The rest of 2019 for Canon will be about updating dated product lines [CR2]

Canon is finished. Dead. Sony will release a beast in a few month, Apple will release a new iphone with 2x better low light capabilities and insane image computing, and by 2022 Canon will realize they actually need to do something that looks like a professional product. We’re in a world today where we talk Iphone 100MP when canon is releasing the RP without 24 frames per second. They diserve their losses

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Canon is finished. Dead. Sony will release a beast in a few month, Apple will release a new iphone with 2x better low light capabilities and insane image computing, and by 2022 Canon will realize they actually need to do something that looks like a professional product. We’re in a world today where we talk Iphone 100MP when canon is releasing the RP without 24 frames per second. They diserve their losses

YAWN

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Don’t have a Harry fit!

In the real world, your photography is limited by the amount of light you gather. To go with more pixels in an area means that you have less photons hitting the sensor, and that means less dynamic range.

At base ISO, you need 2^14 pixels [EDIT] photons! I typed the wrong word![/EDIT]to get your 14 stops of DR. With the same scene, double the amount of pixels and that means dropping a stop of DR. You can go for bigger glass, but most of us are at the limit of what one can afford and/or the limits of what optics can achieve so unless you are shooting with a garbage lens, that option is out. You can double your exposure time, but that does not work when there is motion...

So, 100MP cell phones will never give you the results of a real camera because they do not gather enough light. You have to obey the laws of physics and mathematics, and no amount of marketing hype will change that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
YAPODFC :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
At base ISO, you need 2^14 pixels to get your 14 stops of DR. With the same scene, double the amount of pixels and that means dropping a stop of DR.

You sure you understand how it works? 2^14 pixels = 16384, it's a picture of 128x128 pixels.
I suspect you're mixing up pixels and bits.

Upvote 0
Not terribly surprised, coupled with CEO Fujio Mitarai's statement regarding their view of the market in the next couple of years. I am waiting on the M5 II (or whatever replaces it) but I've thought about what would make me buy it and frankly there's not a lot other than IBIS or BSI or a variable angle screen that are just must-haves (and even I might need two of those must-haves to reasonably think of paying full price). Mind you I'm talking realistic upgrades, not pie-in-the-sky BS. But that's the world makers and buyers are in - unless there's a breakthrough or they decide to make good with Kasey of Camera Conspiracies, Tony & Chelsea and everyone one of us and deliver a friggin' camera with all of the options that should be on a camera.... there's not a whole lot that's really, really compelling to pay full price. The environment around photography is changing rapidly while the technology is stagnating. The makers are likely going to sit back and ponder their moves towards profitability. And that might mean waiting for the world to figure out if still cameras have major seat at the table or become a 2nd tier citizen to some form of video cams or other media equipment or smartphones simply eat the marketplace.

That's why I think the next EOS R Pro won't be a revolutionary product. It will have realistic upgrades and take a longer time for a 5D IV replacement. They are trying to reduce as much R&D in their camera body on a dying market especially if they know it's harder to recoup those cost with less sales. This probably why they use used 5D IV sensor in their EOS R and 6D II in their EOS R.

Their main attraction will be their lenses and the ecosystem. The product cycle will be longer.

Canon market position mean it's harder for them to deliver great video option in FF mirrorless since they have cinema line and DSLR they are not ready to cannibalize yet. The competitions will continue to deliver better and more compelling camera system.

In regard to must have. We have everything we need for a while. Now it's only wants - IBIS, better eyeAF, animal tracking, object tracking, global shutter, newer sensor with deep well with great dynamic range.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
You sure you understand how it works? 2^14 pixels = 16384, it's a picture of 128x128 pixels.
I suspect you're mixing up pixels and bits.
Nope.... with a perfect sensor, 100% efficiency and no read noise, it would take 2^14 photons to produce 2^14 electrons, and that translates to 14 stops of DR. If the pixel was only half the size, then it would only be hit with 2^13 photons, so then you have 2^13 electrons and 13 stops of DR.

If you want that smaller pixel to get hit with more light, you need more light, and that means either bigger glass, more time, or turn up the lights..... all of which change the scene...

Upvote 0

Tom W

EOS R5
Sep 5, 2012
If they do something new in terms of sensor with the 80D, it will work its way into the M series pretty soon after.

I think any changes in the M will be refinement of the product more than a huge jump in any one area. Better AF, faster operation, shorter blackout when shooting full auto, perhaps a fully-rotating rear screen, that kind of thing. maybe even a little better battery life. :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The competitions will continue to deliver better and more compelling camera system.
You have some valid points, but not this one. “Better and more compelling,” is a matter of opinion. For one thing, I guarantee that many people will find the EOS RP compelling — it’s the least expensive current-model FF camera on the market.

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Jun 4, 2012
Canada
Neuro, normally you are right, but this time you are wrong. Phones are going to completely replace DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. I have already given up on them for bird photography and the reason is easy to see. Just look at the following pictures!

Chickadee in tree!

Hairy woodpecker at feeder

Bald eagle in flight

• Haha
Reactions: 19 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Neuro, normally you are right, but this time you are wrong. Phones are going to completely replace DSLR and Mirrorless cameras. I have already given up on them for bird photography and the reason is easy to see. Just look at the following pictures!

Chickadee in tree!
View attachment 183644

Hairy woodpecker at feeder
View attachment 183645

Bald eagle in flight
View attachment 183646
Lovely pics, Don. It’s clear that your phone camera has superior animal eyeAF. I capitulate — Canon is, indeed, doomed.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
I'm curious too, the 80D is only 3 years old, and it's not lacking much (other than possibly 4K). Give it a resolution bump, maybe the better AF system from the 7d Mk II, I'm not even sure what else. A few FPS?

The 7d mark ii is 4.5 years old, I wonder if there still is a chance that these lines get merged?

The 7D III is really the body I've been waiting for, for far too long. A better (than the 7D II) APS-C sensor with hopefully no AA and the same rugged body with better focusing. I never really liked my 7D II since a majority of photos always ranged from "a bit soft" to completely out of focus but then again I suspect I just had a bad copy. My 5D IV on the other hand is in a completely different league when nailing focus,

Oh ya, as far as 4k being in the next 90D/7DIII -I could care less about it but just want to see a decent version of it added to quiet the roaring mob.

Upvote 0
Nope.... with a perfect sensor, 100% efficiency and no read noise, it would take 2^14 photons to produce 2^14 electrons, and that translates to 14 stops of DR. If the pixel was only half the size, then it would only be hit with 2^13 photons, so then you have 2^13 electrons and 13 stops of DR.

If you want that smaller pixel to get hit with more light, you need more light, and that means either bigger glass, more time, or turn up the lights..... all of which change the scene...
In your previous message you were talking about pixels and now you use 'photons' in place of pixels.

And no it doesn't work like you said. 2^14 photons don't produce 2^14 electrons and 2^14 electrons don't translate to 14-stop DR.
Read about effective quantum efficiency and signal-to-noise ratio.

Upvote 0

cellomaster27

Capture the moment!
Jun 3, 2013
San Jose - CA
The same source also said that the Canon Rumors readers would be disappointed to know that a “professional level” camera such a replacement for the EOS 7D Mark II or EOS-1D X Mark II isn’t scheduled for this year.

I'm happy and sad that they know what we want. lol I'm going to try to milk my 5D3 while I wait..
btw... I don't know if this is a good idea.. what if someone made a battery grip for the EOS R with an extra card slot that records files from the main card via wires or bluetooth? probably need a program that would allow it.. I think then I'd get the darn camera.. lol any engineers that can do it?

Upvote 0
You have some valid points, but not this one. “Better and more compelling,” is a matter of opinion. For one thing, I guarantee that many people will find the EOS RP compelling — it’s the least expensive current-model FF camera on the market.

I'm not wrong neither are you.

It's definitely a matter of opinion and what people value. Each market value thing differently - price, performance, features, etc. All the competitors has something to offers including Canon. We have a lot of choices. If people want the cheapest FF mirrorless camera, Canon RP is a good option. If people are price sensitive, APS-C might be an option since FF lenses are more expensive. Competitors also has A7II and eventually Nikon Z5. The market also has different demand than the cheapest FF market.

I guarantee that many people will find the EOS RP compelling
Sure "many people" will find it compelling. It's currently #53 on Amazon's Best Seller in Mirrrorless. Sony has 4 products on the top 4 and Canon M50 as #5. We will see if that's what the market want.

The point is Canon has alot of competitions compared to the yesteryear of mostly Canon vs Nikon. Everyone is offering something different and will take a piece of the pie away from Canon.

Last edited:
Upvote 0