It's Time to Vote on Your Favourite Gear From Canon in 2017

Sharlin said:
chrysoberyl said:
I readily admit that my grasp of optical physics is limited. I read this forum to alleviate that. Thank you for your informative although sometimes sarcastic posts.

The greater the focal length of a lens, the more it magnifies. Keeping object distance the same, a telephoto lens renders it larger than a wideangle lens. This much should be obvious. But it also directly follows that if you want to render an object the same size with a wideangle as with a telephoto, you need to decrease the object distance. To get a 1:1 magnification with a 35mm lens then obviously requires a shorter focusing distance than with, say, a 100mm lens.

The distance between object and image plane is four times the focal length if you have a 1:1 reproduction of the object if a single lens element is used. (e.g. 35mm lens - 140mm distance / 100mm lens - 400mm distance)

Complex lens designs use some tricks to do 1:1 like reducing the focal length a little bit for closer focus distances to get the 1:1 reproduction ratio with less travel/material. But if you look at the second table in the following link from Bryan Carnathans web page - https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-60mm-f-2.8-Macro-USM-Lens-Review.aspx - you see that the MFD is roughly twice the MWorkingD with some exceptions.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jd7 said:
The Fat Fish said:
The 6DII is my worst camera of the past few years. As a 6D owner I was early awaiting an upgrade but it really isn't much of one and in many ways is a step back. Such a shame.

In what way/s is the 6D II a step back? I know it scores slightly lower DR at ISO 100 but is there anything else?

Yeah, touchscreen + DPAF + 6 more MP + 2.5 more fps + 34 more AF points + NFC / Bluetooth make photography worse for everyone. Total step backward. ::)

- A

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
jd7 said:
The Fat Fish said:
The 6DII is my worst camera of the past few years. As a 6D owner I was early awaiting an upgrade but it really isn't much of one and in many ways is a step back. Such a shame.

In what way/s is the 6D II a step back? I know it scores slightly lower DR at ISO 100 but is there anything else?

Yeah, touchscreen + DPAF + 6 more MP + 2.5 more fps + 34 more AF points + NFC / Bluetooth make photography worse for everyone. Total step backward. ::)

- A

but the guy I saw on youtube said it sucked. ::)

Upvote 0