More About the EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
Re: More About the EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R

The Flasher said:
dilbert said:
... I'm kind of expecting it to be in the vicinity of the 1DX so far as price goes.

At that price it'll be dead on arrival. The competition's offerings are in the $3.5k mark.

Cheers

If $3.5K is where it lands, they've got my attention. If I were to venture a shot in the dark, I would guess either $3999 or $4999. I would hope I was way off (like I was about the 7D2), but I just still remember being gobsmacked by the jump in price from 5D2 to 5D3.

Upvote 0

drmikeinpdx said:
I can't see myself buying any of the new cameras, as I'm very happy with the 5D3 for my needs.

Going by that, Canon won't sell any 5ds at all - it has been stated again and again that 18mp is plenty 'nuff and there are severe drawbacks with higher sensor resolutions ...

... unless everyone has 50mp, you're getting left behind and the thing sits in front of you at your favorite retailer or one click away on amazon :->

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

danski0224 said:
I have read more than once that high ISO ability takes something away from low ISO- you can't have both with current technology.

Please ignore such claims. Anything that helps at high ISO helps at low ISO as well. Some things that help at low ISO help less at high ISO, but this isn't tuning an engine for low RPM versus high RPM.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

Canon Rumors said:
We’re told this is because of a much stronger CFA which will produce much greater color accuracy than anything currently in the Canon lineup.

I'd be incredibly shocked if this made any real difference in color performance. Current raw images have way, way more gamut than any of the spaces we use and we have plenty of ability to find the right color in those areas with the possible exception of the whole purple/violet issue.

I've never found color accuracy to be a problem with any sensor, given raw shooting and processing with good tools.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010

Lee Jay said:
Canon Rumors said:
We’re told this is because of a much stronger CFA which will produce much greater color accuracy than anything currently in the Canon lineup.

I'd be incredibly shocked if this made any real difference in color performance. Current raw images have way, way more gamut than any of the spaces we use and we have plenty of ability to find the right color in those areas with the possible exception of the whole purple/violet issue.

I've never found color accuracy to be a problem with any sensor, given raw shooting and processing with good tools.

I disagree, I find when correcting color with my Color Checker that introduces noise that I could do without. To able to get correct color, and especially skin color, without the color checker would be fantastic!

Upvote 0

Lee Jay said:
Canon Rumors said:

Just compare an older Canon with a newer - for example 1Ds Mark III vs 5D Mark III. The color balance and accuracy out of camera on normal ISO is much better in the old-timer thanks to a thicker CFA. Files simply need less work and that might be a huge time-saver for many photographers.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

Viggo said:
Lee Jay said:
Canon Rumors said:

I disagree, I find when correcting color with my Color Checker that introduces noise that I could do without. To able to get correct color, and especially skin color, without the color checker would be fantastic!

A stronger CFA is going to give you less light captured and thus more noise, not less.

Upvote 0

Lee Jay

EOS 7D Mark II
Sep 22, 2011

memoriaphoto said:
Lee Jay said:
Canon Rumors said:

Just compare an older Canon with a newer - for example 1Ds Mark III vs 5D Mark III. The color balance and accuracy out of camera on normal ISO is much better in the old-timer thanks to a thicker CFA. Files simply need less work and that might be a huge time-saver for many photographers.

Well, I have a 5D and a 550D, and I just don't see any real difference in this area between those two, and they would, I would guess, represent opposite ends of the spectrum in this area.

Upvote 0

i absolutely love this camera is potentially designed for studio and landscape. PLEASE have groundbreaking dynamic range!

for wedding/portrait crew that have their panties in a bunch: get over it already, get a 5D3, or stop wasting time complaining on an internet forum because you're probably an amateur anyway. any truly talented pro can produce incredible images with a 5D3.

my $.02

Upvote 0

Lee Jay said:
Viggo said:
Lee Jay said:
Canon Rumors said:

A stronger CFA is going to give you less light captured and thus more noise, not less.

The reality is somewhat more complex than that. It really depends on the implementation. For a given, fixed sensor efficiency, and ignoring the effects of read noise, stronger separation of color through more selective filters will generally result in less chrominance noise at the expense of greater overall luminance noise due to greater photon shot noise. If there is *no* filter, such as in the Leica Monochrom, then you have no ability to distinguish color (hence chroma noise is essentially undefined). If the filter is very weak, you could pick out colors, but very poorly--your chroma noise will be large if you try to compensate by boosting the saturation. If the filter is too strong, you've lost a lot of luminance information--a full stop or more--and although you've reduced the chroma noise, the luminance noise is worsened enough that the overall result is an increase in perceived noise. So we would expect that there would be a sweet spot of filter bandwidth that strikes a balance between color fidelity versus light-gathering ability.

Then things get even more complicated with read noise and other considerations such as lens transmission as a function of wavelength. Real-world photographic systems perform in ways that do not necessarily follow theoretical or idealized models. In fact, they rarely do.

Upvote 0

Canon has not earned their long term position on top of this market by being stupid. So even though there are lots of information we still need to see about these cameras, I am confident that for all of us who want a high resolution, high DR, low noise body, we will get it this time. (By the way, I am sometimes regarded as a bit optimistic ...)

I believe/hope this body will be the perfect compliment to my 1DX, which I expect to keep for action, birds and wildlife. My 5DIII will be for sale some time during the weekend.

Upvote 0

I think this is great news. Trying to make the 5DIV both a studio/landscape ultimate high resolution stills camera AND a sports/all-around/versatile/video camera would've meant sacrifices in both domains.

Now that there will be 2 (3) options of the next 5D, each can focus on their strengths.

Personally I'm looking forward to what the 5DIV has to offer.

Upvote 0

Hurrah!

Common sense over ISO's. Whilst the high numbers have been amazing.... I kind of felt out on a limb for doing the traditional things like adding light and keeping the ISO's low. In my film days I would have used 800 with reservations and would have had a long think before using 1600.

Whilst I cannot claim there are no practical situations requiring 12'800, 104'500 etc.. I did get the feeling that for a lot of users it was because they could, rather than because they should....

Keen to see the video. Even a 16:9 crop of the 3:2 sensor should still yeild above 32MP.... nice clean UHD sampling.. potentially.

Upvote 0

Bruce Photography

Landscapes, 5DX,7D,60D,EOSM,D800/E,D810,D7100
Feb 15, 2011
Fort Bragg, CA

It is too early to say for sure whether to place my order for the R but next month I'll plan on cleaning up my Canon glass and a testing strategy and plan. I'm choosing the R because I have the D800 and the D800E and the D810 and for my high definition landscape work I prefer to work without the AA filter and it surpasses the D800 in resolution. As a side note, I see this result in the D7100 as well.

My work is really almost always on a tripod, live view, cable release, shutter delay or electronic shutter on the 810. On this new Canon camera, my questions revolve around dynamic range (pulling detail out of the shadows while protecting detail in the highlights) as well as price and delivery. Now that I know Canon has finally committed to a high MP camera I can relax knowing that I will once again be able to use my Canon tilt-shift lenses as well as my super-tel. Now I might even look at that new lightweight 400mm that has caught my eye. This R version camera looks like my kind of camera as long as IQ is excellent at low ISO.

Upvote 0