M6 II still takes good pictures

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Just because it may be on the discontinued list is no reason to snub your M6 II. The attached photo was taken on a very dark evening through a car window at 55 mph with the 18-150 kit lens. Some color correction was needed due to the tinted window, but the result shows the M6 II is very capable even in difficult conditions. EDIT 12/18/23. Just added a rendition using Enhance in LR (top image below). I like it better than the first version (2nd image below) done in PL6.IMG_0836-Enhanced-NR-Edit.jpg

IMG_0836_DxO-Edit-Edit.jpg

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 10 users

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
It has the same sensor as the R7 and there is no reason why it shouldn’t take as good images as the latest top of the range APS-C. Just discovered my Prius is out of production. Fortunately there’s 6 years left on the warranty.
Not sure it is exactly the same sensor, but if so, the R7 processor is able to do a lot more with it, particularly with respect to video and the IBIS is a big deal, but the M6II still does take excellent stills and sometimes size matters. I find the R7 to be far more capbale with long lenses, but for stills with the nearly identical kit lens, there isn't that much difference. Also, I have all the M lenses and the the M6 II with all the lenses fits in a very small package so it is still my travel pack of choice. I have a very good copy of the newFD 500mm mirror that fits in the pack without adding much weigh if I need reach.

The Prius is an interesting vehicle in that it was designed by engineers as a way to make an Atkinson Cycle engine accepatble to drivers. The result was so successful that the Marketing department turned it into the "green" vehicle of choice for over a decade. Today, most ICE cars have variable valve timing that allows them to revert to the Atkinson cycle for cruise and use the Otto cycle for acceleration with the result that the Prius does not have as big an advantage as it used to. The hybrid feature is still beneficial in stop-and-go urban situations thanks to dynamic braking, but less significant (maybe even detrimental when you add in the battery weight penalty) in long distance driving. Sadly, the pressure is on to move all vehicles to pure electic, which is insane when no country (other than possibly China) has even a shadow of a plan to generate enough electicity to feed an all EV fleet.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Not sure it is exactly the same sensor, but if so, the R7 processor is able to do a lot more with it, particularly with respect to video and the IBIS is a big deal, but the M6II still does take excellent stills and someitmes size matters. I find the R7 to be far more capbale with long lenses, but for stills with the nearly identical kit lens, there isn't that much differenc. Also, I have all the M lenses and the the M6 II with all the lenses fits in a very small package so it is still my travel pack of choice. I have a very good copy of the newFD 500mm mirror that fits in the pack without adding much weigh if I need reach.

The Prius is an interesting vehicle in that it was designed by engineers as a way to make an Atkinson Cycle engine accepatble to drivers. The result was so successful that the Marketing department turned it into the "green" vehicle of choice for over a decade. Today, most ICE cars have variable valve timing that allows them to revert to the Atkinson cycle for cruise and use the Otto cycle for acceleration with the result that the Prius does not have as big an advantage as it used to. The hybrid feature is still beneficial in stop-and-go urban situations thanks to dynamic braking, but less significant (maybe even detrimental when you add in the battery weight penalty) in long distance driving. Sadly, the pressure is on to move all vehicles to pure electic, which is insane when no country (other than possibly China) has even a shadow of a plan to generate enough electicity to feed an all EV fleet.
I find the Prius has remarkable mpg cruising at 70 mph, maybe due to a very low drag factor. I average pretty close to 60 to the imperial gallon despite using the car mainly for long distance birding excursions but cycling in town, despite my age.

The newer software like DxO PL5 work very well suppressing noise on the 32 Mpx sensor while retaining detail.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I find the Prius has remarkable mpg cruising at 70 mph, maybe due to a very low drag factor. I average pretty close to 60 to the imperial gallon despite using the car mainly for long distance birding excursions but cycling in town, despite my age.

The newer software like DxO PL5 work very well suppressing noise on the 32 Mpx sensor while retaining detail.
PL6 is even better. And, yes, the Prius has very good aerodynamics.

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Just because it may be on the discontinued list is no reason to snub your M6 II. The attached photo was taken on a very dark evening through a car window at 55 mph with the 18-150 kit lens. Some color corrrection was needed due to the tinted window, but the result shows the M6 II is very capable even in difficult conditions.
Really nice photo! And I know how difficult it is to take pictures out of a moving car. I hope, you weren't the driver ;)
Colour, contrast and texture reminds me of some oil painting from the romanticism. (y)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
Really nice photo! And I know how difficult it is to take pictures out of a moving car. I hope, you weren't the driver ;)
Colour, contrast and texture reminds me of some oil painting from the romanticism. (y)
Thanks, No, I wasn't driving. I had been taking some shots of the sunset outside the car (standing in a stiff wind) and then we drove off. About a half mile down the road, the scene changed (for the better) but there was no place to turn off so I took the shot through the window. The upside was that I had already set the camera to shutter priority and 1/320 due the wind I had been standing in. The lens was at the short end, so it gave me f/3.5 and ISO 200, which made the image very processable, particuarly with the help of DXO PL6. The relatively short shutter and wide angle nulified the car motion qutite well. In the end, it was a lucky shot as I would not have had time to set the mode of camera if hadn't been preset earlier. The picture is particularly intense viewed on an HDR monitor.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I adore the M system
As for canon discontinuing to try and force us onto the R…..
Well they failed spectacularly. Not a chance in hell. If I have to change then I’ll change to another brand.
I think there is a bit more nuance to Canon's decision than simply trying to force everbody into the RF mount. The M system was developed by the Powershot group and since there is now very little market for P&S cameras, it appears that that group is for the most part disbanded. There was tremendous user pressure on Canon to update the 7DII in an R body, which necessitated supporting APS-c in the RF line. The R7 is the response to that demand (and a good response). Further, to be competitive, higher end APS-c bodies (like the R7) needed to support IBIS. The small battery that was key to keeping the M cameras small was not up to the task of running Canon's IBIS system with reasonable battery life. So now we have the R7 and R10 (and soon the R50). It is worth note that the R10 is a couple of ounces lighter than the Sony a6600 (but without IBIS and still with the small battery). In the current shrunken camera market, it simply doesn't make economic sense to support two disparate AP-c lines, so it is almost certain that the M series will fade away as did the Nikon 1 and several other early attempts in the mirrorless transistion. Given that the M series has been a top seller, particularly in Japan, I have to believe that Canon's decision to move to R was not an easy one internally. You may be disappointed with the fading way of the M line (as am I), but it is useful to apply some perspective before reacting.

Upvote 0
Jan 21, 2022
@Dragon
That’s all very interesting, but as a amateur, hobbyist and consumer I really don’t care what canon reasons were. Unlike so many wannabe lookatme guys who just want to be seen with the latest greatest R - and then more often than not use said state of the art camera to take a snap of their pet!! Dear God!!
I just preferred the small form of the M system. With regards to the battery being the reason as you say, funny how Fuji and Olympus were able to overcome these obstacles…..years before the R was even out.

I have all the M lenses (some duplicated) and all but 2 of various M body’s that were released. Fully intend to grab the missing 2 this year - if not this month.
Then I’ll have no reason to look for canon new releases (except maybe firmware)
I spent a lot of money initially buying into the M system, only for canon to pull the plug and try to force me over to the R line.

No, I have my M’s and still have my massive DSLR and EF/EF-s system. Believe me there’s no reason why I need to go R.

Just disappointed that as you say despite being their best seller, they dumped the system. Likewise

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

Fujifilm X-H2S (M50 Veteran)
CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
@Dragon
That’s all very interesting, but as a amateur, hobbyist and consumer I really don’t care what canon reasons were. Unlike so many wannabe lookatme guys who just want to be seen with the latest greatest R - and then more often than not use said state of the art camera to take a snap of their pet!! Dear God!!
I just preferred the small form of the M system. With regards to the battery being the reason as you say, funny how Fuji and Olympus were able to overcome these obstacles…..years before the R was even out.

I have all the M lenses (some duplicated) and all but 2 of various M body’s that were released. Fully intend to grab the missing 2 this year - if not this month.
Then I’ll have no reason to look for canon new releases (except maybe firmware)
I spent a lot of money initially buying into the M system, only for canon to pull the plug and try to force me over to the R line.

No, I have my M’s and still have my massive DSLR and EF/EF-s system. Believe me there’s no reason why I need to go R.

Just disappointed that as you say despite being their best seller, they dumped the system. Likewise
This is how I feel about it. I express my irritation with Canon's decisions on the M mount and people reply with...Canon's business case. Which, cool, I mean I could figure that out for myself and didn't ask for it, but whatever. Companies do not make product line decisions based on what they believe is best for me, the customer, they make them based on what they believe is best for their bottom line. By the same token I do not make my buying decisions based on what is best for the companies involved, I make them based on what the best options are for me.

For me it meant switching brands. For others it means standing with what they have or filling out the system. For some it will mean giving up on ILC's and just using their phone, further contracting the market (the M line was easily the best sub-$1k option on the market IMO). Regardless, the business case is just not relevant to anyone but the shareholders, which I am not nor do I wish to be one of.

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
This is how I feel about it. I express my irritation with Canon's decisions on the M mount and people reply with...Canon's business case. Which, cool, I mean I could figure that out for myself and didn't ask for it, but whatever. Companies do not make product line decisions based on what they believe is best for me, the customer, they make them based on what they believe is best for their bottom line. By the same token I do not make my buying decisions based on what is best for the companies involved, I make them based on what the best options are for me.

For me it meant switching brands. For others it means standing with what they have or filling out the system. For some it will mean giving up on ILC's and just using their phone, further contracting the market (the M line was easily the best sub-$1k option on the market IMO). Regardless, the business case is just not relevant to anyone but the shareholders, which I am not nor do I wish to be one of.
All well and good. You are fully entitled to your decisions, but your decision to continue haunting a Canon site is a bit puzzling unless you we now have Fuji Trolls to supplement the Sony Trolls :) .

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
All well and good. You are fully entitled to your decisions, but your decision to continue haunting a Canon site is a bit puzzling unless you we now have Fuji Trolls to supplement the Sony Trolls :) .
I paid for Gold, there are people here I like, and I still have a fondness for the M mount, which you'll notice is where I typically haunt. In fact I like the M mount so much I recently bought my original M50 back from the person I sold it to after they moved to Fuji as well.

I'll pretty much glue the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 to it and call it a day with that camera, easily my favorite lens on the system.

But yeah, Canon the brand is pretty much dead to me going forward unless they make some pretty big changes. I'm under no illusion that they give a damn about me, and thus my point about why should I or any of us really care about their business case to try and extract the most cash out of our pockets?

Upvote 0

Dragon

May 29, 2019
Oregon
I paid for Gold, there are people here I like, and I still have a fondness for the M mount, which you'll notice is where I typically haunt. In fact I like the M mount so much I recently bought my original M50 back from the person I sold it to after they moved to Fuji as well.

I'll pretty much glue the EF-M 32mm f/1.4 to it and call it a day with that camera, easily my favorite lens on the system.

But yeah, Canon the brand is pretty much dead to me going forward unless they make some pretty big changes. I'm under no illusion that they give a damn about me, and thus my point about why should I or any of us really care about their business case to try and extract the most cash out of our pockets?
Actually, in the end, their business case is our business case in that if they don't survive, we have no support. Businesses have to make business decisions and some of them are inevitably not (at least short term) favorable to some customers. I also have An M3, and M6 II and all the M lenses. I gave my M5 to a granddaughter who is enjoying it immensely. Your focus on business being selfish and looking only at profit suggests you have never run a business and had to make hard desisions regarding same. I have, and can fully understand the no doubt painful process Canon went through making this decision. To say that Canon, the camera company with by far the best customer service in the industry, doesn't care about their customers is, at best, naive. Things-a-change and both businesses and individuals have to adapt or die.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
Actually, in the end, their business case is our business case in that if they don't survive, we have no support. Businesses have to make business decisions and some of them are inevitably not (at least short term) favorable to some customers. I also have An M3, and M6 II and all the M lenses. I gave my M5 to a granddaughter who is enjoying it immensely. Your focus on business being selfish and looking only at profit suggests you have never run a business and had to make hard desisions regarding same. I have, and can fully understand the no doubt painful process Canon went through making this decision. To say that Canon, the camera company with by far the best customer service in the industry, doesn't care about their customers is, at best, naive. Things-a-change and both businesses and individuals have to adapt or die.
Canon fully owns half the market. The entire photography market would have to die for Canon to be gone. Basing any argument on that is ridiculous when you are talking about the company nearly twice the size of it's nearest competitor. Furthermore Canon is well diversified, cameras are a minor part of their overall portfolio. They aren't going anywhere anytime soon, even if the whole market declined to just 1 million units, they would still sell nearly as many cameras as Fujifilm does every year based on market share. That concern only makes sense for small players like Panasonic or OM Systems.

I also have fully owned a company I founded, and worked for both Microsoft and Amazon, and what I can tell you now is that they do not care about you at all, and their greed is so far beyond you and I's as to be literally unimaginable to regular people. You are a cow they will and do milk. That's not an opinion, I've sat in on the business meetings hundreds of times in my 23 year career in big tech. Canon had revenue of $32 billion in 2021, there is zero reason for any of us to care about their business decisions unless we are MBA's or investors. As customers it's simply irrelevant. Canon is making the decisions they are making not out of any love for their customers or the art of photography, but purely based on determining just how much milk they can extract out of thier cows. Nothing more, nothing less. And unless we make decisions to limit the success of such strategies, they will simply do more.

Stop licking boots. And yeah, this is all true for Fujifilm, Sony, Nikon, etc. And why brand loyalty is for suckers.

• Sad
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
You shouldn’t care.

The problem is when people on the forum claim that because of whatever Canon is doing that they personally don’t like (discontinuing the M series, blocking 3rd party AF lenses from the RF mount, not making an RF 50/1.4, having poor low ISO DR, it’s a long list!), Canon will suffer consequences in terms of lost market share, etc. People take a personal issue and try to artificially add significance to it by attaching business consequences. Then they get upset when the reality of the business case is thrown back at them.

Please note, I’m not suggesting you’re doing this. But it is a regrettably common tactic on this forum.

Upvote 0

ReflexVE

CR Pro
May 5, 2020
Renton, WA
You shouldn’t care.

The problem is when people on the forum claim that because of whatever Canon is doing that they personally don’t like (discontinuing the M series, blocking 3rd party AF lenses from the RF mount, not making an RF 50/1.4, having poor low ISO DR, it’s a long list!), Canon will suffer consequences in terms of lost market share, etc. People take a personal issue and try to artificially add significance to it by attaching business consequences. Then they get upset when the reality of the business case is thrown back at them.

Please note, I’m not suggesting you’re doing this. But it is a regrettably common tactic on this forum.
Oh absolutely, and that's silly. They may or may not, I have no idea. My personal use case is anecdote, not data. And as I said they own half the market, they would have a *lot* of time to course correct if it proved detrimental. My only point is that as a now former customer their decisions about the M mount directly led to my departure, and the blockage of third party lenses reinforced that it was the right move. How many others feel that way I couldn't say, but even if Fuji doubled it's market share purely due to M mount switchers it would be barely a rounding error to Canon.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0