It may be quite a wait for the 5Ds and 5Ds R

The various articles that I read about the new full frames had gotten me hot to trot. I am excited about the 5Ds R as both a landscape and a closeup camera and was ready to pull the trigger. I'd assumed that today's anticipated announcement would mean that I could pre-order today and I was prepared to wait a few weeks for delivery. But, no one's allowing pre-orders at this time and to my dismay, the Amazon website says no pre-orders until April 30! That suggests that it may be July before these cameras are actually in consumers' hands. That's a long time to wait for a product and, to be honest, I wish Canon had either been quicker to get these cameras to market or had delayed its announcement by a couple of months. Getting my hopes up and then telling me that I'll have to wait -- probably for 1/2 year -- is a bummer. :-[

steven kessel said:
The various articles that I read about the new full frames had gotten me hot to trot. I am excited about the 5Ds R as both a landscape and a closeup camera and was ready to pull the trigger. I'd assumed that today's anticipated announcement would mean that I could pre-order today and I was prepared to wait a few weeks for delivery. But, no one's allowing pre-orders at this time and to my dismay, the Amazon website says no pre-orders until April 30! That suggests that it may be July before these cameras are actually in consumers' hands. That's a long time to wait for a product and, to be honest, I wish Canon had either been quicker to get these cameras to market or had delayed its announcement by a couple of months. Getting my hopes up and then telling me that I'll have to wait -- probably for 1/2 year -- is a bummer. :-[

Were you around for the 5D3 release ? ......

Upvote 0

tomscott

Photographer & Graphic Designer
The reason is that canon is worried about people migrating to other brands. I would suggest this is to differ users from switching and to be able to jump to 50mp first. I would say we will see an announcement from Nikon and Sony fairly sharpish and we will probably see them coming to market quicker than the Canon.

Hopefully it won't be a big blow if the new Sony sensor is hot and blows another hole just as Canon catches up.

I fully expect the 5D4 to be the low light king and jack of all trades with a new sensor that it and the 1DX will probably share.

Upvote 0
steven kessel said:
I wish Canon had either been quicker to get these cameras to market or had delayed its announcement by a couple of months.

There is really no way Canon, or any camera manufacturer can win.

If they delayed the announcement, then people will complain "how come xxx is not coming out with a new camera?"

If they make the announcement right before the release, people will complain "how come they did not announce this new model earlier? I just bought the current system which will magically become useless once the new model comes out! They should have told us earlier."

If they make the announcement early, the people will complain about being teased and forced to wait.

No way they can win.

Upvote 0

Rahul

Wish I had more time to shoot
Jan 28, 2015
I speculate that the quick announcement is probably for bragging rights. Canon would have probably wanted to be the first to offer a 50mp DSLR and rushed the announcement.

The leaks in this case were confounding. Canon has remained quite discreet about its gear releases but this time the specs and even the press release was leaked - intentionally, maybe so.

Upvote 0

K

Jan 29, 2015
The internet reviewers, bloggers and Youtuber's all say they have it on pre-order. So perhaps there is a selective pre-order process? Maybe you have to be known "media" to get on the pre-pre-order list? While many claim to be unbiased or not connected to the manufacturers or major retailers - this is NOT the truth. They get first crack at new gear and free gear in exchange for reviews. If they want the freebies to keep flowing, then reviews need to be fair to positive at the least. That is why you rarely hear anything negative.

In any event, with a release of June, with the pre-orders that will pile up - those who decide to buy closer to release date may have to wait quite a bit longer than that....

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
K said:
The internet reviewers, bloggers and Youtuber's all say they have it on pre-order. So perhaps there is a selective pre-order process? Maybe you have to be known "media" to get on the pre-pre-order list? While many claim to be unbiased or not connected to the manufacturers or major retailers - this is NOT the truth. They get first crack at new gear and free gear in exchange for reviews. If they want the freebies to keep flowing, then reviews need to be fair to positive at the least. That is why you rarely hear anything negative.

In any event, with a release of June, with the pre-orders that will pile up - those who decide to buy closer to release date may have to wait quite a bit longer than that....

I pre-ordered through a local vendor.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
K said:
Or maybe the answer is simpler than that - maybe certain retailers are offering pre-order and others not!

8)

I doubt on my vendor's side it's as sophisticated as large retailers like BHPhoto and Amazon who likely have an information flow with Canon in order to better facilitate bulk orders. My shop just knows he'll get some and wants to sell what he gets.

From the consumer perspective, it's pretty much the same experience, whether or not it has some official hook to Canon: here's my credit card, run it to make sure it's real, and charge it when the item hits your stock.

Upvote 0
AcutancePhotography said:
steven kessel said:
I wish Canon had either been quicker to get these cameras to market or had delayed its announcement by a couple of months.
There is really no way Canon, or any camera manufacturer can win.

A statement more precise then "somewhen in the future" would be nice. Are we talking about end march or end of september?

Upvote 0

dcm

Enjoy the gear you have!
Canon Rumors Premium
Apr 18, 2013
Colorado, USA
Somewhere I read Canon was still waiting for regulatory clearance in the US so the product could not officially be sold (even preordered) yet. Similar things have happened before - an Apple iPhone release was held up in China for regulatory approvals a while back from what I remember.

Upvote 0

Marsu42

Canon Pride.
Feb 7, 2012
Berlin
der-tierfotograf.de
AcutancePhotography said:
There is really no way Canon, or any camera manufacturer can win. If they make the announcement early, the people will complain about being teased and forced to wait. No way they can win.

I'm not so sure there, it depends on the frequency of updates and the differences between these.

If a manufacturer updates their products regularly in an evolutionary way, they can very well make an announcement - for example there's nothing wrong with buying a Rebel 650d at a good price vs. waiting for a Rebel 700d, it's more or less a wash. Sony seems to go that way for their whole line and make estimations like Intel with their cpu line.

If a manufacturer leaves large gaps between irregular product updates and has a big stockpile of them, esp. if they are expensive like Canon with the 5d or 1d, they don't want to devalue it half a year before the next release. This is Canon's method (until the 5ds which is a marketing device to pre-empt Sony's new sensor). I feel that this "black box" release cycle rather prohibits investments as you always have to fear to be one day too early with buying, even though you can guess when the next one might arrive.

Upvote 0