More About the EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R

Re: More About the EOS 5DS & EOS 5DS R

I can't wait to get this camera to use for my Instagram account.

LOL, but in all seriousness, I am looking forward to picking up a cheap lightly used 5DM3 from someone that just has to have the best.

Upvote 0

Anyone think they will kill the 6D and replace it with one of these 5D variants? I bought one of the refurnished 6D's over the holidays thanks to this site, paid $1200. It's great, but I can see them killing it off and replacing it with the 5D's with no low-pass filter.

Thoughts?

Upvote 0

Could care less about a 6400ISO Max. For landscapes and portrait work, don't need it.

Hell, basketball I never shoot over ISO 320. It's either 320 or 160 but I strobe every basketball game, so this would be a backup to my backup.

My biggest beef with canon is completely unrelated to this body, it's with the 11-24/4. It better be one DAMN good piece of glass for the estimates of the price posted or I'm going to pick up a Nikon 14-24 with an adapter. 2.8 would had really been nice Canon. Really, especially if the lens is $3000

Upvote 0

torger said:
That's really interesting. A claimed advantage of medium format digital cameras have been that they have color-optimized CFAs rather than high ISO, it would be awesome if this sensor has taken the same type of optimization.

With 50MP, I wonder if this sensor (when it was in the field in prototype bodies) started the whole "Canon is getting into medium format" rumors. Sounds like this body gets you to medium format resolution and color, lacking only the depth of field.

Upvote 0

c.d.embrey said:
Who makes the NEW Sensor ??? The administrator over at Sony Alpha Rumors is bleating that's it's probably a Sony Sensor.

Of course he's often wrong about claiming wishful thinking to be truth ;)

I highly doubt it. It sounds like the new sensor has the same pixel pitch as the 7D II, and Canon has long been proud of their "fully integrated in house" approach. I'll believe it has a Sony sensor when someone tears it apart and actually finds a Sony sensor inside...and I personally believe hell will freeze over on that day. :p

Upvote 0

JimKarczewski said:
Hell, basketball I never shoot over ISO 320. It's either 320 or 160 but I strobe every basketball game, so this would be a backup to my backup.

Really? Wow. As a person who gets ophthalmic migraines from bright camera flashes, the first thing I'd do as a basketball player in a game you're shooting is accidentally on purpose crash into your strobes.

Upvote 0

PureClassA said:
Given that THESE are the high MP bodies, how much better is the actual 5D4 going to be than the 5D3? A small to modest boost in MP? same 61 AF? 7-8 FPS? maybe 4k? It all depends on what you need. I suspect if you are very happy with a 5D3 now... a 5D4 won't add much to your plate. Buy the 5DS and keep the 5D3

Excellent point. I tend to buy bodies every other generation (I went from a 5DC to 5D3) and keep them for a very long time. My 5D3 is nearly three years old now, and I've said all along that I'm so happy with it that I'd most likely skip the 5D4 and wait for the 5D Mark 5. A modest bump in resolution, frame rate, or DR simply won't be enough to entice me to upgrade.

On the other hand, there are some (but not many) shooting scenarios where a 5Ds-type body would be beneficial to me. Segmenting the 5D line at least has me considering purchasing such a body to complement my 5D3, whereas I had no intention of buying another body until reading the recent rumors.

Honestly, a set of Profoto B1 lights are much higher on my priority list than a 50 megapixel camera :)

Upvote 0

So this is a camera optimized for low ISO performance. Canon is talking about stronger CFA and all of that....(which, given that for color depth above 24 bits is basically indiscernible to the human eye, is a total waste of time IMO. The only potential benefit MIGHT be lower color noise, if they are more finely restricting the colors through each CFA...but color noise would also be reduced if they would reduce their darn read noise.)

But once again...utter silence about read noise and dynamic range. This is, clearly, a Low ISO part from Canon. If they had resolved their low ISO read noise issues...one would think they would be proclaiming it to the heavens. Why the silence? :\

I don't want to lose the last little bit of hope I have in Canon...

Upvote 0

Eldar said:
Canon has not earned their long term position on top of this market by being stupid. So even though there are lots of information we still need to see about these cameras, I am confident that for all of us who want a high resolution, high DR, low noise body, we will get it this time. (By the way, I am sometimes regarded as a bit optimistic ...)

I believe/hope this body will be the perfect compliment to my 1DX, which I expect to keep for action, birds and wildlife. My 5DIII will be for sale some time during the weekend.

+1...for different reason on my end :)

Upvote 0

jrista said:
So this is a camera optimized for low ISO performance. Canon is talking about stronger CFA and all of that....(which, given that for color depth above 24 bits is basically indiscernible to the human eye, is a total waste of time IMO. The only potential benefit MIGHT be lower color noise, if they are more finely restricting the colors through each CFA...but color noise would also be reduced if they would reduce their darn read noise.)

But once again...utter silence about read noise and dynamic range. This is, clearly, a Low ISO part from Canon. If they had resolved their low ISO read noise issues...one would think they would be proclaiming it to the heavens. Why the silence? :\

I don't want to lose the last little bit of hope I have in Canon...

The point you make about the read noise being an overriding factor is a good one and I agree.

Given that the information provided thus far about the camera is very preliminary, and we know nothing about the technology in the sensor, much less seen any actual images from this camera, there are "glass half-empty" and "glass half-full" viewpoints:

Pessimist view: Increased color discrimination in this camera will be largely useless because Canon didn't improve the low ISO read noise. Canon did it because all they can do is implement incremental, tangential improvements in their sensor technology, and cannot compete against Sony.

Optimist view: Increased color discrimination in this camera was implemented precisely because Canon improved the low ISO read noise hence making the existing CFA performance inadequate, especially in post processing losses in color fidelity when bumping shadows by several stops.

Which one will turn out to be the case is unknowable at this time. But the answer will most definitely determine the success of this camera.

Upvote 0