SmallRig announces LP-E6NH battery for Canon, priced at $39.99 USD.

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
If I've to save money on batteries I'll buy old E6/E6N used on eBay, you'll likely pay almost the same price of a third party one, but the originals are more reliable and will last waaaaaay longer ("will last longer" is intended both for single charge duration, and for reliability over the years).

On my R6 I use 6 batteries; two are new E6NH, two old E6N (purchased them with the 6D, so 2014, they're 9yo) and two even older E6 from the 5DII period (so I bought them in 2009 or 2010); I don't see any real difference in duration with the new E6NH, the E6/E6N have worst level of recharge performance as per the camera battery indicator, a single red dot, but still works flawlessly.
I recently got 1600/1700 shots per battery at a wedding with the R6 (in SINGLE DRIVE; 1fps...or 1fpp, 1 frame per push) with average 20% of power still left, using the 9yo E6N's (which also demonstrate that ML cameras doesn't "eat on batteries"; it's just people not knowing how to use cameras).

I really don't see why taking the risk of using Chinese sh*tty batteries, that last less and sometimes even expand and/or explode, to save 50/100€ on my 2500€ camera (make 3500€ for those who use an R5), it's plain stupid; it's like buying the last Porsche, AMG or BMW M, and fit them with cheap off-brand tyres to save money.

IMG_4061 copia.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If I've to save money on batteries I'll buy old E6/E6N used on eBay, you'll likely pay almost the same price of a third party one, but the originals are more reliable and will last waaaaaay longer ("will last longer" is intended both for single charge duration, and for reliability over the years).

On my R6 I use 6 batteries; two are new E6NH, two old E6N (purchased them with the 6D, so 2014, they're 9yo) and two even older E6 from the 5DII period (so I bought them in 2009 or 2010); I don't see any real difference in duration with the new E6NH, the E6/E6N have worst level of recharge performance as per the camera battery indicator, a single red dot, but still works flawlessly.
I recently got 1600/1700 shots per battery at a wedding with the R6 (in SINGLE DRIVE; 1fps...or 1fpp, 1 frame per push) with average 20% of power still left, using the 9yo E6N's (which also demonstrate that ML cameras doesn't "eat on batteries"; it's just people not knowing how to use cameras).

I really don't see why taking the risk of using Chinese sh*tty batteries, that last less and sometimes even expand and/or explode, to save 50/100€ on my 2500€ camera (make 3500€ for those who use an R5), it's plain stupid; it's like buying the last Porsche, AMG or BMW M, and fit them with cheap off-brand tyres to save money.

View attachment 210085
I bought two LP-E6N on eBay for 10 € and for 15 € :) Got lucky here :)
Although I haven't used third party batteries in a long time (last time 2017 with several blue maxx) I ordered two this time. As replacement for a LP-E6NH even the 3. party one should have longer cycles than my LP-E6N. Plus, it is a trust thing. I have or have had several small rig products and they were all reliable and the quality is great. If they do the same with batteries now, I'll be happy. It is worth a shot.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
I've only been using 3rd party batts for about 20 yrs. Watson brand the last 6 or so. They've been good to me. The very first one started showing signs of decreased capacity at about the 5 yr mark. I wasn't trying to save money. It was an availability thing. I had to do it again when I purchased my R5 C. I was going on a trip and OEM's were scarce. Those have been good too. Except for batteries, I really don't use 3rd party gear any longer. My lenses, etc are all Canon. The experience has been consistent and reliable. As long as the SR batt can charge in the camera or grip, I may try one out of curiosity.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I meant by using USB-C PD, not by trying to connect a USB-C cable to the battery when it's in the body. My Hahnel batteries won't charge via USB-C PD.
Gotcha... I misunderstood. Thought it was an odd ask at first... but I guess I was taken back by the usb connector on the battery, that's where my mind went.

Upvote 0
I think the Smallrig battery is likely the same product as this (or a Chinese copy thereof): https://mathorn.com/ultimate-batteries/mb-202/ from Poland. I've been using the slightly older Mathorn type: https://mathorn.com/standard-batteries/mb-201/ for nearly half a year now and it's a good product. Being able to charge it via USB-C is convenient when travelling because with a dual USB adapter to mains, a (USB powered) JJC dual charger for two 'ordinary' batteries and a USB-C cable connected to the Mathorn battery - that allows for simultaneous charging of three batteries at the same time with minimal charging hardware to carry along.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2012
I think the Smallrig battery is likely the same product as this (or a Chinese copy thereof): https://mathorn.com/ultimate-batteries/mb-202/ from Poland. I've been using the slightly older Mathorn type: https://mathorn.com/standard-batteries/mb-201/ for nearly half a year now and it's a good product. Being able to charge it via USB-C is convenient when travelling because with a dual USB adapter to mains, a (USB powered) JJC dual charger for two 'ordinary' batteries and a USB-C cable connected to the Mathorn battery - that allows for simultaneous charging of three batteries at the same time with minimal charging hardware to carry along.
The link to the Mathorn site included the following comment: " It is also advisable to consider charging the battery via the USB-C port instead of using the simplest chargers which are not equipped with appropriate protections."
How would you know which chargers have these protections?

Upvote 0

Eagle Eye

Recovering Full-Framer
CR Pro
Jul 5, 2011
Virginia
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The link to the Mathorn site included the following comment: " It is also advisable to consider charging the battery via the USB-C port instead of using the simplest chargers which are not equipped with appropriate protections."
How would you know which chargers have these protections?
Unfortunately, the cheap chargers can be dangerous and are best avoided as you don't know what their safety features are. USB-C chargers, on the other hand, should be much safer because they interact with what they are charging to deliver the correct current. I bought 3 Neewers that come with a 3-place cradle with a USB-C socket input so I can charge them simultaneously with my 45 watt USB-C Apple MacBook charger.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
The Canon LP-E6NH doesn't only improve upon the total mAh capacity of the LP-E6N (2130 vs 1865 mAh), it can also provide greater "on-demand" current. This lets the camera maintain its maximum frame rate in H+ mode longer, and it enables newer lenses (those that can utilize the additional current) to focus faster.

Other batteries advertising similar or higher capacity *might* be able to match the Canon battery's performance when fully charged, but it will decrease faster as they discharge. Just something to be aware of if these factors are important to your photography.

Source: After the R5 and R6 were released, my local pro camera store (Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA) had a couple of regional Canon reps in to talk about the new cameras and capabilities, and they spoke about the LP-E6NH battery differences too (it was webcast because it was during the pandemic).

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The Canon LP-E6NH doesn't only improve upon the total mAh capacity of the LP-E6N (2130 vs 1865 mAh), it can also provide greater "on-demand" current. This lets the camera maintain its maximum frame rate in H+ mode longer, and it enables newer lenses (those that can utilize the additional current) to focus faster.

Other batteries advertising similar or higher capacity *might* be able to match the Canon battery's performance when fully charged, but it will decrease faster as they discharge. Just something to be aware of if these factors are important to your photography.

Source: After the R5 and R6 were released, my local pro camera store (Ace Photo in Ashburn, VA) had a couple of regional Canon reps in to talk about the new cameras and capabilities, and they spoke about the LP-E6NH battery differences too (it was webcast because it was during the pandemic).
I can well believe that the higher discharge rate of the LP-E6NH could lead to faster AF but do you have any other source for this information and what lenses will focus faster? I can't find anything googling.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
I can well believe that the higher discharge rate of the LP-E6NH could lead to faster AF but do you have any other source for this information and what lenses will focus faster? I can't find anything googling.
No and no. :) The presentation was given by a regional Canon Tech Rep named Heather Krut. She mentioned this when talking about the new LP-E6NH battery.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
No and no. :) The presentation was given by a regional Canon Tech Rep named Heather Krut. She mentioned this when talking about the new LP-E6NH battery.
OK, I asked ChatGPT. Here are the questions and answers. ChatGPT does hallucinate and get things wrong, so don't take it as gospel.

Me: Does the Canon LP-E6NH battery allow faster shooting on the Canon EOS R5 than does the LP-E6?

ChatGPT: Yes, the Canon LP-E6NH battery does allow for faster shooting on the Canon EOS R5 compared to the LP-E6 battery. The LP-E6NH battery is an upgraded version of the LP-E6, specifically designed for select Canon cameras, including the EOS R5. It offers higher capacity and improved performance, allowing for longer continuous shooting and extended battery life.

The LP-E6NH battery has a capacity of 2130mAh, whereas the LP-E6 battery has a capacity of 1800mAh. The increased capacity of the LP-E6NH provides more power to the camera, enabling it to handle higher shooting speeds and longer shooting durations without needing to change or recharge the battery as frequently.

With the LP-E6NH battery, the Canon EOS R5 can achieve faster continuous shooting rates and more efficient overall performance compared to when using the LP-E6 battery. This is particularly beneficial for photographers who require rapid-fire shooting or extended sessions without interruptions.

Me: Does the Canon LP-E6NH battery allow faster focussing on the Canon EOS R5 than does the LP-E6?

ChatGPT: No, the Canon LP-E6NH battery does not directly affect the focusing speed of the Canon EOS R5 camera. The focusing performance of the camera is primarily determined by the autofocus system, lens capabilities, and the camera's processing power.

The LP-E6NH battery is primarily designed to provide higher capacity and longer battery life compared to the LP-E6 battery. It provides more power to the camera, enabling extended shooting sessions without needing to change or recharge the battery frequently.

To improve focusing speed on the Canon EOS R5, you should consider factors such as the lens used, the autofocus settings, and the shooting conditions. Using lenses with fast and accurate autofocus capabilities, selecting appropriate autofocus modes, and ensuring proper lighting conditions can all contribute to faster and more accurate focusing performance. Upgrading to a newer camera model with improved autofocus technology may also provide enhancements in focusing speed.

Upvote 0
I am curious if anyone has tried the NEEWER LP-E6NH R6 II Rechargeable Canon Camera Battery? It appears to be the same battery as the one being discussed above, as it has the same physical characteristics. Not to mention that it looks like it can be had for about $25 each. I would love to hear anyone with first hand experience?!

Here is a link to the NEEWER page for the battery: https://neewer.com/collections/cano...s/neewer-rechargeable-camera-battery-66602136

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the cheap chargers can be dangerous and are best avoided as you don't know what their safety features are. USB-C chargers, on the other hand, should be much safer because they interact with what they are charging to deliver the correct current. I bought 3 Neewers that come with a 3-place cradle with a USB-C socket input so I can charge them simultaneously with my 45 watt USB-C Apple MacBook charger.
I was actually looking at the same charger - I need a USB-C driven charger to be able to recharge some batteries from a powerbank while hiking so I'm very much in the market. How has it been?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I was actually looking at the same charger - I need a USB-C driven charger to be able to recharge some batteries from a powerbank while hiking so I'm very much in the market. How has it been?
I needed the Apple 45 watt charger to charge 3 simultaneously, the two-output 35 watt that came with my MacBook Air would do only 2 simultaneously.

Upvote 0
I needed the Apple 45 watt charger to charge 3 simultaneously, the two-output 35 watt that came with my MacBook Air would do only 2 simultaneously.
No issues charging original Canon batteries? I just need something that will use usb c so I don’t need to rig something up to get the regular charger working with a usb c power bank.

Upvote 0