason is that today the MILC cameras are superior to DSLRs (Thank you, Sony!). They are smaller, lighter, less complex, and have additional capabilities (face and eye focus). But judging from what data we do have, crop MILCs are doing very well indeed. But the smartphones keep trying to nibble away.

-

Third party companies like Sigma often enter niches that they think won't be served by OEMs. Sigma producing those lenses is hardly proof that it makes sense for Canon. The same away all the interesting lenses put out by companies like Lawoa don't prove there is a market for Canon.

If anything Sigma doing well is bad news. It shows how little interest Canon has. Good Sigma sales should have encouraged Canon to release OEM products. They didn't.

We may not have worldwide sales numbers but the Japanese retail numbers are published I think quarterly. What they tend to show is the number of units below FF is fairly high. But the revenue per unit is much lower.

The last quarter numbers showed that in Japan FF is now over 25% of the total revenue. In spite of being only 10% of the volume. It's hard to believe the profit margin is the same . Even if it is that means you need to sell three sub FF cameras to equal one FF.

What those numbers also show is sub FF has shrunk. That's all the sub FF. Including MFT which is unlikely caused by people shifting from DSLRs. OTOH FF is holding up.

Before somebody claims those retail reports are only for Japan earlier in this thread it was claimed that Japan was a market that liked smaller cameras more than the rest of the world. If that's true the numbers for sub FF are likely worse in the rest of the world.

Upvote 0
It's not as easy as you want to show it. The main advantage of the M series (for me) is portability.
Small body with good advanced functions, small and good optics (mostly not very bright, but still very useful).
For example, when I look at Fuji, I see
XF16-55mm with 655g and ø83.3mm x 106.0mm for about $ 950
vs EF-M 15-45 IS STM with 130g ø60.9mm x 44.5mm for $ 275
or
XF55-200mmF3.5-4.8 R LM OIS 580g and 118mm for $ 640
vs. EF-M 55-200 4.5-6.3 IS STM 260g and 86mm for $ 250

Fuji is not bad, no question about it, but whether with the R system or with Fuji, I lose the main advantage - small size and weight. The prices are also not comparable.
It's a good system, but not an alternative. Bigger, heavier, more expensive. So I can go straight to RF, which is more future-proof than Fuji.
What I would like to get from M-System is a newer alternative for my M5 that already has 120,000 on the counter.

Hi Alkar

I've had the bottom three lenses and you aren't comparing like with like.

The Fuji XC lenses are on a par with the M-Glass size wise and give very good bang for buck. Stick XC glass on an X-T30 (As new used £569 from MPB. Better performance than M series, better build quality and 4K with no crop) and you have a light weight system that is better than the M50, particularly the sensor and processor, and M glass. I say that having used both set ups, though I didn't keep the 30 as I went for the new X-S10 instead.

If you want to stick with Canon then I agree the R system is the better bet. I don't think Canon are really committed to the Crop F any more. They made a rod for their own back when they introduced the 7D MkII as people want a mirrorless equivalent with CF. Hence the huge amounts of emotion and wind spent commenting on sites like this. I predict a lot of disappointed people for the foreseeable.

Upvote 0