Off Brand: Sony Announces the A9

Mar 2, 2012
Cthulhu said:
Nothing except for more money, less performance, compromised weather sealing. Oh, less FPS too, like a quarter of it as of now and half with a rumored firmware upgrade.

There are already rumored firmware updates? Or is it just a wish list?

I imagine adapter companies can spoof a native sony lens ID to get electronic shutter with third party lenses, but it probably won't perform as well.

Upvote 0
Nov 17, 2011
ahsanford said:
photojoern.de said:
Another interesting thing regarding the A9: I was very surprised when I realized that it was made for the e-Mount, not for the A-mount. That means, implicitly, the A-Mount is dead.

Everyone said the A-mount is dead after the A7R came out, the A7R II came out, etc. Then the A99-II surfaced.

The FE mount gets the hot stuff first because the mirrorless market is popular for them, and because it allows Sony to court CaNikon shooters (who can adapt the lenses they already own).

But Sony can always jam most of that same technology into a future A-mount rig. For instance, the A99-II is effectively an SLT with the A7R II sensor.

The A-mount is certainly Sony's second most important (stills camera) mount, but I think it will live on. It will just have slower refresh timing than the FE mount.

- A

Agree, It's hard for them to compete with two primary leaders Canon & Nikon in DSLR.

Upvote 0
3kramd5 said:
Cthulhu said:
Nothing except for more money, less performance, compromised weather sealing. Oh, less FPS too, like a quarter of it as of now and half with a rumored firmware upgrade.

I imagine adapter companies can spoof a native sony lens ID to get electronic shutter with third party lenses, but it probably won't perform as well.

What I've heard on interviews is a firmware is being worked on so that A mount lenses can use the electronic shutter. Adapted lenses have to use a 5fps mechanical shutter and don't have access to their continuous autofocus mode.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Cthulhu said:
3kramd5 said:
Cthulhu said:

What I've heard on interviews is a firmware is being worked on so that A mount lenses can use the electronic shutter.

I thought they already could, but only at 10 FPS.

Upvote 0
ERHP said:
It kinda brings back memories of when the goal was make cell phones so small you could barely hold them and now we have people walking around with 7" tablets for their phone.

The goal was to make cell phones small when they were mainly used for calling or maaaaaaybe light text messaging. For a lot of us, the voice part is about the fifth most important thing a cell phone does these days. At best. And the other things are improved by being larger.

Upvote 0