Nikon D5 Specifications Surface

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
dilbert said:
Canon DSLRs will let you shoot 24fps 1080p at 1/500 - i.e. shoot video without motion blur. Now it won't look very good as video because that motion blur isn't there but just saying.

Yes, well done, you can control motion blur in video, and you can swing the balance to favour individual frames at the expense of the footage. But for multiple reasons video is not suitable to replace stills photography. Do you need me to go over those reasons again?

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
GMCPhotographics said:
I find a wry irony when photographers get their "knickers in a twist" (a UK phrase) over video capabilities in modern DSLR cameras. When Mr Lecia invented the 35mm stills format...

I hate to break it to you but the D5, 1DXII, etc, are no longer 35mm film cameras.

You might say the same for arguing about whether WiFi/GPS should be in the camera, or if tethered shooting should be supported and so on.

That was then, this is now.

True but the format...is still based on the frame size of 35mm film. The same format laid down by Mr Lecia.

Upvote 0

rs

Dec 29, 2012
UK
dilbert said:
rs said:
dilbert said:
Canon DSLRs will let you shoot 24fps 1080p at 1/500 - i.e. shoot video without motion blur. Now it won't look very good as video because that motion blur isn't there but just saying.

Yes, well done, you can control motion blur in video, and you can swing the balance to favour individual frames at the expense of the footage. But for multiple reasons video is not suitable to replace stills photography. Do you need me to go over those reasons again?

For sports, it is often going to be good enough. The camera is going to track autofocus, metering will be good enough. You've got the screen on the back to use (note that in 14fps with the 1DX, you get mirror locked up anyway, so at 20fps for stills, the mirror is also likely to be forced locked up.)

On paper it may seem like video isn't good enough to replace video but when you can shoot 4k video, it may be worth revisiting it.

12 fps right now on the 1D X works perfectly in tune with the mirror, AF, aperture control and IS of all the latest and greatest lenses. When Canon introduce improvements to the spec of their products, they're not going to do a Sony - it will be conservative changes, but each and every one will work, and work reliably so pros can depend on the kit.

Very few will require a big step change from 12 fps with full functionality to something like 30 or 60 fps.

And to say quality doesn't matter for sports is a fallacy. Any form of fast action sequence where high fps is beneficial can see dramatic lighting changes in no time at all. Whether it's wildlife, sports or anything else, when things are changing fast and you've got unrepeatable situations rapidly unfolding in front of you, you need to rely on the camera to do the job rather than being yet another challenge to fight with. Think of a cycling road race or a bird in flight etc where you're tracking something going in and out of shadows rapidly. And once you've captured the moment, RAW can come in handy for some.

If we do get to the point where you've got a camera which takes perfect high resolution full frame stills at 30+ fps which has fast tracking AF, metering per frame, a suitable stills aspect ratio and a non-laggy viewfinder, then that camera is still very definitely shooting stills, not video.

Upvote 0
Jul 14, 2012
GMCPhotographics said:
Brand loyalty is something that Nikon have squandered

A couple of posts this week by photographers who are primarily Nikon users (I'm sure there are plenty more elsewhere) reinforce this conclusion:

https://photographylife.com/dont-be-a-guinea-pig

http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-does-actually-doesnt.html (in conjunction with http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/branding-and-nikons-shrinki.html)

Upvote 0