SmallRig announces LP-E6NH battery for Canon, priced at $39.99 USD.

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
SmallRig has launched an LP-E6NH battery for Canon cameras. This new battery has some improvements over Canon’s OEM offerings. SmallRig’s battery 2400mah capacity, which is a bit more than Canon’s 2130mah. There is also a USB-C port on the battery for charging, which is a pretty nice feature. When using 5v 2.2A charging, the battery

See full article...

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
I think it has been posted here before — Patona offers fully decoded LP-E17 batteries (the ones with USB-C input however are not).
I've using their LP-E6NH in my R6 for some time now and cannot find any difference between those and the original Canon battery. The Patona LP-E6NH have a nominally higher capacity of 2250 mAh compared to the 2130 mAH of the original, but I have not done any 'scientific' tests comparing run times.

Edit: Here in Germany Amazon offers a double pack Patona LP-E6NH for €66,90

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
Usually, isn't a particular curve applied by the charger to the current which varies in dependency to the state of charge? I suppose, this wouldnt happen if one omits the charger and use a simple USB cable connected to a power source with a constant current like a computer's USB port or similar.
The battery will have a inbuilt charging circuit for the usb socket. Charging a lithium battery is fairly straight forward - current limited until the battery reaches it's design voltage then constant voltage. The current will then slowly drop as the internal resistance increase. Eventually the charger will cut of once the current has dropped to a low enough value.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
the EOS R doesn't accept LP-E6NH batteries.

?!?!? Are you sure? That's frankly impossible, the difference between E6, E6N and E6NH is just the mAh, the capacity/duration. I don't see any way in which the EOS R is not compatible with the new batteries.
The thing is some advanced functions of the new cameras cannot be carried out by old batteries because they won't provide enough peak power; but compatibility for normal use is always guaranteed in cameras with batteries of the same "family".

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Could be interesting, if you can still get Green H+ mode with them.

-Brian

I ordered a couple of these just now to add to our ongoing LP-E6 variant review (https://camnostic.com/2021/02/powering-the-eos-r5/). In terms of getting Green H+, it's very likely that these will achieve that. The question is for how long.

Canon's OEM batteries typically keep the green H+ capacity all the way through about 65 percent of battery use. We tested a couple dozen of them, and it was pretty consistent. Of the four non-Canon LP-e6NH batteries (those not reporting as NH cannot do green H+), they average about 25 percent of battery use before the green H+ capacity goes away. Interestingly, if you had a third party battery and a Canon battery in a battery grip together, green H+ would be available using both batteries all the way down to the level at which Canon's crapped out.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Yes, it does. I've used them in an R just fine. You just can't charge them in-camera:

View attachment 210072
?!?!? Are you sure? That's frankly impossible, the difference between E6, E6N and E6NH is just the mAh, the capacity/duration. I don't see any way in which the EOS R is not compatible with the new batteries.
The thing is some advanced functions of the new cameras cannot be carried out by old batteries because they won't provide enough peak power; but compatibility for normal use is always guaranteed in cameras with batteries of the same "family".
Well that's great news!!! I'm going state-side in August and I'll be getting a couple of these new patona batteries then :) thx for the info!!!

Canon Germany only has the LP-E6 and LP-E6N listed for the R, so does Amazon.de...
They probably don't list the LP-E6NH because people will complain it can't be charged in the camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0