New PowerShot & EOS Cameras to Offer DOF Control?

May 31, 2011
Re: New PowerShot & EOS Cameras to Offer DOF Control?

Albi86 said:
Lightmaster said:
the rumor is very vague..

+1

A lot of heat for something that we don't even have a clue of what it is.

There was a guy advertising for photography services a few years back on Craig's list. His sample images looked like a mobile phone with some really bad bokeh filters applied.

I'm not saying everyone needs full frame and an f1.2 prime, but the assertion that comparable professional results can come from such techniques are so asinine.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012

Albi86 said:
Lightmaster said:
the rumor is very vague..

+1

A lot of heat for something that we don't even have a clue of what it is.

Absolutely. Canon people may be slow but they are not idiots. If they bringing something on, they must have reasons.

Upvote 0

Sounds to me like a mode in which the camera determines the subject near and far distance and sets aperture to ensure all subjects are in focus.

take for example a shot of a group of people. face detection could be used to determine the distance to the subject closest to the camera and the suject farthest from the camera, then select the aperture that mathmatically satisfies the DOF with that lens.

Sounds like a cool feature for consumer level cameras or even for shooting video if it was dynamic enough to adapt to the changing environment in real time.

Upvote 0

Steve Todd said:
Many of Canon EOS film bodies had a "Depth" mode, so this is kind of a "Back to the Future" event!

Yes, my 50e (ElanIIe) had this already (camera Date introduced = September 1995):

DEP is for depth of field auto exposure mode. It allows the camera to decide the
appropriate aperture and focus position to provide enough depth of field to keep two
selected distances sharply in focus. The easiest way to use it is to turn the Command
Dial to DEP, and use the center auto focus sensor, point the camera at the first subject
and press the shutter button half way to autofocus. Let the button up and then point the
same AF sensor on the top of the second subject and press the shutter half way again
to allow the lens to autofocus on the second subject. Then reframe your camera and
take the picture. The camera will select a focus distance between the subject distances,
then select an aperture small enough to keep both subjects in focus and then select a
shutter speed that will provide proper exposure. If you select the same subject distance
twice, the camera will select the widest aperture available to keep depth of field very
shallow. The lens must be set to AF for DEP mode to work and if you are using a zoom
lens, you must not change its zoom setting during the entire procedure. You can also
manually or eye control select the side AF sensors, but I think it just adds confusion.
A blinking aperture indicated that sufficient depth of field (DOF) can not be achieved.
You must focus on subjects that are closer to the same distance apart or use a wider angle
lens.
(ref: http://www.google.nl/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCkQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fgraphics.stanford.edu%2F~niloy%2FmiscDocs%2FelanIIe.pdf&ei=2sBnU7iiDcn-PPi8gOAL&usg=AFQjCNFcpLQfmpOPCiZ99ceN_esrVc9bDw)

Maybe Canon will now also bring back the eye controlled autofocus feature!!! 8)

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada

jdramirez said:
sanj said:
Absolutely. Canon people may be slow but they are not idiots. If they bringing something on, they must have reasons.

I feel that Canon has enough misses to make a credible challenge to your idiot claim. :p

Of course they have reasons.... why else would they do it.

As to if the reasons pass the test of time or if those reasons are accepted by the marketplace, that is a completely different problem.....

Upvote 0
Nov 4, 2011

could be anything ... from a really lousy "art filter" to add artificial blur ... to "A-DEP revisited" ... all the way to what Lighmaster wrote (depth map based on dual-pixel info from sensor) ...

It definitely will NOT be true peloptic/lightfield imaging (along the lines of Lytro) sice that would represent "change and innovation" in the magnitude of a million times Canon's boldest possible imagination. :)

Whatever it may be ... I just hope the disease will be tightly confined to Powershots and Rebels. :)

Upvote 0
May 31, 2011

East Wind Photography said:
Sounds to me like a mode in which the camera determines the subject near and far distance and sets aperture to ensure all subjects are in focus.

take for example a shot of a group of people. face detection could be used to determine the distance to the subject closest to the camera and the suject farthest from the camera, then select the aperture that mathmatically satisfies the DOF with that lens.

Sounds like a cool feature for consumer level cameras or even for shooting video if it was dynamic enough to adapt to the changing environment in real time.

That's a cool feature and I think it would be perfect for a consumer level camera.

Upvote 0

I see two options:

1. A pattern of dual pixels across the sensor (in addition to the ones for focusing?) which can take a deep depth of field and simulate a shallow one. While Canon has the technology for this (and this is definitely the cooler of the options), it feels too techie for them to use in entry-level gear (where most whiz-bang features tend to be software).

2. Focus stacking with lots of fps. This seems more likely to me, especially if they market this as a macro option (since macro shots still can get kinda shallow DoF on a compact). Also, it's mostly a matter of software (provided there's processing power for it), which is more consistent with consumer products.

Upvote 0

Dylan777 said:
dstppy said:
This makes me confused and that makes me cranky.

Don't my existing DSLR's have this already? Don't we call it Av?

What if you missed your subject in Av mode @ big apertures?
;D I never miss! How absurd!

Besides, that one-eye-in-focus look is, um, artsy! ::)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

I know the consensus is that this wouldn't be true "Lightfield" technology. But, is there some reason to say that?

Just curious. It seems like sooner or later some manufacturer will incorporate the technology into DSLRs. Or is there some basic issue with the technology that would make that impossible?

Upvote 0

dstppy said:
This makes me confused and that makes me cranky.

Don't my existing DSLR's have this already? Don't we call it Av?

No the Lytro thing has nothing to do with Av mode at all. It's almost more like capturing a hologram almost in a way.

But it's a tricky thing to pull off while maintaining a lot of MP and so on, so I'm kinda of surprised to hear about them managing to go there already with a DSLR.

Upvote 0

Lightmaster said:
sounds like a stupid art filter.

to at least calculate good looking DOF in post you need a depth map.
and it takes some time on a average desktop pc (like a i7 2600K) to calculate the DOF from a depth map.

i have to do it every day, for videos and stills.
i render out images and a special z-buffer image for the depth information.
from that depth map (a grayscale image that show distance information in shades of grey) i can then calculate and move the focus point in PS, after effects or nuke to my liking.

even the good rosenman DOF plugin or the lenscare DOF plugin for photoshop need a lot of time/processing power and still the results are often not 100% perfect (antialiasing issues because of differences in depth map and image informations).

fast processing in camera for JPG`s .... i don´t see how a rebel camera can do it so that the quality would satisfy me.

But that is the whole point here it is not just shooting something at like f/36 and then apply art filters after. It's capturing the depth field itself when you shoot.

But I find it hard to believe Canon could have something like this working at the quality we expect from a DSLR for a DSLR. I tend to think this rumor is made up or the person sending it in radically misinterpreted something he overheard and maybe it's just bringing back the old EOS DOF click click shoot thing or something?? The latter would have nothing to do with the Lytro stuff at all.

Upvote 0

East Wind Photography said:

My original EOS650 had that.

Upvote 0