Lots of Talk, Very Little Solid Information About Canon's Next Cameras

Jul 28, 2015
transpo1 said:
Mikehit said:
transpo1 said:
Good news for Canon lovers that there are some potentially unpredictable releases out there, especially with regard to MILC cameras.

Canon is now actually starting to disrupt their own product line and shake things up a bit, as recent executives have discussed.

So a company no longer produces new products, they 'disrupt' their own product lines? It seems that being 'disruptive' has become a mark of success....

People may point to Canon and draw analogies with Kodak and Nokia (who actually remained very successful, just not in their original high profile products) but in business, the disruptor is often the first one to go out of business when they realise they cannot maintain their advantage, become ossified in being disruptive for the sake of it and don't know how to develop what they have got.

A company produces new products that disrupt their own product lines before competitors do. This has been talked about in tech / business circles for years. An old school example is that Apple’s iPod mini was selling well under Steve Jobs. But that didn’t stop them with coming out with a new product, the iPod Nano, which was a much smaller version with newer tech. It killed iPod mini sales eventually but became a much more successful product in the long run. Apple came out with a smaller, more advanced version of the iPod before someone else did, hence disrupting themselves.

Instead of using meaningless bullshit words like 'disrupt' why nut use real English and talk about 'product development'? Using words like 'disrupting' is not because it has a genuine use but is done to make themselves sound hip to the younger generation, making them sound like they are breaking away from the old fuddy-duddies who run real companies. Apple was able to carry this myth for years, had people talking about how they were breaking the MS hegemony when in fact they were creating systems that forced you to work they way they wanted you to work, while salting away billions of dollars in overseas tax havens.

I remember one management guru who wrote that when a company talks about 'setting a new paradigm' then run the other way because chances are they do not know what they are doing. Words like 'disruptive' is in the same vein.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2011
Mikehit said:
transpo1 said:
Mikehit said:
transpo1 said:
Good news for Canon lovers that there are some potentially unpredictable releases out there, especially with regard to MILC cameras.

Canon is now actually starting to disrupt their own product line and shake things up a bit, as recent executives have discussed.

So a company no longer produces new products, they 'disrupt' their own product lines? It seems that being 'disruptive' has become a mark of success....

People may point to Canon and draw analogies with Kodak and Nokia (who actually remained very successful, just not in their original high profile products) but in business, the disruptor is often the first one to go out of business when they realise they cannot maintain their advantage, become ossified in being disruptive for the sake of it and don't know how to develop what they have got.

A company produces new products that disrupt their own product lines before competitors do. This has been talked about in tech / business circles for years. An old school example is that Apple’s iPod mini was selling well under Steve Jobs. But that didn’t stop them with coming out with a new product, the iPod Nano, which was a much smaller version with newer tech. It killed iPod mini sales eventually but became a much more successful product in the long run. Apple came out with a smaller, more advanced version of the iPod before someone else did, hence disrupting themselves.

Instead of using meaningless bullshit words like 'disrupt' why nut use real English and talk about 'product development'? Using words like 'disrupting' is not because it has a genuine use but is done to make themselves sound hip to the younger generation, making them sound like they are breaking away from the old fuddy-duddies who run real companies. Apple was able to carry this myth for years, had people talking about how they were breaking the MS hegemony when in fact they were creating systems that forced you to work they way they wanted you to work, while salting away billions of dollars in overseas tax havens.

I remember one management guru who wrote that when a company talks about 'setting a new paradigm' then run the other way because chances are they do not know what they are doing. Words like 'disruptive' is in the same vein.

Yes, I’m sure the entire tech and business industries are wrong and you’re right. Of course.

It wasn’t a myth with Apple, by the way- they really did it over and over again. Which is why they have a 100 billion in the bank.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
transpo1 said:
Yes, I’m sure the entire tech and business industries are wrong and you’re right. Of course.

It wasn’t a myth with Apple, by the way- they really did it over and over again. Which is why they have a 100 billion in the bank.

Apple found exploitable markets with innovative at the time features, and also created this little thing called the iTunes.
iTunes gives Apple a remarkable amount of money.
how you can think that this is similar to the camera industry is anyone's guess.

Canon adding more mirrorless isn't much of a disruption or even change in their mode of operation over the past 4+ years.

They have continually added and augmented their lines and increased the depth of their mirrorless lineup to date, pretty consistently.

It only stands to reason that they continue to do so.

Upvote 0
Feb 8, 2013
kalieaire said:
I'm pretty sure with a decade of disappointments in the DSLR industry, they've forgotten how to disrupt.

The 5D3 was still disruptive, Canon was the first to put their best AF chip in a second camera line.

Then the 7D2 did effectively the same for crop shooting and it took Nikon another two years to make a competing product (actually it should really be stated as "Nikon took 7 years to come up with anything to compete with the original 7D").
Oh, and the A6500 is still just an overpriced amateur body because it only has one memory card slot. Fuji is actually doing more to appeal to professional crop shooters.
The Sony A7III may seem to be Sony's answer to everything, but it's still overpriced for the category, and its full frame sensor doesn't do anyone any good if you're just going to be cropping everything (most cases of sports or action). So anyone getting an A7III for those applications is just paying 50% more for worse image quality (and worse lens selection, and bad weather sealing, and the firmware will probably crash a few times).
Also Canon's DPAF is doing very well, if not dominating the Vlogging market. Nothing competes with the out of the box performance of DPAF.

What really upsets me is that Nikon REMOVED the second card slot from their 7000 series. Good job driving customers away Nikon.

As others have said, Canon has done so much disruption in the last decade that the competition just hasn't caught up yet.

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
I am heavily invested in Canon lenses, their DSLRs and their cinema line. I’ve stayed tried and true for years. It’s been hard these past 3 years watching Sony eclipse them with every release. I envy the sharpness, the latitude, the stabilization, the light sensitivity and the lighter form factors of the Sony’s. But I’ve stayed with Canon, patiently waiting for them to catch up, partly because I dig their colors and menus over Sony, but mostly because I don’t want to deal with offloading all this gear. Well, this year is a make it or break it year for me. I won’t wait for Canon any longer. I’ll be selling everything come November and switching to Sony if they don’t step up their game. They need some winners in the mirrorless line. They need a better middle ground camera in their cinema line that can shoot slow motion. Honestly, they need winners on all fronts. They need to be inventive and setting the pace, not following in the wake of their competitors. Time is up. Canon is in third place. Albough their market share or sales may state otherwise, it is my opinion that they are just riding on people like me that are heavily invested in their ecosystem and don’t want to switch. Well that patience doesn’t last forever. Get your ass in gear Canon! Your elderly executives are stuck in their ways and their decisions are slowly choking the company. Innovate and set the trend or go sit in the corner with Kodak, Nokia and Sears.

Upvote 0
Can we ban the use of disruptive, disruption and disrupt on this board from now on. The terms are cliché, overused and misused. They have no real meaning any more.

Sony is not disrupting anything, mirrorless is not disrupting anything, and Canon is not disrupting anything. Any augment that there is a disruption in the camera industry is wrong. The last disruption was when some one put a camera on a cellphone. Just because Technology changes or evolves does not make it a disruption.

now I have used a term I hate 10 times. :mad:

Upvote 0
Oct 26, 2013
robotfist said:
I am heavily invested in Canon lenses, their DSLRs and their cinema line. I’ve stayed tried and true for years. It’s been hard these past 3 years watching Sony eclipse them with every release. I envy the sharpness, the latitude, the stabilization, the light sensitivity and the lighter form factors of the Sony’s. But I’ve stayed with Canon, patiently waiting for them to catch up, partly because I dig their colors and menus over Sony, but mostly because I don’t want to deal with offloading all this gear. Well, this year is a make it or break it year for me. I won’t wait for Canon any longer. I’ll be selling everything come November and switching to Sony if they don’t step up their game. They need some winners in the mirrorless line. They need a better middle ground camera in their cinema line that can shoot slow motion. Honestly, they need winners on all fronts. They need to be inventive and setting the pace, not following in the wake of their competitors. Time is up. Canon is in third place. Albough their market share or sales may state otherwise, it is my opinion that they are just riding on people like me that are heavily invested in their ecosystem and don’t want to switch. Well that patience doesn’t last forever. Get your ass in gear Canon! Your elderly executives are stuck in their ways and their decisions are slowly choking the company. Innovate and set the trend or go sit in the corner with Kodak, Nokia and Sears.

You do understand that this site has no affiliation with Canon. If you want to actually contact Canon with your message, this is not the place. If you just want to whine and complain...then this, alas, is the place.

Just curious if you have actually tried the Sonys that you believe are so much better. If you have tried them, well, then I understand your situation. If you are commenting based on spec sheets, then I suggest you rent a Sony and see if how it goes. Many of us have tried the Sonys and find them wanting. I wouldn't trade a Canon for a Sony at this point, but who knows what the future holds.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
kalieaire said:
I'm pretty sure with a decade of disappointments in the DSLR industry, they've forgotten how to disrupt.

Or, with a decade and a half of market dominance in the DSLR industry, they’ve seen no need to disrupt. Not necessarily a good thing for us as consumers, but that’s life.

Yeah, but to that I remember when Minolta was late to the DSLR game when they came out w/ the Maxxum. Previously they were top dog with the first production 35mm AF system w/ the Maxxum 7000 in 1985. They got complacent and they lost market dominance to both Canon and Nikon.

Canon edged out Nikon in the professional market. And now Sony is beginning to edge Canon out.

If Sony decides to throw their enterprise backing into professional support services, they could take the pole position.

Canon still has their printer and Fab businesses to fall back on, but Nikon might run the risk of being actually put out of business.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
kalieaire said:
neuroanatomist said:
kalieaire said:

Or, with a decade and a half of market dominance in the DSLR industry, they’ve seen no need to disrupt. Not necessarily a good thing for us as consumers, but that’s life.

Yeah, but to that I remember when Minolta was late to the DSLR game when they came out w/ the Maxxum. Previously they were top dog with the first production 35mm AF system w/ the Maxxum 7000 in 1985. They got complacent and they lost market dominance to both Canon and Nikon.

there's hyperbole and then there is reality.

Minolta was found guilty of infringing on a honeywell patent and was ordered to pay 127 million in damages they never really recovered from that.

by that time canon was firmly out with the EF lineup and more importantly USM which effectively killed everyone not named Canon as far as the market.

USM was such a vast superior technology to motors in lenses (or camera bodies as was the case with Nikon) and spelled the end to Minolta making a recovery.

Complacency had zero to do with it, but talk some more.. it's highly amusing.

Upvote 0
rrcphoto said:
kalieaire said:
neuroanatomist said:
kalieaire said:

Minolta was found guilty of infringing on a honeywell patent and was ordered to pay 127 million in damages they never really recovered from that.

by that time canon was firmly out with the EF lineup and more importantly USM which effectively killed everyone not named Canon as far as the market.

USM was such a vast superior technology to motors in lenses (or camera bodies as was the case with Nikon) and spelled the end to Minolta making a recovery.

Minolta recovered, they just appear restructured and have a different brand badge.....

Sony entered the market for digital single-lens reflex cameras in 2006 when it acquired the camera business of Konica Minolta. Sony rebranded the company's line of cameras as its Alpha line.

Upvote 0
Jun 20, 2013
Durf said:
rrcphoto said:
kalieaire said:
neuroanatomist said:
kalieaire said:

Minolta recovered, they just appear restructured and have a different brand badge.....

Sony entered the market for digital single-lens reflex cameras in 2006 when it acquired the camera business of Konica Minolta. Sony rebranded the company's line of cameras as its Alpha line.

Sony holds a 19% by value marketshare which makes their by unit marketshare lower than that.

They haven't recovered into being anything other than 3rd ranked where they were in the 90's after they fell off the bandwagon.

Upvote 0
Threads like this make me consider leaving this forum. Next to no information, and ANOTHER barrage of meaningless, pointless, exaggerated complaining, 'I know ten guys who've swapped to Sony', 'I won't but another Canon unless they include XY and Z', and very wrong comparisons with Kodak and Nokia (though Sears is a new one - I thought Blackberry was the third of the 'failure trinity'). I guess Mr CR wants clicks though, and clicks from trolls are worth as much as anyone's ::)

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2015
robotfist said:
Why does everyone include Nokia as if they are a defunct (or failing)company? :eek: they had 22 BILLION Euros in revenue last year.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
kkamena said:
Can we ban the use of disruptive, disruption and disrupt on this board from now on. The terms are cliché, overused and misused. They have no real meaning any more.

Sony is not disrupting anything, mirrorless is not disrupting anything, and Canon is not disrupting anything. Any augment that there is a disruption in the camera industry is wrong. The last disruption was when some one put a camera on a cellphone. Just because Technology changes or evolves does not make it a disruption.

now I have used a term I hate 10 times. :mad:

But that would disrupt all the idiots who want to sound like they know what they are talking about and we would not want to disrupt the Canon Rumors Forum.

Upvote 0