Small white and purple dots - Canon R6?

Hello

Can anyone please explain to me what is wrong. Took a series of pictures today with this little dog.

Every second picture I took in fast shooting mode and animal eye detection mode you can see white and purple dots when zooming in the picture!

1. picture you see the dots. 2. picture no dots...
53818E78-EFEA-4B94-BADB-397AF48AE9F7.jpeg
4EC13017-68B4-4077-B4A1-2C8B77782F04.jpeg
Sorry for posting in wrong forum! Don’t know how to move it to the right place...
Best regards
Kim

Last edited:
My R6 is set up to shoot both RAW and JPEG.
I have seen the phenomenon in many of my pictures. Typically I have chosen series shots and with animal eye detection. Here the spots are seen in the same places and typically in every other picture in the series. I only discovered it yesterday. But by going back to a series I have shot of flying birds, the same phenomenon is seen. Very frustrating! I have not checked up the RAW files, but no editting, just straight put of the camera. I’ll check that later. I'll hand in my camera tomorrow for checking.
I will report back when I know more .... but I get a little nervous when I think that it is a brand new camera and where I have completely changed from another system where I never experienced errors of any kind ....
With best regards
Kim

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I'll hand in my camera tomorrow for checking.
I will report back when I know more .... but I get a little nervous when I think that it is a brand new camera and where I have completely changed from another system where I never experienced errors of any kind ....
It seems to be a defect. Letting it get checked by Canon (or just trading it for a new one by the seller) seems to be a good action to take.

Having a brand new product show issues is nothing to be concerned about. It is just part of what goes along with mass production of anything - you can't do full quality assessment of every single unit without increasing the cost accordingly.

Some faulty units slip through with basically every product type. Not having received any such unit when using a different manufacturer does not mean it is not happening with their products - just that you got lucky with your small sample size.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
There is some pattern in the location of the dots.

Have you tried with different memory cards?

I have now tested with different memory cards. It's the same pattern. In single shot mode there are no problems. In all continiues modes, the dots appear in every other image ....
Another observation:
Pictures without dots file size JPEG 4,4 MB
Pictures with dots file size JPEG 7,7 MB

no dot.JPG
dots.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
Before returning it, do a total camera reset and make sure you have the latest firmware. Its like a computer reboot, sometimes it clears up what seem to be hardware problems but are just a glitch in the software that is fixed with a reset.

I don't expect it to fix the issue, its something easy to do, and a good thing to do before shipping the camera to the manufacturer. Also remove any copywrite information or other owner related information. You will likely get a new mainboard and don't want your information going to the company that refurbishes the boards for Canon.

Upvote 0