New Canon EOS R3 orders may be delayed for more than 6 months

Two years ago the MkIII was the top of the line camera. According to the different photo magazines, suddenly it is not worth anything anymore, the R3 is the new reference.
I think this is pure marketing and Canon's attitude is not very clear about the delivery of the R3.
I really doubt that there is no stock somewhere.
What is certain is that the best deal at the moment is to buy used MkIIIs, also the prices of used EF lenses are falling.
MkIII is a great camera.
I'm a pro shooter who has used the 1 series for about 20 years. I have an R3 and in my opinion it has a 5 series sensor in terms of color and tonal quality. At least with JPEGs using the Standard profile, I'm not seeing the pop of the 1 series images.

I like the controls of the R3 and the autofocus is impressive. But expect a little less than 1 series image quality.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Anybody thT
I'm a pro shooter who has used the 1 series for about 20 years. I have an R3 and in my opinion it has a 5 series sensor in terms of color and tonal quality. At least with JPEGs using the Standard profile, I'm not seeing the pop of the 1 series images.

I like the controls of the R3 and the autofocus is impressive. But expect a little less than 1 series image quality.
Anybody that can't get their out of camera jpegs looking exactly how they want simply needs to spend a half hour getting it right in the Picture Style Editor utility that comes free with all Canon cameras.

As much control as anybody could ever want do it one time, make some custom Styles, import to your camera, done.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The supply chain constraints just got a lot worse what with a limited availability of neon, which are used in semiconductor manufacturing, being strained by the Ukraine invasion.
Now it is the war in Ukraine that is the good excuse. Let's be reasonable, long time before the war, Canon could not deliver. All excuses are good.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Now it is the war in Ukraine that is the good excuse. Let's be reasonable, long time before the war, Canon could not deliver. All excuses are good.
Pointing out that major events can have consequences on global supply chains is perfectly reasonable. What point are you trying to make?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Pointing out that major events can have consequences on global supply chains is perfectly reasonable. What point are you trying to make?
I'm not OP but I think he is saying the camera industry often was slow to timely meet product demand of products well before "supply chain," "world-wide chip shortage," and "Covid" was in the popular vernacular or "Ukraine" was leading the news cycle for day on end. Sure these events spill over into industry, but what was the excuse in relatively mundane times of 2010-2019?

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
I'm not OP but I think he is saying the camera industry often was slow to timely meet product demand of products well before "supply chain," "world-wide chip shortage," and "Covid" was in the popular vernacular or "Ukraine" was leading the news cycle for day on end. Sure these events spill over into industry, but what was the excuse in relatively mundane times of 2010-2019?
How about a tsunami and nuclear plant meltdown in Japan in 2011?

Upvote 0
How about a tsunami and nuclear plant meltdown in Japan in 2011?

For sure it hurt Canon's bottom line but Canon itself issued a press release at the time stating "all Canon Inc. operation sites and Canon Group companies are expected to achieve a full recovery as of the end of April." Compare that to recent Canon press releases warning to expect long delays.

Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
For sure it hurt Canon's bottom line but Canon itself issued a press release at the time stating "all Canon Inc. operation sites and Canon Group companies are expected to achieve a full recovery as of the end of April." Compare that to recent Canon press releases warning to expect long delays.

Why the argument? Seems like for the sake of it.

These events are accompanied by losses of life, property and infrastructure. Well documented global suffering, on a human, wildlife and corporate level. I'm sensing there are some who can't accept reasons due to a skepticism of copping out and playing a blame game.

Do you have a salient point? All I'm hearing is people on the outside ,consumers, saying "Excuses, excuses, give it to me now" (Veruca Salt moment) Press releases of hopefulness are one thing, revisionism based upon them is another. Shit was bad for years... so much for that mundane decade.

Upvote 0
Why the argument? Seems like for the sake of it.

These events are accompanied by losses of life, property and infrastructure. Well documented global suffering, on a human, wildlife and corporate level. I'm sensing there are some who can't accept reasons due to a skepticism of copping out and playing a blame game.

Do you have a salient point? All I'm hearing is people on the outside ,consumers, saying "Excuses, excuses, give it to me now" (Veruca Salt moment) Press releases of hopefulness are one thing, revisionism based upon them is another. Shit was bad for years... so much for that mundane decade.

Argument? You asked me about 2011 so I responded to how Canon responded then. And my original post was only to say what I thought OP was trying to say. I see his point. I also realize the current constraints are both real and unimportant "big picture" too. Both can be true, have been true. But there have been camera releases pre-Covid that didn't catch up with demand for month. It's not a new phenomena, just exacerbated now.

Also, I have no skin in the game. I don't own a single share of Canon stock, and do own all the cameras and lenses I need or want at the moment.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The good news about neon, is the "mine" is our atmosphere. Ukraine isn't special for neon (like, for example, the Democratic Republic of the Congo is for cobalt) because they have all the deposits; there are no deposits. Any country on earth can build a neon production plant; it's just that Ukraine was the country that chose to do so.

So a neon shortage won't last long, once people realize Ukraine is off line and conclude it's not likely to come back soon.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The good news about neon, is the "mine" is our atmosphere. Ukraine isn't special for neon (like, for example, the Democratic Republic of the Congo is for cobalt) because they have all the deposits; there are no deposits. Any country on earth can build a neon production plant; it's just that Ukraine was the country that chose to do so.

So a neon shortage won't last long, once people realize Ukraine is off line and conclude it's not likely to come back soon.
Wait, so you’re telling me the futures I bought in a neon mine are worthless? :mad:

Well, at least helium mine still has a chance of panning out. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
Wait, so you’re telling me the futures I bought in a neon mine are worthless? :mad:

Ironically, yes. Though it's generally wells rather than what we'd think of as a mine. Most helium on earth is the result of radioactive decay (to be more precise, it's alpha particles) and is trapped in rocks, often alongside oil or natural gas.

(You probably know this; I write for the benefit of others who may find it interesting.)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

TAF

CR Pro
Feb 26, 2012

That is an interesting observation. I sold my 5D3 and got an R5, and I am not seeing the pop of the 5D3 in the JPEG's from the R5.

I just assumed it was my still having to adjust setting until I get them to match what I had before.

Perhaps it is something about Canon's mirrorless models that isn't quite the same in the processing chain as the DSLR's?

Do images from the R6 match the 1D3 from which the sensor is derived? That would be a good control test.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA

Helium? That might give a lift to an investment portfolio!

As for those who are so angry at Canon, well, it reminds me of a guy who doesn't dare get angry at his wife, so he slams the microwave door when nobody's home. In other words, there are SO many things beyond our control in modern living that having one punching bag (in this case, for some, Canon) is therapeutic.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for those who are so angry at Canon, well, it reminds me of a guy who doesn't dare get angry at his wife, so he slams the microwave door when nobody's home.
Nonono, the storyline is much longer than that: the CEO is angry with his wife, but takes it out on the VP. The VP takes it out on the Director, the Director on the Manager, the Manager on the line supervisor, the supervisor on the workers, the worker on the kid and the kid on the dog.
And everyone complains about the dog bites people.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
My R3 arrived yesterday, February 28. I preordered it on September 14th, a couple of hours after preorders were first accepted. If I'm interpreting the serial number correctly, it is surprisingly low - just over 500. Is the number of units produced so far really that low?
Are you simply assuming the last six digits are sequential? If so, my R3 received in late November was produced after yours. And my EOS R ordered about four months post-launch (and delivered the next day) was about the 2000th one produced. I’m skeptical of that interpretation.

Recent Canon xD (where 'x' is a single digit number) body serial numbers usually have a 4+4+4 format. The second group of four digits indicate the series (if a part supplier of a significant part is replaced, or a part design is updated they go to the next series number). The first two digits of the first group seem to run sequentially within each second group number. The third and fourth digit of the first group is almost always the same for any particular model number. The third quartet seem to be sequential, but lower numbers (e.g. 1218 or 3257) are much more common than higher ones (e.g. 7942, 5749), at least for xD models (as opposed to higher volume x0D, or xx00D models).

For the 5DMark IV, for instance, the middle quartet seems to ALWAYS end with two zeros. For the first quartet the third digit is ALMOST ALWAYS "2" and the fourth digit is ALMOST ALWAYS "0"

Look at used 5D Mark IV bodies on MPB. There are about 60 listed for sale that have legible serial numbers in the product photos. I saw none that did not have "00" for the seventh and eighth digits. I saw four that did not have "20" as the third+fourth digits:

(spaces added to make the 12 digit numbers more readable as 4+4+4 numbers)

1121 5500 0126
1280 5500 5498
1750 5600 4664
3580 3700 4812

Of the roughly sixty serial numbers, only six end with four digits greater than 5000. Only one has a number higher than 5999 for the last four digits (0220 2100 7942). Greater than 75% (47) of the 60 end with a four digit number below 2800. 40 of the 60 end with a four digit number below 2000.

The second quartet has one number that shows up over and over again: 3800 (with 19 examples, it's roughly one-third of our sample). A few each make up about 10% of our sample: 2100 (6), 3700 (5), 5300 (4), 5500 (7), 5600 (6), 5700 (8). Other groups show up much less frequently: 2300 (2), 2700 (1), 3000 (1).

The "3700" series begins with two digits ranging from '35' to '40' (3520 3700 0801, 4020 3700 3836).
The "3800" series begins with two digits ranging from '45' to '59' (e.g. 4520 3800 0914, 5920 3800 1905).
The "5300" series ranges from '06' to '08' (0620 5300 2101 , 0820 5300 1811).
The "5500" series ranges from '11' to '14' (1120 5500 0192, 1420 5500 2705).
The "5600" series ranges from '15' to '18' (1520 5600 4664, 1820 5600 0509).
The "5700" series ranges from '05'* to '23' to '30' in our sample (0520 5700 1404, 2320 5700 5134, 3020 5700 0873).
The "2100" series ranges from '01' to '02' (0120 2100 0256, 0220 2100 7942).

Both "2300" bodies start with '06'. Notice this is in the same range as the "5300" series.
The "2700" body starts with '37'. Notice this is in the same range as the "3700" series.
The "3000" body starts with '59'. Notice this is in the same range as the "3800" series.

It seems to me that the first two digits and the last four digits combined make up a unique six digit serial number, with the third through eighth digits indicating production runs and/or minor modifications as the model was revised over time.

*There are some exceptions to the sequence of the first two digits staying within a certain range for each "series", but the only one not noted above with the less used "series" numbers is 0520 5700 1404. That makes me question if I copied the number incorrectly when going through the photos at MPB? If I wrote "0" when I should have written "2", the pattern holds.

These kinds of patterns seem similar to the differences between many Canon bodies' external serial number and the value recorded in the 'maker notes' section of the EXIF info. The internal number is a combination of the first four characters of the hex resulting from the entire external serial number converted to hex, then the remaining hex characters converted back to decimal. [Example: My 50D's serial number is 1520708485. 1520708485 converted to hex is "5AA42B85". EXIF Info reports the number as 5AA411141. DPP shows it as 1520708485. Irfanview displays it as 1520708485 (5AA411141). Hmm... If one converts 11141 to hex, it's "2B85"! If one then converts hex "5AA42B85" to decimal it's the serial number stamped on the bottom of my camera, 1520708485.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016
I think your assumption is wrong. My R5 and my wife's R5 were both ordered and delivered on the same day (about a year after the R5 was introduced) and have a difference of over 200 in the serial numbers. Mine has a serial number ending in the 1500s, which means that by your calculation only 1,500 R5s were sold in the first year after they were introduced. Not bloody likely.

My R3, preordered within 10 minutes of orders being taken and shipped on opening day, has a higher serial number than yours.

Check the dates on those websites you looked at. As I recall, Canon changed it's lens numbering system several years ago and no longer identifies the city where they were assembled.

The L lenses still more or less identify the factory that assembled it via the third digit "batch" number, but they no longer use a separate date/factory code to do so, as they did in the past. It's now encoded in the longer 10-digit serial numbers.

Upvote 0