Just a reminder: Canon Rumors has launched a Discord server

Oct 3, 2015
Until this post, I had never heard of a Discord server/application before in my life.

And I do IT work (system admin, etc) for my day job....

I played with IRC a lot back in the day....I remember bots on those....but never a voice type thing.

I've not really "gamed" much since the Doom II and Descent days....geez, I"m guessing old I guess.
:O

C
Depending what area of IT you're in you may know more of what is under the hood an a lot of the tech industry not just game orientated places use it. I don't game much these days either, exception being occasional sim stuff with mostly DCSworld with few friends when we all have free time at same point (not often). I came to it via a none gaming route a while back trying to find alternatives to skype that worked well between friends and family mixed windows and *nix users that used Opus codec but didn't require everyone in the pool to be capable of proper manually configuring things as some users struggled with that part when found ideal [for me] candidates. Despite it starting as another mumble/teamspeak style low latency voip client aimed at gamers initially it is quite different now and many IT related companies use it for none voip related stuff in place of news syndication solutions (not that anyone uses RSS and likes now), traditional forums, social media platforms and so on as an all in solution.

The discord bots are much more like plugins than irc chat bots and some features don't translate so well as to what makes it different without looking into it more. For instance a friend uses it primarily for voip phone to comp and a chat/IM tool on his phone but has a bot managing some aspects of his servers when he is out and away from his work comp for instance. So maybe worth a look in for you. One thing I'll warn you of since seem same age as me is you'll despise the UI (it is UX schoold of design led really if splitting hairs) as it is god awful and one of few parts I detest.

Upvote 0

David Norris

CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Some of the people from the Canon Rumors discord wanted to keep the vibe going, so a new one has been created:

This is in no way affiliated with CanonRumors. It’s essentially just a group of former members who enjoyed communicating through that medium, who would like to continue communicating through that medium.

I’ve spoken to a few people, and we all are very sympathetic to the current situation, and reason for disbanding the CR server, and we support CanonRumors through this difficult time.

If anyone wants to join, feel free to with the link above.
For the old CR discord members, reach out through other socials to connect with the awesome CRGuy and show some support.
For everything he’s done, he deserves some great positive feedback, especially now.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SHAMwow

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 7, 2020
Some of the people from the Canon Rumors discord wanted to keep the vibe going, so a new one has been created:

This is in no way affiliated with CanonRumors. It’s essentially just a group of former members who enjoyed communicating through that medium, who would like to continue communicating through that medium.

I’ve spoken to a few people, and we all are very sympathetic to the current situation, and reason for disbanding the CR server, and we support CanonRumors through this difficult time.

For the old CR discord members, reach out through other socials to connect with the awesome CRGuy and show some support.
For everything he’s done, he deserves some great positive feedback, especially now.
I'm looking to join the new server David. I'll hop on it soon. And I'm just confused. I don't want to pry, but did something horrible happen on the server that I missed? I feel bad, but I don't check the server every day so I'm just confused on what happened with its disbanding. Obviously either way I'm here to support CR, I'm just really confused.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
I'm looking to join the new server David. I'll hop on it soon. And I'm just confused. I don't want to pry, but did something horrible happen on the server that I missed? I feel bad, but I don't check the server every day so I'm just confused on what happened with its disbanding. Obviously either way I'm here to support CR, I'm just really confused.

I pulled the plug on the server as I was paying $150/mth for it and I found it frustrating a lot of the time. Too many mixed personalities. The final nail in the coffin was being told I was wrong about something in a space I've been involved with directly for 13 years. This was also around the same time as the Kickstarter thing and the hate on social media and in my inbox.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I pulled the plug on the server as I was paying $150/mth for it and I found it frustrating a lot of the time. Too many mixed personalities. The final nail in the coffin was being told I was wrong about something in a space I've been involved with directly for 13 years. This was also around the same time as the Kickstarter thing and the hate on social media and in my inbox.
As a user of just forum and no other social media of yours: Did you ever put out a statement about what you wish the community to be and what sort of posts you what to encourage or discourage?

Obviously the d-word for one got on your nerves, but I for example was not aware of that before you pulled your stunt. Were the Discord users aware of the ways in which their participation caused damage?

I get the impression you could benefit from being a bit more open with us, so that we in turn can be a bit more respectful towards your priorities for this site. I like this place, so obviously its creator being content with it would be a positive. But without some more guidance, it is hard to interpret certain actions from the administrative forces around here.

Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
As a user of just forum and no other social media of yours: Did you ever put out a statement about what you wish the community to be and what sort of posts you what to encourage or discourage?

Obviously the d-word for one got on your nerves, but I for example was not aware of that before you pulled your stunt. Were the Discord users aware of the ways in which their participation caused damage?

I get the impression you could benefit from being a bit more open with us, so that we in turn can be a bit more respectful towards your priorities for this site. I like this place, so obviously its creator being content with it would be a positive. But without some more guidance, it is hard to interpret certain actions from the administrative forces around here.

This isn't a therapy session.

At a certain point, people need to use some common sense on how to handle themselves. That's not my job.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
This isn't a therapy session.

At a certain point, people need to use some common sense on how to handle themselves. That's not my job.
Sure thing. I'm just geniunely invested in this site's well being and curious how to maintain it.

It's just that with all the participants not only being part of this community, but also others (both online and offline), everybody brings different standards of what's funny, interesting, boring or concerning to the table. Without expressing any of them explicitly, it is up to everybody to figure out the preferences of individual members by simply interacting with them and noting their reaction.

With you and the mods however, there is only a limited amount of interaction and so there's a lot more unecessary guesswork involved in this. In my personal experience, additional communication is always preferable to just sticking with one's own assumptions about other people and their intentions.

It was just a suggetion from me, for what seems to me the benefit of us all (you included) based on what I see on this forum.

Upvote 0

It looks like the discord link had expired ... not working. Kindly assist. Thamnks

Upvote 0