SmallRig announces LP-E6NH battery for Canon, priced at $39.99 USD.

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I think this capability would be even better in lower capacity batteries, like the Canon LP-E17 or Sony NP-FW50. When my main camera was a Sony a6400, the OEM Sony battery was 1020 mAh, and I had two 1300 mAh Wasabi spares. I always took all three with me, along with a USB charger in my backpack so I could have the first one recharging from a power bank while I was using the second and third.

Now, with my R7, I don't feel I need this, even though I think it's a great idea. One fully charged LP-E6NH in the camera + one spare is more than enough for a full day of shooting at an air show (and I don't hold back on the shutter button either).

Upvote 0
SmallRig has launched an LP-E6NH battery for Canon cameras. This new battery has some improvements over Canon’s OEM offerings. SmallRig’s battery 2400mah capacity, which is a bit more than Canon’s 2130mah. There is also a USB-C port on the battery for charging, which is a pretty nice feature. When using 5v 2.2A charging, the battery

See full article...
I use weight as a judgment of how much capacity a battery holds. Beeing lighter then the original does not bode well for an advertised higher capacity.
WIhout an actual review I would assume it is 10% less than an original.
EDIT: Someone else already posted a similar sentiment

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I don't shoot high speed shutter very often, so wouldn't miss that. I haven't missed a shot because of a flat battery - I monitor battery state regularly anx always before a critical shot. I have come close to missing shots because of insufficient charged batteries. 20% less power means taking 5 Smallrig, rather than 4 Canon batteries, so this isn't an issue. Being able to charge via USB would be a positive. But having a dual charger (with a Smallrig kit) is a positive for charging multiple batteries at the end of a long day.
Pricing in New Zealand is interesting. The Smallrig USB battery is $68 (NZ), 2 standard Smallrig batteries plus dual charger is $88, and a Canon LP-E6NH is $170.
I have had good experience with my 3 Wasabi batteries, but need a couple more batteries for a 1 month trip to the subantarctic.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
Dustin Abbott reviewed the batteries here:

The review would have been much more useful if he had measured capacity - he just assumes that the 2400mAh means they have more capacity than Canon batteries. My experience with the non-USB version (2040 mAh) is that they are around 20% less than the Canon (2130 mAh - about 5% more) based on measured recharging. Still a worthwhile purchase.

Upvote 0