Some Conflicting EOS-1D X Mark II Specifications [CR2]

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
geonix said:
I don't know what all these complaints are about.

First FF DPAF Sensor??
All AF Points working at a max aperture of f8??
4k Video with 60p (maybe for more than 3 min.) ??
Improved DR (that some people already know it will be still worse than others is just nonserious)
GPS and wifi (finally)

20MP instead of of 22 - well thats not much of a difference to me.

IF it really will have "only" 61 AFpoints, that would be the only slightly disappointing news. But lets wait for the official announcement.

Thank you. Exactly. Here's my comment on another site:

We don't have anywhere close to all the facts yet on this. No metering info for starters. And the rest of what has been mentioned from digi-came isn't necessarily 100% accurate.

For example, this claims another 61pt AF system. The 7D2 however used a brand new 65pt AF all cross type. Now the claim is the 1DX2 uses all user selectable points that are all fully active with f8 maximum capable lenses. That's a 400L f5.6 with a 1.4x teleconvertor on it. Or A 400L, 600L, etc f4 with a 2x. That's pretty huge for the people who really use this camera. That's a great upgrade. But I still wonder about the 61 figure when Canon already has 65 elsewhere. There were also a lot of rumors about far more AF points than 61 from several sources previously. So again, I'm taking this list with a grain of salt and waiting to hear the official, COMPLETE spec unveiling on Monday before I get all riled up over what could just as well be wrong in at least some areas.

Upvote 0
I can not see any feature of 1DX Mark II that is less than the Nikon D5.

153 AF points? I prefer less AF points, but cross-type.
ISO 3 million? I care about ISO51000, perfectly usable.
4K limited to three minutes? I would want longer recording time, with superior codec.

Someone found a real weakness, which makes 1DX Mark ii a lower camera?

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
ajfotofilmagem said:
153 AF points? I prefer less AF points, but cross-type.
ISO 3 million? I care about ISO51000, perfectly usable.
Someone found a real weakness, which makes 1DX Mark ii a lower camera?

Apart from none of what digi-came has shared is yet confirmed by an official release, "YES" to everything you said. The D5 specs look so lovely on paper until you start digging in further. I'd rather (IF this is true) 61 higher accuracy & high precision, user-selectable, ALL cross type (and you know many of them will be DUAL Cross) AF points rather than 55 user selectable (of the 153 total) with only some as cross type and zero as dual cross.

We know nothing of ISO performance or how they have tweaked the DPAF for this flagship. Give me 12800 that looks like 6400 on the 1DX with even faster and more reliable AF with more ability to pull shadows with lower noise and that's a big win. That's why people use this camera

Upvote 0
Sep 12, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
kevl said:
Being able to enable or disable the AA filter is a great idea. Especially since Canon puts AA filters in and then defeats them with software anyway.

Hobbul bobbal schnarffle zurp! IOW, WTF?!?

kevl said:
It is the 5D & 70D Canon customers who are switching to Nikon. That's where Canon can't afford an evolutionary product this year.

Anecdotes ≠ data. The most recently available data show Canon gaining market share and Nikon losing it.

You must be new to the internet.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
kevl said:
neuroanatomist said:
kevl said:
Being able to enable or disable the AA filter is a great idea. Especially since Canon puts AA filters in and then defeats them with software anyway.

kevl said:
It is the 5D & 70D Canon customers who are switching to Nikon. That's where Canon can't afford an evolutionary product this year.

Anecdotes ≠ data. The most recently available data show Canon gaining market share and Nikon losing it.

agreed....
one second hand anecdote trumps 10 years of data from multiple sources.... for some people :)

Upvote 0
Digicame has updated their link with more info.

20.2MP CMOS sensor with dynamic range improvement

•Dual pixel CMOS AF
•ISO: 100-51200 (expanded in 409600)
•61-point AF system, expanded range, 41-point cross-type, all of the distance measuring points can be selected
•At f/8, 61 points can be selected
•AF is -3EV
•360000 dot photometric sensor. EOS iSA. EOS iTR
•0.76 times the viewfinder magnification. 100% field of view
•Improved AI AF accuracy and motion tracking Servo AF III +
•Dual DIGIC6 + processor
•New mirror drive system that enables high-speed continuous shooting
•Video 4K 60fps. Full HD120fps, 4K video can be recorded in internal CFast2.0 media
•Movie servo AF
•Continuous shooting up to14 fps, 16 fps in live view mode
•Continuous shooting in RAW: 170 frames (at 16 frames / sec.), unlimited in JPEG
•Dual pixel CMOS AF, enables smooth AF with 4K video
•LCD monitor 3.2 inches, 1.62 million dots. Touch panel.
•Camera digital lens Optimizer (DLO), lens aberration correction, diffraction correction
•CFast2.0 and compact flash slots
•GPS built-in
•USB3.0 terminal, HDMI terminal
•Dust and water resistant
•Wi-Fi option (WFT-E8)
•Dimensions: 158mm x 167.6mm x 82.6mm
•Weight: 1340g

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Don Haines said:
kevl said:
neuroanatomist said:
kevl said:

kevl said:

agreed....
one second hand anecdote trumps 10 years of data from multiple sources.... for some people :)

Yeah, my bad. Engaging a witless post wasn't a good idea.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
kevl said:
neuroanatomist said:
kevl said:

kevl said:

agreed....

Yeah, my bad. Engaging a witless post wasn't a good idea.
+1 :) :) :)

Attachments

• duty_calls.png
    duty_calls.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 962
Upvote 0

RGF

How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
Jul 13, 2012
neuroanatomist said:

Very true. Correlation is not causality. However anecdotes win elections. Many people either can not or do not think.

Overall camera specs look very nice. Only wish resolution was 20% higher. Perhaps with the Mark III.Wonder much DR improvement there will be.

Upvote 0

justaCanonuser

Grab your camera, go out and shoot!
Feb 12, 2014
Frankfurt, Germany
neuroanatomist said:
kevl said:

Maybe because in real world it is a pleasure to use Canon cameras and lenses? Even Ming Thein, a Nikon user, had to admit that Canon's ergonomics is great. Plus: out-of-the-camera colors are pleasing. Isn't that already 80 % of what you can expect from a good photographic tool? DR matters, but colors much more. Everyone having access to Nikon gear like me knows exactly what Ming Thein means with "pleasing colors", you always have to post-process Nikon files to get a good look. So for me it is still a pleasure just to grab a good Canon DSLR, walk out and shoot. It just falls perfectly into your hands and does its job without interfering you much. That - plus some gorgeous lenses - keeps me sticking with Canon's system. But they really have to come up with competitive sensor & electronics technology in their cameras or they'll lose the battle in this tight market in the long run.

Upvote 0
Really hoping the need for a $600 wifi attachment is not needed. I hate having to write to a slow eyefi card to send to my phone to file for tight deadlines. Pros need wifi now more than ever.

Then there's this. That's my very expensive 1DX and 70-200 propping up my muuuuch cheaper Fuji X-E2 to catch a ground squirrel via wifi control on my iPhone.

Attachments

• fort.jpg
    fort.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 205
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
kentsievers said:
Really hoping the need for a $600 wifi attachment is not needed. I hate having to write to a slow eyefi card to send to my phone to file for tight deadlines. Pros need wifi now more than ever.

Then there's this. That's my very expensive 1DX and 70-200 propping up my muuuuch cheaper Fuji X-E2 to catch a ground squirrel via wifi control on my iPhone.

Just get a CamRanger, much better than the EyeFi and the Canon WFT's.

Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
dilbert said:
4K limited to three minutes? I would want longer recording time, with superior codec.

Nikon have already fixed that problem.

Have they really? I don't follow closely cameras I'm not in the market for, but it seems very un-Nikon like to fix a problem between announcement and release dates. Typically they'd just wait a while, not acknowledging, and release a new camera.

Good for them.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
ajfotofilmagem said:

Nikon have already fixed that problem.

Have they? Are you sure?!

From NikonRumours is states:

[quote author=nikonrumors]The Nikon D5 can only shoot 3 minutes of 4k video while the D500 can shoot 4k for 30 minutes (see this and this post for more details). I received a tip that Nikon will release a firmware update after shipping starts in March that will increase the 4k recording limit of the D5 to 30 minutes. This info is coming from a Nikon rep at one of the recent D5 events, so take it with a grain of salt.

Update: the 30 min 4k video in the D5 will probably be achieved by recording 10 sequential files @ 3 minutes each.[/quote]

I don't call that fixed!

http://nikonrumors.com/2016/01/21/rumors-nikon-d5-firmware-update-to-extend-the-4k-video-recording-limit-to-30-minutes.aspx/

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Depends on your perspective.

If not a frame is missing, does it matter if it is 10 files or 1 file?

The video that comes out of the camera is not what you give to others any more than a CR2 file is. Good video editing software will make this problem go away. And it may make the video editing software easier - no loading in of multi-gigabyte video files.

However, what this does mean is that it isn't a speed or throughput problem with the D5 - it is a software problem.

Thus I would expect to see this properly resolved within a year if it is truly perceived to be a problem by D5 owners.

How much video do you work with, Dilbert? I don't think very much from your reply - and I do not mean that negatively or nastily, it just sounds like you do not have much experience with video making.

I do a lot, and yes it makes a difference if there is one file or ten. And no it won't make it easier in production. And loading one or two multi-GB files takes absolutely no time at all.

There is no way, I would ever work with such a system - it would be a nightmare.

And Dilbert, this is a major feature of Nikon's flasgship. This mistake should never have happened. You should not need to download a firmware update the day after buying a US$ 5,000 camera which only solves the problem on paper and not in real life usage.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
expatinasia said:
How much video do you work with, Dilbert? I don't think very much from your reply - and I do not mean that negatively or nastily, it just sounds like you do not have much experience with video making.

Oh, dilbert has vast experience with everything. Vast experience with sports photography (which is why he thinks there's no point in capturing the ball in the image). Vast experience with broadcast TV equipment (which is why he thinks box lenses are cameras). Vast experience with cameras (which is why he stated the 1D C isn't a dSLR). Vast experience with rumors (which is why he believes they're facts even when the source says take it with a grain of salt).

Of course, vast experience in dilbertland doesn't count for a hill o' beans out here in the real world.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
Depends on your perspective.

If not a frame is missing, does it matter if it is 10 files or 1 file?

Of course it matters. It's like trying to ask if you wouldn't mind if your picture came out in 10 pieces and you had to stitch them together in Photoshop.

It's terrible.

I use Video Studio X8, and you can just drop files in there. But you ideally want as little individual files as possible.

If you want to apply an effect, you want to apply it on the whole video, not just individual pieces of video.

So people who will shoot video with those Nikons in 4k, will need to first stitch the video together, which:

A: takes a lot of time
B: can cause problems during rendering
C: always has the potential to degrades the quality or alter the colors to some extent, even in lossless formats

Having to deal with many different individual files is a nightmare.

Here is an example. I want to apply an effect to my video, but it's made up of 2 parts.

You can only apply it evenly across one part, you can see I can only add the effect to one video file at the time, because video software perceives it as individual files.

With complex effects, you need to copy the effect over exactly with the same settings twice. Or start stitching the video together.

Imagine doing that for 10 pieces of 3 minute video. It would be a nightmare.

1z6fhco.jpg

Upvote 0
I was under the impression that this wasn't so difficult..

Stitching video together is always high risk. Files contain headers, color data, often compression, you want to avoid it as much as possible. I'm not a professional videographer, I just make some youtube videos, but almost all the issues I have experienced with video happen during stitching and rendering.

Just rendering in a different format almost always causes color changes. if you turn a .mov file into MP4 for example, I can use 3 programs for it, handbrake, vegas or video studio, all 3 have very slightly different colors.

You want to avoid changing files, having to stitch files together, as much as humanly possible.

Upvote 0
dilbert said:
I have trouble imagining why there should be any loss of quality or color.

To go to an extreme, if you look at what ML did for raw video, the video is just a ZIP file containing multiple raw DNG files (which is really just one way of implementing Adobe's CinemaDNG.)

Many people nowadays shoot in MP4 container with H.264 as the codec. I always shoot like that, I like MP4 straight out of the camera, it's smaller files and it takes up far less space. It's a compressed format. Stitching files together requires rerendering multiple times.

It's similar to saving a JPEG multiple times, it degrades the quality.

In theory...in theory..a lossless format might be stitched without any loss of quality, but like I said, each program interprets video differently, just like each program interprets RAW files differently. There are differences in color.

And again, how many DSLR actually shoot video lossless? .mov, .avi and mp4 output all use h.264 compression.

Super expensive Arri and Red cameras shoot lossless, I don't know of any DLSR that does.

Upvote 0