It's Time to Vote on Your Favourite Gear From Canon in 2017

Jul 21, 2010
Chaitanya said:
neuroanatomist said:
chrysoberyl said:
SkynetTX said:
The minimum focusing distance of the EF-S 35mm is a way too short

Totally agree; I was interested until I saw that.

As opposed to all those other 28-35mm macro lenses with much longer MFDs? I mean, it's not like focal length is inversely related to MFD for a macro lens, or anything like that, right? Poor, uninnovative Canon, damn them for not being able to change the laws of optical physics. Or maybe it's just that you don't understand the relevant concepts... ::)
Here is a super convenient comparison chart of all 35/40mm Macro lenses made for SLRs. Of these Canon is the only one with IF which for some reason people dont find useful on such short macro lenses.
https://www.lenstip.com/porownaj.php?co=obiektyw&ile=5&add0=1458&add1=995&add2=1140&add3=862&add4=665

Possibly people who don't grasp the important distinction between MFD and working distance, and the fact that a lens that physically extends as you focus closer affects only the more practically relevant of those two specifications.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
2017 is a year of complete disappointment for me from Canon. On the lens section the 85 1.4L IS is an awesome lens but I picked up the A9 and Zeiss Batis 85mm and in the future A7r III will replace the A9 for portraits. I am sure the new tilt shift lenses are amazing but I have no need for any of them. If I look back last few years Canon is always a disappointment in the body section. Initially with poor DR but at least they were very innovative on the video side with 5D2. Arguably canon created the DSLR video market and they led that market. Fast forward 5 years and canon has only one innovation dual pixel autofocus. I would argue Sony has already caught up with DPAF on a9 and a7r III. If Sony can get their act together with touch screens Canon's advantage with DPAF is gone. I know lot of Canon fans would disagree with me that's OK everybody is entitled to their opinions. In comparison to what other camera and smart phone companies have done in last 10 years I feel that canon has not done enough. I agree there are lot of patents. Patents does not mean anything to me as a consumer unless the patents were put to work in products that I can use.
So why am I here still with my canon gear and ranting here in CR and not pick up the tool I like?
1) QC and Standing behind their products
When I was looking to buy my first DSLR I liked Nikon's JPEGs (RAW processing was foreign for me at that time) but during my research I came across Nikon' infamous D600 oil spill fiasco and figured Nikon did not even want to acknowledge the problem initially. I made my decision. I am not buying products from a company that doesn't give a damm shit about its customers and not getting their act together to fix their own engineering disaster. As an engineer I know mistakes do happen. While designing, it is possible people overlook things. When such mistakes happen, I would expect the company to stand behind their product, not closing their ears, eyes and say there is no problem. This is my #1 reason for loving Canon. So far unless I am missing something every single time Canon had issued a recall or a fix even before anyone else complained about it. That shows how extensive their QC process is.
2) Lenses: I don't have to say this but I will anyways :) Canon' lenses are simply awesome in quality and variety and I own a lot of them including the 600 f/4 IS USM and 200 f/1.8
3) Wildlife and action: I am into wildlife photography, IMO there is simply no option on the Sony side (lens+ body + support). Even if Sony comes up with a 600 f/4 I guess it is going to be $15k to 16k which is beyond my reach. Despite whatever Sony fanboys on YouTube saying how awesome Sony is (I remember one claiming a6300 targeted for wildlife), Sony is not an option for wildlife photography or professional sports photography. Yes, they have 100-400 but that is the most expensive 100-400 with Sony' mediocre QC process... more on that below.
4) Customer Support: Every single time I have spoken to a customer support person in Canon I always felt like I am speaking someone who is a subject matter expert (SME) Vs Sony always clueless people. I feel like I know about their products better than their customer support people.
5) Service: Over the last 8 years one of my Canon' lens required service. Yes, I have a distinct advantage with Canon' service center being 45 mins drive from my place of work and I dropped it and picked it up 3 days later. There is nothing to complain about on the service or the treatment I received at the service facility.

So am I happy with Sony, Does Sony serves my purpose? I wish the answer was yes and I would have simply dumped canon and moved on and not sitting here and ranting. My problems with Sony are
1) QC: I would argue Sony uses their customers to do the QC for them. I bought a a6000 and could not stand its AF. when compared to a Rebel t5i I had at that time if I get about 2/3 keepers out of T5i I would get 1/3 keepers out of a6000. Either bad focus or shot missed due to shutter lag. I simply returned it. After looking at the rave reviews from so many for a6000 I can only assume I had a bad copy. I bought a a6300 and loved it. When a6500 came out I sold my a6300 and bought a6500. I felt that was a terrible mistake. Unfortunately, the image quality of the a6500 was not as good as my old a6300. All my image quality comparisons are with the same Sony Zeiss 55mm f/1.8 lens so, I know it is not the lens. Unfortunately, I picked up the a6500 used and got stuck with it. Eventually I sold it. Don't get me wrong the copy of a6500 was not bad but the a6300 blow me away in the image quality department. That wow factor was missing on the a6500.
2) Build quality: Despite the Sony fan boy' claim on YouTube I have heard complaints about Sony' lenses breaking from the mount, etc. and the copy to copy variation from lensrentals. I can safely conclude their build quality is awful. I know lately there were reports including lensrentals claiming build quality improvements from Sony but IMHO only time will tell how good are these improvements.
3) Customer service: I already addressed this
4) Specs: Mostly Sony are good on paper. For e.g. you will see almost all reviewers on YouTube praising the eye auto focus and electronic shutter on a9. Yes, eye auto focus works very well when the subject is still or moving at a slow pace. Kids running around or jumping forget it. No, I am not talking about adapted lenses. On the electronic shutter, freaking Sony could not get the flash to work at any shutter speed. I remember one famous photographer and reviewer on YouTube saying "imagine in a quiet church using that electronic shutter" what does that get you especially indoors and dimly lit situations when it does not fire a flash at all? BTW my a9 makes a simulated shutter release sound I am yet to figure out if there is a way to stop it. I want it completely quiet. This is what I learnt, do not believe all reviewers, try to read between lines. One technique I feel most reviewers using is they purposely avoid the negatives of any camera other than Canon :D. So if they aren't talking about something most likely there is an issue with that.
I got the a9 and Zeiss batis 85mm like 3 weeks ago and used it alongside my 5D4 to shoot a friend's daughter's birthday party, I must admit it is a pleasure to use the a9. Every single time I take the a9 out I think "I wish this was a canon". At this point I would say for Video and still except wildlife and action Sony is the best pick, for all kinds of stills Nikon is the best pick (obviously they do not stand behind their products like Canon) and Canon is for canon fans and those like me who are stuck with Canon for its lenses including our own investments in to them and other goodies. After improving DR on the 5D4 who the hell in his/her right mind will decide to implement a sensor with terrible DR worse than 6D on the 6D2? I know fan boys always have justification and I also know DR isn't everything but after using 7D, 6D, 5DSr, 5D4 and few Sonys DR does matter. Canon has the best video focus in the industry. Had they let 4k30 RAW video out of 5D4 that would have made so many hybrid shooters happy. The technology was there Canon simply decided to nerf it to save their Cine line. I know Canon is still the leader in terms of market share including mirror less cameras. IMO it is not going to last for long if they continue to trail in implementing features their competitors have. Remember Nikon was the leader in photography for years before Canon took over. I am not claiming Cannon is doomed but to continue the market leader position Canon has to do more.
At a bare minimum in 2018 I am hoping to see a 5DSr2 with DR like or better than 5D4, decent FPS, automatic focus stacking like D850 and fully articulating touch screen (basically a viable competitor for D850 for stills). I do not want more than 50 MP. I don't even care if it mirrored or mirror less. I would also like a 135 f/2 with IS but body is more important to me. The D850 is a killer stills camera. Hope Canon will step up their game and come with something competitive. I am not the one asking for all these at the price of rebel. I will gladly pay even little more than the competition but give me the features that your competition has. I wish Canon did not get in to the business of Cinema line of camera's. I strongly believe Canon would lead the pack even now if there were no Cinema line of cameras. Hope I do not have to say good bye to Canon one day. No, I am not the one that claims being loyal to a brand or anything like that. I like Canon products, service, customer support, etc. I also enjoyed the technical edge Canon had over their competitors. Over the years Canon has simply lost the technical edge and it is not because they are technically incompetent. They simply choose not to be competitive to save their Cine line and their flagship products. I am hoping this trend will change in 2018.

Upvote 0
leadin2 said:
I bought the EF-S 35mm Macro and used it on my M6 for holidays this year. I really enjoyed shooting with M6 using the tilt and touch screen. It is much lighter than my FF and better image quality than my previous G5X. Really happy with this year’s release. I hope that Canon can release a FF mirrorless soon! :)
bereninga said:
I also think the M6 is an underrated camera with lots of good features, one being focus-peaking for manually focusing during video. I think this is a feature not found on many Canons.
Another underrated feature of the M6 is that people can buy the silver version, which has a "vintage" look that makes it sexy as the (silver) Fuji X-T20 (which I find a gorgeous camera, BTW).
An old car-makers motto used to sound like "building a beautiful rather than a ugly product has no impact on production costs", and Canon seems to have understood the importance of sexyness in developing its products.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
chrysoberyl said:
SkynetTX said:

Totally agree; I was interested until I saw that.

As opposed to all those other 28-35mm macro lenses with much longer MFDs? I mean, it's not like focal length is inversely related to MFD for a macro lens, or anything like that, right? Poor, uninnovative Canon, damn them for not being able to change the laws of optical physics. Or maybe it's just that you don't understand the relevant concepts... ::)

I readily admit that my grasp of optical physics is limited. I read this forum to alleviate that. Thank you for your informative although sometimes sarcastic posts.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
neuroanatomist said:
ahsanford said:
Tangent said:
Number one on my wish list for 2018 is a Canon 6D mk III with a new sensor with high DR. And a wider spread on the AF points. And more versatility of video output. And maybe 4k, too, why not?

This is a minor refresh -- just a few things to change -- so we shouldn't have to wait 5 years for it!!! ::)

Canon's got you covered here

Yeah, but it costs more. Canon needs to just sell the 5DIV for the price of a T3i. Or else they're doomed.
The reality is the Canon 6D MKII with a wider AF spread (not more AF points) and slightly better DR on the sensor was perfectly within their abilities and would not have damaged 5D MKIV sales. Ive bought the 6D MKII its a good camera, it could have been better and still maintained differential to higher priced offerings. I'm as loyal as you are to Canon that doesn't mean being a slave and agreeing with everything they do. I don't know about North America but in the UK £ 2K is still a lot of money and well above a Rebel in pricing that's what a 6D MKII costs.

Upvote 0
Feb 28, 2013
The 6D MKII is definitely a Marmite camera just as the original 6D was (you love it or hate it). Where it works it works really well i.e. tilty / flippy screen, touch screen etc. but the AF spread should have been wider for full-frame and whilst Ive had truly great shots from the 6D MKII a touch more DR would definitely have been preferable.

The next Canon item on my personal list for 2018 is the new EF 85mm f1.4L IS USM I'm not in the market for another camera in 2018 the 5DS and the 6D MKII cover my needs at present.

Upvote 0
jeffa4444 said:
The 6D MKII is definitely a Marmite camera just as the original 6D was (you love it or hate it). Where it works it works really well i.e. tilty / flippy screen, touch screen etc. but the AF spread should have been wider for full-frame
I can't imagine that the AF spread on the 6D2 is worse than the 5D4 when you only use cross type points. Especially for lenses slower than f/4 (like 100-400) the horizontal spread on the 5D4 is ridiculous.

Upvote 0
Oct 10, 2015
jolyonralph said:
SkynetTX said:

Translation: The EF-S 35mm isn't the lens that I want and STUPID CANON for not doing an 60mm macro, a couple of 100mm macros or even a 180mm macro which would be FAR closer to what I WANT.

Canon already has a 60mm macro.

Upvote 0
Yasko said:
Let down of the year was sadly the 6D mk II sensorwise...
The rest of the camera I like... may be a little larger AF point spread but well, you can't have it all I guess.

See, I voted *for* the 6D2 because although I'll probably not get one, it answered almost all common criticisms of the 6D - namely, it offered a better AF system, a mobile screen, and the price wasn't bumped up appreciably*. The DR thing (and even more so the AF point spread) was blown out of all proportion on these forums. Overall, they updated the line in ways most people wanted, and it's a pretty compelling entry-level FF DSLR whatever people say.

*I thought the RRP was said to be less than the 6D's, but Wikipedia suggests otherwise.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
chrysoberyl said:
I readily admit that my grasp of optical physics is limited. I read this forum to alleviate that. Thank you for your informative although sometimes sarcastic posts.

The greater the focal length of a lens, the more it magnifies. Keeping object distance the same, a telephoto lens renders it larger than a wideangle lens. This much should be obvious. But it also directly follows that if you want to render an object the same size with a wideangle as with a telephoto, you need to decrease the object distance. To get a 1:1 magnification with a 35mm lens then obviously requires a shorter focusing distance than with, say, a 100mm lens.

Upvote 0
I voted for the 77. I wanted to vote for the 6D mark 2, but the camera left a bit of a bitter taste in my mouth. It just missed too many checkmarks to make it the best camera in my taste at that price point.. Worst is the silly center spread of the autofocus points. If it had been the same spread as my 80D I would have been happy. A sensor senisitivity worse than the model it replaces is unacceptable.. it should at least be the same. And again the lack of a second memory slot while the competition all offer that, is also a bit underwhelming.. These things are needed to me to get topspot at the price point where it is located.
I was saving up for the 6D mark 2 but I think i spend it somewhere else now

Upvote 0