Love or Hate Canon Rumors Forum

As an old guy in the process of semi-retiring, I decided several years ago to learn photography as a hobby to occupy all my extra spare time. Started by reading photo mags and books and even watched Peter Lik on TV. Then started reading a bunch of online photography websites. Eventually found CR forum. Now I am addicted to CR. I hardly ever look at any other websites or read books anymore. I have learned a lot here about equipment and technique. Also, I get to look at so many talented people's posted photos for ideas and inspiration. The good here greatly outweighs the bad (which I try to just ignore). :)

PS-Gary, I hope you were just joking about leaving...I really love seeing your photos 8)

Upvote 0
I have to agree with you. Myself as a self taught picture taker has learened a lot from here. There was one point that you listed in the negative column that has bugged me for a while:

2) A handful of obsessive individuals who hijack nearly every thread and repeat the same points over and over again, arguing over obscure issues that have nothing to do with the original subject.

Dylyan777, if you read this, I get it, you have an awesome setup but quit hijacking every thread to say that people should have what you have. Your setup is what I want but we are not all prepared to drop $10k+ for family pictures like you (you admitted this on a thread once). Some of us just have fun and this is a hobby, without the need to drop $2k+ on every piece in our stable.

I like it here and have learned a lot. I just avoid all of the new camera threads for a few months, I'll wait until people calm down about not getting at 1DX for the price/body of a 6D.

Upvote 0

K3nt

"No good photo goes unnoticed!"
Feb 3, 2011
Finland
www.flickr.com
I love it here. Found some great contacts. The ones that tend to be 'not-so-nice' I just ignore.
The advice and technical bits are awesome. The Nikon vs. Canon debate could go, it's the same as the age old Mac vs. PC... to each their own.
I'm going to be sticking around for some time to come. :)

Upvote 0
H

Hobby Shooter

boateggs said:
I have to agree with you. Myself as a self taught picture taker has learened a lot from here. There was one point that you listed in the negative column that has bugged me for a while:

2) A handful of obsessive individuals who hijack nearly every thread and repeat the same points over and over again, arguing over obscure issues that have nothing to do with the original subject.

Dylyan777, if you read this, I get it, you have an awesome setup but quit hijacking every thread to say that people should have what you have. Your setup is what I want but we are not all prepared to drop $10k+ for family pictures like you (you admitted this on a thread once). Some of us just have fun and this is a hobby, without the need to drop $2k+ on every piece in our stable.

I like it here and have learned a lot. I just avoid all of the new camera threads for a few months, I'll wait until people calm down about not getting at 1DX for the price/body of a 6D.
Wow, I've always had Dylan777 on the 'good guy list', do I have to change that now?

Upvote 0
Jan 13, 2013
Hobby Shooter said:
boateggs said:

Wow, I've always had Dylan777 on the 'good guy list', do I have to change that now?

LOL ... I wouldn't think so ... he hasn't done anything of the sort in this thread ;D

Upvote 0

infared

Kodak Brownie!
Jul 19, 2011
I like this site a lot. (Not a big fan of the user interface, tho)...
The cool thing is, as with most forums...you can take what you need and leave the rest.
I have been enjoying Justin's equipment reviews lately...they are a nice new asset coupled with his competent photography...and his ability to be real and offer up that he does not "know or get it all" with some equipment...just like all of us. I think this site gets better..not worse.
Sometimes the discussions get a bit tedious...but I can jump out at any time...no biggie.
Photography attracts a lot of "experts"...many time they make me grin! :)......

Upvote 0
I have to see that I really love this site and find a lot of interesting information. I really just started photography last year. 30 years ago I was stationed in England and bought a Canon AV-1. My photography lessons were "If it is bright and sunny use appeture 8, if cloudy use a 6, and inside use a 4." I did not have good access to information. Since then I just stuck with point and shoots.

Last year I bought a T3i. I have been able to improve greatly thanks to all of the information on the internet as well as shops that have classes available. My pbase account is WWW.pbase.com/collink if you want to see what someone can learn in less than a year by listening to the experts.

I agree that I sometimes see a new thread on something that has been well covered - and seen a few people complain about that fact that they posted it. I understand that if someone is new then they haven't seen it before. Of course, I use the search button and check for what has been posted to see if I someone else has already asked my question. So far, I have found it.

I have been greatly impressed with the information that has been posted on this forum. I recognize that the users vary from beginners to career professionals. I really appreciate the level of help that I can from experienced people.

I want to say thank you to all of the people on this forum that take the time and share their expertise so that newbies can learn and appreciate their hobby. I also find that the more I learn the more I realize how much more there is to getting great pictures.

My .02

Casey

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
boateggs said:

If I remember correctly, I only gave my comments/advices to posters were looking for advices on lenses and bodies they about to purchase. My advices are based on HAND-ON products, not reading through online reviews.

1. Is that considered as "hijacking"?
2. When did I said "people should have what you have" ?

Keep in mind, I don't spend $10K-ish in one purchase. I slowly upgraded my gear one by one. Yes...photography is just my hobby, mainly family photos. My kids only grow up one. Why not keeping those memories with good tool when you can afford it ;)

Upvote 0
unfocused: You assessments are spot-on. Adding to what's already been stated:

Dislikes:

1) People insisting that what they want and need in a camera is what everyone wants and needs in a camera. These people think they speak on behalf of the entire photographic community. What an honor that must be :)

1) This forum, in general, is comprised of thoughtful, well-written posts. My theory is that it has to do with it's large international base of users. Forums comprised of primarily Americans are littered with poorly written posts from barely literate hillbillies. While that may be a harsh assessment of my people, our atrocious performance on global standardized tests in reading and writing seem to confirm my suspicions ;D

2) I very much enjoy looking through images posted by some exceptionally gifted photographers on this site. I originally came here looking for rumors on the 5D3. Thanks to what I learned, I was able to make a well-informed purchasing decision, learn when it would be available for pre-sale, and get in on the first batch. It took a solid 6-9 months for the bulk of the DR whining to subside, at which point I came back for reasons 1 and 2.

Upvote 0

BumpyMunky

I wonder what this button does...
Nov 14, 2011
Canada
Mt Spokane Photography said:
It would be nice to have a ignore user "XX" function, but we don't have it.
Not sure if this what you're looking for, but I've done this on occasion:
Go to your profile: http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;area=account
Hover over "Modify Profile", click on "Buddies/Ignore List", click "Edit Ignore List". Add the username of the person you wish to ignore.
Also, you'll need to have the "Modify Profile -> Look and Layout" checkbox for Hide messages posted by members on my ignore list checked.

When you read a thread that has posts from those users, a placeholder link shows instead of each post, so you can still see the content if you really want to.

rifz said:
Is there a way to start at the beginning of a thread, instead of the end? thanks
From a specific message, I don't think so, but on the bottom left of every page, you can click the Page 1 link. Also, at the top, in the "path" (eg: canon rumors FORUM » Canon Rumors General » Site Information ), if you click on the subject, that'll go to page one as well.

From the list of topics, clicking the subject itself displays the topic from the beginning. What I usually do is click the "NEW" button, and if I haven't read any messages from that thread I get the beginning, and if I have read some, it goes to where I last read that thread.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0