SIGMA will address the RF mount in 2022 [CR3]

Andy Westwood

EOS R6
CR Pro
Dec 10, 2016
UK
My Sigma 14 – 24 f/2.8 adapts flawlessly to RF mount. However, most of us want native glass.

I spoke to a Sigma rep at the Photography Show in Birmingham a few months ago, he said it is Canon holding back. Sooner or later Canon should let 3rd party lens manufacturer’s supply lenses or ultimately, they will lose out to the likes of Sony who offer a better choice in lens suppliers.

Interestingly he also said once Canon issue a licence, Sigma will offer a service to convert certain Sigma EF mount lenses to a standard RF mount.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My Sigma 14 – 24 f/2.8 adapts flawlessly to RF mount. However, most of us want native glass.

I spoke to a Sigma rep at the Photography Show in Birmingham a few months ago, he said it is Canon holding back. Sooner or later Canon should let 3rd party lens manufacturer’s supply lenses or ultimately, they will lose out to the likes of Sony who offer a better choice in lens suppliers.

Interestingly he also said once Canon issue a licence, Sigma will offer a service to convert certain Sigma EF mount lenses to a standard RF mount.
Will that be cheaper and more effective than using an adapter I wonder?

Upvote 0

dlee13

Canon EOS R6
May 13, 2014
Australia
I'd love the newest Sigma 85mm f/1.4 in RF mount. It's roughly the same size as the Canon RF 85 f/2. I dig what Canon has done with their f/1.2 lenses, but they're significantly bigger than the EF versions and with the smaller mirrorless bodies they just don't balance well. First to get some decently compact f/1.4 primes out gets my money.
I owned the Sigma 85mm DN Art when I shot Sony and it was seriously such a nice lens. I consider it the true successor to the EX lens as it’s a similar size and has such nice rendering.

I own the RF 85mm f/2 so not sure what I’d do I’d the Art releases, I’d probably just own both…

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
There has been a lot of speculation over time that Canon would not issue licenses to allow 3rd party makers full access to (eg) the full 12 pins in the new mount. I wonder whether the background to this rumour is actually that Canon have now agreed to issue such licenses? If so, Sigma and others would need time to translate that into actual lenses.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada

I too suspect it's a matter of getting the R mount licensed from Canon, and that it's not just a matter of manufacturing capacity. Why else would they keep putting out DN lenses for Sony E, and not even an announcement for Canon R.

As such, I hope this rumour is news that Sigma may have struck a deal with Canon, rather than Sigma having resolved its manufacturing/supply chain issues.

2022 is pretty broad. Will we see something in a few months or will we have to wait another full year?

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Very nice. Competition will also help check Canon's RF lens prices.
I see no reason for Canon to reduce their RF prices (much as I would like them to). For the most part, Canon have features in their RF that aren't in their EF counterparts (if they exist) so their range is really RF + adapted Canon EF lenses which have a lower price point (bar 600/800mm big whites). People's allergy to the R mount adaptor is hard to understand except maybe for the big whites. Given the supply shortages, to have expectations of a price reduction is not logical.

Adapted EF Tamron/Sigma lenses should work fine as far as I know
If their RF versions have a control ring then that would be a good sign that they have a license from Canon.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012

Interestingly he also said once Canon issue a license, Sigma will offer a service to convert certain Sigma EF mount lenses to a standard RF mount.
I'm surprised that there is any actual licensing going on. In the 1970s and/or 1980s, Canon had the reputation of thinking of third party lens manufacturers as absolute parasites but there was nothing that Canon could do about them except stonewall.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
I'm surprised that there is any actual licensing going on. In the 1970s and/or 1980s, Canon had the reputation of thinking of third party lens manufacturers as absolute parasites but there was nothing that Canon could do about them except stonewall.
Seems to me that it's time for a lawsuit against Canon to open up the RF protocol. USA vs Microsoft (with regards to Internet Explorer) could be a precedent.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I love me some Art glass and I need a FF 24-70. But the EF 24-70 isn't at the same level as most of thee rest of the Art glass so I am hoping it comes early in the road map which is likely. These will definitely be the same mirrorless lenses we have seen for Sony just with a different mount since that is how all their previous lenses worked.

BTW my biggest beef with the EF 85 1.4 Art is that is needs an 87mm filter. If you are shooting wide open in daylight even with the shutter at 1/8000 you are going to need an ND quite often.
The filter size was one of the determining factors in me parting way s with the lens. I loved the optics, but the size was just a little too off base for earning a place in my bag. At the time, I was shooting with strobes that were very terrible with HSS and I had to use a variable ND to afford filters on this damn thing. That obviously came with its own challenges. THEN...Canon released the 85mm f/1.4L IS USM and I couldn't move on quickly enough. It was optically a step back, but it was a 77mm filter and created some absolutely beautiful images.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Sounds like bull to me. What else would you expect a Sigma salesman to say?

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
needs a sigma RF 14-35 f4 or even 2.8 at half the price of canons.
Sigma has an excellent 14-24 f2.8 dg dn lens for Sony mirrorless. I assume, though I wouldn't presume to know, that it would not be too difficult to use an RF mount for that lens. For the Sony version, it is priced at US$1299, so there is indeed hope for a very competitively priced wide angle 3rd-party RF zoom lens

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0