SmallRig announces LP-E6NH battery for Canon, priced at $39.99 USD.

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I ordered a couple of these just now to add to our ongoing LP-E6 variant review (https://camnostic.com/2021/02/powering-the-eos-r5/). In terms of getting Green H+, it's very likely that these will achieve that. The question is for how long.

Canon's OEM batteries typically keep the green H+ capacity all the way through about 65 percent of battery use. We tested a couple dozen of them, and it was pretty consistent. Of the four non-Canon LP-e6NH batteries (those not reporting as NH cannot do green H+), they average about 25 percent of battery use before the green H+ capacity goes away. Interestingly, if you had a third party battery and a Canon battery in a battery grip together, green H+ would be available using both batteries all the way down to the level at which Canon's crapped out.
Thanks for all your testing. Bought some Neewer as they are so cheap (the Canon are 4x the price in the UK at £120). By using them as well, the original Canons will go through fewer cycles and last longer.

Upvote 0
I was so intrigued I ordered two batteries. The ability to charge via USB-C directly sounds very intriguing for me as I can just switch the battery, put it on power bank in my backpack or car and just keep on shooting :) And compared to the Canon LP-E6N it does offer a way higher capacity :) Oh, final thought: I like the blue color (my favorite) as it helps to immediately distinguish the batteries from the Canon LP-E6N´s I have.

Upvote 0
Aug 21, 2019
I'm interested in seeing what Tig and the Camnostic team find with these batteries. As Camnostic and other testers have demonstrated, no third party battery beats OEM in terms of power delivery (including H+), durability, and longevity. Even those cells which purport "more power", drop off the curve after a couple of cycles.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
I'm interested in seeing what Tig and the Camnostic team find with these batteries. As Camnostic and other testers have demonstrated, no third party battery beats OEM in terms of power delivery (including H+), durability, and longevity. Even those cells which purport "more power", drop off the curve after a couple of cycles
I agree. Third party batteries also have worse QC. Some are better than another and some are really bad. I've been opting for Wasabi for a while, and their 2 packs are cheaper than one OEM. They don't last longer but they've been pretty good for a backup. However, I recently noticed that one of LP-E17 doesn't hold charge. I've had it since the release of RP. I'm still debating whether to get one OEM or third party.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Been using Duracell LP-E6NH batteries along with Canon originals since January in both the R5 and R6MKII. They charge in the Canon charger and they last slightly longer than the Canon batteries. Had zero issues with them.
Only £45 for 2 or £67.50 for 4. That's 6+ for the price of 1 Canon.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
I ordered a couple of these just now to add to our ongoing LP-E6 variant review (https://camnostic.com/2021/02/powering-the-eos-r5/). In terms of getting Green H+, it's very likely that these will achieve that. The question is for how long.

Canon's OEM batteries typically keep the green H+ capacity all the way through about 65 percent of battery use. We tested a couple dozen of them, and it was pretty consistent. Of the four non-Canon LP-e6NH batteries (those not reporting as NH cannot do green H+), they average about 25 percent of battery use before the green H+ capacity goes away. Interestingly, if you had a third party battery and a Canon battery in a battery grip together, green H+ would be available using both batteries all the way down to the level at which Canon's crapped out.
That's good to know. I have only Canon OEM batteries right now for the R6. If you are a stingy with your power settings - I run mine in airplane mode, low speed view finder, rear screen off - you can get the green H+ a lot lower than 65%. I was down to about 13% at a soccer tournament and still getting it when the battery was pretty new. Mainly switched over to ES mode, so have not really re-tested now that the battery is older.

-Brian

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
True, if someone wants to hack it. The rubber grommet for the cord allows the door to close with a dummy battery. The grip has a tab that depresses the button. I've never understood someone who wants to use a screw, toothpick, tape or whatever to try and bypass the door.

The body has USB-C PD. You can't use both. So you want the battery door open or removed and a battery you can plug in to? So you can leave the door attached, but open or removed with the button taped or depressed?

This battery is not a power or charging solution. Wouldn't a USB-C PD or VMount be a better and more graceful option. The door open / off thing , open cavity or hack sounds like a bunch of unnecessary maneuvers. Sorry I'm not seeing the benefit. If you want to use a gimbal, just use a splitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0