It's Time to Vote on Your Favourite Gear From Canon in 2017

michi

EOS RP
Jul 26, 2011
I'm not going to vote on the cameras, because none of them were exciting enough for me to consider. The 85 1.4 L IS is on my shopping list, very excited about it.

mb66energy

EOS R
Dec 18, 2011
Germany
www.MichaelBockhorst.de
Sharlin said:
chrysoberyl said:
I readily admit that my grasp of optical physics is limited. I read this forum to alleviate that. Thank you for your informative although sometimes sarcastic posts.

The greater the focal length of a lens, the more it magnifies. Keeping object distance the same, a telephoto lens renders it larger than a wideangle lens. This much should be obvious. But it also directly follows that if you want to render an object the same size with a wideangle as with a telephoto, you need to decrease the object distance. To get a 1:1 magnification with a 35mm lens then obviously requires a shorter focusing distance than with, say, a 100mm lens.

The distance between object and image plane is four times the focal length if you have a 1:1 reproduction of the object if a single lens element is used. (e.g. 35mm lens - 140mm distance / 100mm lens - 400mm distance)

Complex lens designs use some tricks to do 1:1 like reducing the focal length a little bit for closer focus distances to get the 1:1 reproduction ratio with less travel/material. But if you look at the second table in the following link from Bryan Carnathans web page - https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-60mm-f-2.8-Macro-USM-Lens-Review.aspx - you see that the MFD is roughly twice the MWorkingD with some exceptions.

The Fat Fish

VFX Artist
Jul 29, 2017
Exeter, UK
The 6DII is my worst camera of the past few years. As a 6D owner I was early awaiting an upgrade but it really isn't much of one and in many ways is a step back. Such a shame.

jd7

EOS R
CR Pro
Feb 3, 2013
The Fat Fish said:
The 6DII is my worst camera of the past few years. As a 6D owner I was early awaiting an upgrade but it really isn't much of one and in many ways is a step back. Such a shame.

In what way/s is the 6D II a step back? I know it scores slightly lower DR at ISO 100 but is there anything else?

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jd7 said:
The Fat Fish said:

In what way/s is the 6D II a step back? I know it scores slightly lower DR at ISO 100 but is there anything else?

Yeah, touchscreen + DPAF + 6 more MP + 2.5 more fps + 34 more AF points + NFC / Bluetooth make photography worse for everyone. Total step backward. ::)

- A

Ryananthony

EOS RP
Nov 7, 2015
ahsanford said:
jd7 said:
The Fat Fish said:

Yeah, touchscreen + DPAF + 6 more MP + 2.5 more fps + 34 more AF points + NFC / Bluetooth make photography worse for everyone. Total step backward. ::)

- A

but the guy I saw on youtube said it sucked. ::)

<-- start Taboola -->