The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp, confirmed by EXIF data

Jan 29, 2011
The former French president wanted even a tax on emails !
No, it isn't a joke...
I’d fully support a tax on bulk emails. If it cost companies (and politicians) money to send out millions upon millions of emails maybe they’d actually unsubscribe you when you asked rather than simply sell your email to other similar companies and politicians.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

emailfortom

Full time sports shooter
CR Pro
Mar 17, 2014
East Coast US
But the R5 battery grip gives you two batteries!
A single battery offers a significant advantage. Try changing the batteries in the R5 and R3... "quickly", and you will see the value of the LP-E19. Replacing or swapping out the two LP-E6NH from the battery grip's sled is a pain in the ass if you're trying to do it quickly, in the field. I reached out to Canon to see if I could purchase another battery grip sled, but they don't offer it for sale.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I’d fully support a tax on batch emails. If it cost companies (and politicians) money to send out millions upon millions of emails maybe they’d actually unsubscribe you when you asked rather than simply sell your email to other similar companies and politicians.
He meant also private emails...

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
A single battery offers a significant advantage. Try changing the batteries in the R5 and R3... "quickly", and you will see the value of the LP-E19. Replacing or swapping out the two LP-E6NH from the battery grip's sled is a pain in the ass if you're trying to do it quickly, in the field. I reached out to Canon to see if I could purchase another battery grip sled, but they don't offer it for sale.
I never checked, but I'm kind of surprised. I used to buy extra battery "sleds" (interesting phrase, never heard it, but it fits) for my Canon speedlite battery packs. That way, if I needed to change the batteries mid-shoot, I could just slide an extra pack in, rather than changing out multiple batteries. It would be handy to do that with battery packs for the grips.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I’d fully support a tax on batch emails. If it cost companies (and politicians) money to send out millions upon millions of emails maybe they’d actually unsubscribe you when you asked rather than simply sell your email to other similar companies and politicians.
Something I didn't realize until recently and still not sure I understand, is that emails actually contribute to global warming. So, I would not be surprised to see some sort of energy tax in the future. I make no claims regarding the accuracy of this article and it is just one example I found, but it is interesting nonetheless.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

sandhar

Birds, Places, Humans, Landscapes
Jun 2, 2021
sandharphotography.com
With over 600+ comments on the rumored 24 Mp R3, it's like reading a great mystery novel. I think I've read all of the threads and sub-threads but here is my guess and 2 cents, based upon clues mentioned earlier throughout. The comment(rumor) that talked about the new R3 providing high resolution but with a trick suggests to me that even though the new R3 may only have a 24 MP sensor,, canon maybe holding back on announcing that they will have a "pixel shift" mode that would provide a higher resolution picture! Other clues I'm taking into consideration: 1.) New form of IBIS(sensor shift for accomplishment of pixel shift?)
Anyway, can't wait for the official release!
Cheers

this is a complete swag .. but is it possible that the DPAF sub-pixels, instead of being combined into a single R, G or B value - actually get retained as R1, R2, G1, G2, B1, B2 .. and there is a post processing "resolution trick" to take advantage of this subtle difference in light capture of all the surrounding sub-pixels and create a new image with higher resolution ?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
this is a complete swag .. but is it possible that the DPAF sub-pixels, instead of being combined into a single R, G or B value - actually get retained as R1, R2, G1, G2, B1, B2 .. and there is a post processing "resolution trick" to take advantage of this subtle difference in light capture of all the surrounding sub-pixels and create a new image with higher resolution ?
Higher resolution in only one dimension. So if it’s 24 MP, that trick would change your 6000x4000 image to 12000x4000.

Upvote 0
I wonder if this trick is possible. As far as I understand the DPAF the two images from the sub pixel are thealmost the same, but shifted for the out of focus parts. So if the whole images is in focus the two images should be the identical. If my understanding of the DPAF is approximately right, it cannot really prove the resulution...

However, canon could put different colorfilter in front of the sup pixel, which would double the color information and probable improve the debayer process.

Upvote 0

NKD

Nov 26, 2018
Possibly, already covered.
Apparently Nikon had their pro body testing w/ variants of sensors from ~40 - 60mp within their bodies.
Still hopeful Canon's ~24 MP sensor was input just for Olympics to meet demand in time, as a speed burst shooter.
Seems the R5 is best suited as a second body for non-action shots.

Love the design
Would buy if this was at least 30mp+.

Otherwise hold tight for the 5dSr replacement
Hope this has a built in grip, just like the R3 & not a tack on battery grip.

Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
I never checked, but I'm kind of surprised. I used to buy extra battery "sleds" (interesting phrase, never heard it, but it fits) for my Canon speedlite battery packs. That way, if I needed to change the batteries mid-shoot, I could just slide an extra pack in, rather than changing out multiple batteries. It would be handy to do that with battery packs for the grips.
“Sled” is a good term. I’d suggest “magazine” as well. And I suggest contacting Canon to see what they charge for a replacement when reporting “mine broke”. As I presume they do.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
... Still hopeful Canon's ~24 MP sensor was input just for Olympics to meet demand in time, as a speed burst shooter.
Seems the R5 is best suited as a second body for non-action shots...
I don't want to pick on you since you are "new here." But, this talk about Canon putting a different sensor in for the Olympics...limiting the resolution available to Olympic photographers...testing the sensor at the Olympics before making a final decision...manipulating the EXIF data...etc. etc., is just fantasy land.

It is far too late to be making any changes in the camera, especially something major like sensor resolution. Canon is not going to do anything funky to the camera before handing it out to Olympic photographers. One of the main purposes of making it available is to compile a nice selection of photos that Canon can use in marketing the camera. That means, what the camera is today is what it will be when it is released. The only thing that's going to change would be if the users found some issue that required a firmware adjustment.

Also, in what world would the R5 be "best suited as a second body for non-action shots." Take 30 seconds and google the R5 then take a look at the dozens of videos from photographers using the R5 to capture birds in flight.

Upvote 0
I don't want to pick on you since you are "new here." But, this talk about Canon putting a different sensor in for the Olympics...limiting the resolution available to Olympic photographers...testing the sensor at the Olympics before making a final decision...manipulating the EXIF data...etc. etc., is just fantasy land.

It is far too late to be making any changes in the camera, especially something major like sensor resolution. Canon is not going to do anything funky to the camera before handing it out to Olympic photographers. One of the main purposes of making it available is to compile a nice selection of photos that Canon can use in marketing the camera. That means, what the camera is today is what it will be when it is released. The only thing that's going to change would be if the users found some issue that required a firmware adjustment.

Also, in what world would the R5 be "best suited as a second body for non-action shots." Take 30 seconds and google the R5 then take a look at the dozens of videos from photographers using the R5 to capture birds in flight.
A high resolution BSI sensor that hardware scales to two smaller sizes is possible. Firmware to fully support the higher resolutions (heat management issues for example) may not be finished, so a scenario where Canon locks the resolution to the lowest setting is within the realm of possibility. Unlikely. But possible.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Something I didn't realize until recently and still not sure I understand, is that emails actually contribute to global warming. So, I would not be surprised to see some sort of energy tax in the future. I make no claims regarding the accuracy of this article and it is just one example I found, but it is interesting nonetheless.
Every post you make here adds to global warming. So, there is one way you can make your personal contribution to saving the planet…

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

tapanit

CR Pro
Jul 17, 2012

Without any inside information on Canon's logistics, I tend to believe it's already too late to make even firmware changes, if they're going to announce it in September and have it actually available soon after that. An updated firmware could be published and made downloadable at the same time, but by now there must already be cameras in boxes waiting to be shipped and their firmware obviously cannot be changed any more.

I also agree that the camera in the hands of testers now must have essentially final firmware. I can just barely imagine Canon doing a custom tester firmware with no other changes than fake exif data for the resolution, but even that is really stretching it.

So I guess the resolution is indeed 6000x4000 pixels. Which presumably means 4K video will be cropped, 1.04x with oversampling from 5760 pixel width (6K) or 1.56x raw.

I must, however, admit a small voice in my head telling me that those exif reports are apparently only based on a chrome plugin, which may not be reliable...

Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
Maybe it is so low because Canon are trying to evade some new tax on megapixels :oops: :p
The EU already had a tax on video cameras that can shoot longer than 29 minutes and 59 seconds. So a megapixel tax might not be unthinkable, because with a lot of megapixels you can make a high quality copy of documents and prints and of course copy machines are taxed.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The EU already had a tax on video cameras that can shoot longer than 29 minutes and 59 seconds. So a megapixel tax might not be unthinkable, because with a lot of megapixels you can make a high quality copy of documents and prints and of course copy machines are taxed.
You are joking right? Because taxes already apply plus document copies can be made with flatbed scanners much easier and cheaper.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Relax, it was a joke. You seem to think taxes just exist to annoy people.

There will not be a megapixel tax, as there is no need to incentivize people to shoot with lower resolutions. As was already pointed out, multiplying documents can be done a whole lot easier than with cameras.

Just as there is no point anymore in the recording length tax, which is why it also does not exist anymore. As far as I know, it came from the time when camcorders could be used to easily record and copy movies and TV, which certain lobbying groups have an interest in discouraging.

As for the rain water, as far as I'm aware that is a control tax to discourage people from sealing all their property and thereby increase the public cost of canalization.

The market is poor at accounting for public or long term cost, hence taxes exist to at least partially discourage certain behaviors without banning them.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0