It's Time to Vote on Your Favourite Gear From Canon in 2017

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Tangent said:
Number one on my wish list for 2018 is a Canon 6D mk III with a new sensor with high DR. And a wider spread on the AF points. And more versatility of video output. And maybe 4k, too, why not?

This is a minor refresh -- just a few things to change -- so we shouldn't have to wait 5 years for it!!! ::)

Canon's got you covered here

- A

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
ahsanford said:
Tangent said:
Number one on my wish list for 2018 is a Canon 6D mk III with a new sensor with high DR. And a wider spread on the AF points. And more versatility of video output. And maybe 4k, too, why not?

This is a minor refresh -- just a few things to change -- so we shouldn't have to wait 5 years for it!!! ::)

Yeah, but it costs more. Canon needs to just sell the 5DIV for the price of a T3i. Or else they're doomed.

Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
neuroanatomist said:
chrysoberyl said:
SkynetTX said:
The minimum focusing distance of the EF-S 35mm is a way too short

Totally agree; I was interested until I saw that.

As opposed to all those other 28-35mm macro lenses with much longer MFDs? I mean, it's not like focal length is inversely related to MFD for a macro lens, or anything like that, right? Poor, uninnovative Canon, damn them for not being able to change the laws of optical physics. Or maybe it's just that you don't understand the relevant concepts... ::)

I thought Canon was a GOD and the laws of optics does not apply to their products :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
60cb1c8bf0b83547ce480ce1d6388803be6b54d17dd2b854f59008513b625e55.jpg

Upvote 0
ahsanford said:
Tangent said:

- A

But it's missing the tilt/flip screen.
If Canon were to add a tilt screen add a few more pieces to the video options to the 5dmk4, call it a 5dmk4c, I'd be in

Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
SkynetTX said:

Translation: The EF-S 35mm isn't the lens that I want and STUPID CANON for not doing an 60mm macro, a couple of 100mm macros or even a 180mm macro which would be FAR closer to what I WANT.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
jolyonralph said:
SkynetTX said:

Translation: The EF-S 35mm isn't the lens that I want and STUPID CANON for not doing an 60mm macro, a couple of 100mm macros or even a 180mm macro which would be FAR closer to what I WANT.

Sure, but understand that amateur lifestyle/travel instagram photography kind of blew up in the last few years. The EF-S bodies some of them were toting had zero 1:1 macro options to shoot their negroni, tiramisu or pork belly with without having to stand up from their seat to frame the entire glass/dish/plate. So Canon was very wise to offer these wider FL macro lenses, IMHO.

- A

Attachments

• AvTvM not so.jpg
    AvTvM not so.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 846
Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
Tangent said:

I'm hoping for an EF FF mirrorless that will be just as you describe.

Upvote 0
Jun 27, 2013
Pune
neuroanatomist said:
chrysoberyl said:
SkynetTX said:

Totally agree; I was interested until I saw that.

As opposed to all those other 28-35mm macro lenses with much longer MFDs? I mean, it's not like focal length is inversely related to MFD for a macro lens, or anything like that, right? Poor, uninnovative Canon, damn them for not being able to change the laws of optical physics. Or maybe it's just that you don't understand the relevant concepts... ::)
Here is a super convenient comparison chart of all 35/40mm Macro lenses made for SLRs. Of these Canon is the only one with IF which for some reason people dont find useful on such short macro lenses.
https://www.lenstip.com/porownaj.php?co=obiektyw&ile=5&add0=1458&add1=995&add2=1140&add3=862&add4=665

Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
Favourite 2017 Canon lens I voted for was Canon 85mm f/1.4 USM IS L
Favourite 2017 Canon body I voted for was Canon 77D (lots of bang for the buck)

Most wanted 2018 Canon item I voted for was Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM IS

I would have liked 2 categories to vote for the 'most wanted in 2018' section: 1 for lens and 1 for body.

So, for body, I would have voted for a 7DmkIII, as long as it has sensor image quality at least as good as the current 80D (which surpasses the 7DmkII). Otherwise, probably the 90D (unless it takes a step back in sensor image quality). A fully articulating screen would be a bonus on the 7DmkIII. Having said that, I am very happy with my 80D and selection of lenses.

Paul

Upvote 0