Multiple mentions put the Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution “around 24mp”

Jan 27, 2020
I guess it is to be expected, but it is really funny to me how spec oriented the people on this forum are. Oh how terrible, 24 MPs instead of 30 Mp. A difference that will probably not be noticeable for any hand held shots and/or peeping at less than 100% (or maybe even 200%) or so - at least based on my experience.

I'm sure those who actually buy the camera will find it does exactly what it is intended to do. As always with Canon.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

calfoto

Long Time Lurker
CR Pro
Feb 27, 2013
Still, could be a firmware limit on pre-release cameras.
That was my thought as well - on my R5 the full frame resolution on the menu is 8192x5464 - if it were a true 4x6 ration it would be 8196. However the reduced resolution jpegs are true 4x6 ratio if you do the pixel math, since they are downsized by the camera’s software. It seems a bit too coincidental that the full resolution of the sensor would be exactly 4000x6000 px natively, much more likely it’s downsized internally in the R3 as a JPEG

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
That was my thought as well - on my R5 the full frame resolution on the menu is 8192x5464 - if it were a true 4x6 ration it would be 8196. However the reduced resolution jpegs are true 4x6 ratio if you do the pixel math, since they are downsized by the camera’s software. It seems a bit too coincidental that the full resolution of the sensor would be exactly 4000x6000 px natively, much more likely it’s downsized internally in the R3 as a JPEG
The roundness of the numbers isn't an indicator; 24MP cameras really are precisely 6000x4000. At least my Rebel T6i and M50 are.

A 96MP beast might very well come in at precisely 12000x8000.

I'm not surprised that 8196 became 8192, as 8192 is precisely 8K (computer K that is).

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The r5 cannot autofocus on small birds against a busy background (think passerines in a forest) anything like a DSLR. Unless Canon solves this problem, I wouldnt buy the r3 for birds. I just bought another DSLR because my r5 does not work in a forest/jungle. The r5 is great otherwise and OK for manual focus in a forest/jungle. See forums for more explanation; e.g., https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/threads/problems-with-af-on-birds-r5.39490/page-5
This problem is overplayed (see my post in the thread you just linked to). Mirrorless do have more problems than DSLRs in focussing against a background but I now never notice the problem because I am using one back button for centre point focus and another for eyeAF and tracking, and flick between the two when tracking fails. I can even can capture small dragonflies in flight against backgrounds https://www.canonrumors.com/forum/t...rf-100-500mm-for-dragonflies-in-flight.40622/ as well as birds flying against backgrounds. I will never go back to DSLRs although I have a couple of bodies for back up until I get a second mirrorless although I greatly enjoy using them.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
For me it sounds like I’ll be waiting to see what the R1 has in store. I print very large and I’m also coming from Nikon. I’ve been way too comfortable with 36mp and 45mp to go lower. This camera will be killer, but for my first canon camera, I’ll be going with the R5 or perhaps waiting to see what the R1 has in store. If resources were unlimited I’d love to add an R3 to my arsenal. Exciting days ahead.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
You can pretty much bet that any image allowed to be published will be in a mode and/or meet a specification "arbitrarily" set by Canon to not tip the real capability of the camera. The photographers may (for example) have the real RAW files on hand, but be mandated to use a throttled version of DPP to produce compliant output. (No actual knowledge of the device or process, just conjecture about one way such a rumor could start...)
It will only shoot in JPG, there’s no software available to process RAW R3 files. Sports photographers shooting for the wires wouldn’t be shooting RAW anyways.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Weren't the older sports bodies only limited in resolution to achive better fps?
Believe it or not, a lot of sports shooters requested Canon keep the MP count down.
It was not just a technical limitation.
There are a lot of sports photographers with R5 cameras as well so I guess there is demand for both.
I suspect the R1 will be a high-resolution camera and those folks will travel with an R1 and an R3.
Arguably, since Canon already has the 1DX III it would have made more sense to come out with the higher resolution model first.
However, it is not like Canon to debut a new technology like their first stacked BSI sensor in the top model.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
My main concern is the weather sealing. My 7DMkII has coped with some very wet weather with no problems (sometimes better than me), unlike my 40D, which did not like that sort of treatment. Hence 1-series protection on the R3 sounds appealing. Where does the R5 fit on this scale?
The R5 is very nicely weather sealed which greatly contributes to the overheating

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Granted we‘re not talking apples-to-apples, since I’m talking about motion/video, but global shutter is the main reason I bought a Sony F55 over an F5. At introduction the F55 commanded a ~$15K premium over the F5.
Yet another reason that RED Komodo is so amazing at 6K.
I am also interested in the ZCAM E2-S6G which is the same price.
I have a feeling I will end up with the RED.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
If Canon really wants to keep the true resolution under wraps, a better way is to have prerelease firmware limit it to 24MP right on the camera. That way they’re not relying on somebody else remembering to resize the images before publishing them when things are happening fast at the olympics.
That would work but people would not really be testing the camera.

Upvote 0

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
I guess it is to be expected, but it is really funny to me how spec oriented the people on this forum are. Oh how terrible, 24 MPs instead of 30 Mp. A difference that will probably not be noticeable for any hand held shots and/or peeping at less than 100% (or maybe even 200%) or so - at least based on my experience.

I'm sure those who actually buy the camera will find it does exactly what it is intended to do. As always with Canon.
The difference between 24 and 30mp is noticeable for me and the photography I do. Wanting or needing a certain resolution sensor to do certain work is not being spec oriented. It is wanting to have the best tool for the job. In the past, we were limited to a certain maximum resolution and fps because that is what was possible given the current state of technology. Currently, we know the technology exists to provide both high resolution and speed in the same camera body. Why should I not want the R3 to be 30-45mp and shoot 30 fps if that is what would suit my work the best? This along with improved AF, reduced rolling shutter, better high ISO performance than what the Canon R5, Sony a9II, Sony a1, or Nikon Z9 can likely will provide. It would be the best tool for the the type of photography I do to pay the bills (birds and wildlife). It is looking more and more like I will need to wait for the R1 to get the tool I have been waiting for from Canon, but that does not mean I can't hope the R3 will provide it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Seems realistic. But what is the benefit to buying an R3 now instead of waiting for the R1? The R5 is (more than) capable enough for most people for another year or so.
Income derived from image sales. Cost, the R1 is going to cost a lot more than an R3. Feature overreach, if an R3 does the job at, for instance, 24mp at 30 fps, why wait a year spend more money and miss out on images between then and now for more mp and fps you don’t need.

Amateurs/enthusiasts and pros look at cameras completely differently. I suspect most enthusiasts want x model but get y model because of cost. Most pros need x model because of a feature set so buy x model, they don’t buy a model because it has ‘more’ unless they need those specific features for specific output.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Crazy limitations like physics, huh.
Why exactly?
The Sony A1 offers 8k without overheat (externaly) AND 50mp with 30fps. (which is TWICHE the amount of data, compared to the Canon R3 with half the resolution). The A1 got no fan and a super compact body...
I cant see any physical limitation in play here. Can you elaborate what you mean?

The R5 obviously suffers from a design error in the thermal heatsink design (they should have used copper). Kolarivision offers a fix for the faulty heatpipe that canon put inside: https://kolarivision.com/product-category/r5overheating/ (doubles record time, probably unlimited 4k oversampled external recording).

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Just out of curiosity, would the rumored R5c interest you?
Good question :)
I think it depends on the resolution. Since I do product shots (where resolution is VERY nice to have to get a clean cutout an retouch result), wedding and landscape, I realy appreciate the R5 with the 45mp.

I think the perfect camera for me would be the R5 without the overheat. That would be perfect. Even external withouth overheat (4k raw maybe) would be good enough. But the overheat is realy a downer for me and the only reason I look for the next canon cameras. (My camera overheats after 20 minutes of 4k60 over a 60 minute period or after 4 minutes of 4k100 in total....)
Everything else is perfectly fine - a compact body, a beautyfull image in photo an video, 4k100, excellent AF performance...
If the R5c got 45mp and video without overheat (4k60 and 4k100) than it would be an INSTANT switch for me :)

• Love
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2017
It will only shoot in JPG, there’s no software available to process RAW R3 files. Sports photographers shooting for the wires wouldn’t be shooting RAW anyways.
Half my shoots are JPG. I don't have interns to sort through RAW files and spend hours editorializing. I really wish people would understand that not every shoot is an hour in the field and 3 days in the edit bay. I'm sure half the shooters at the games this year started out with film rolls.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0