There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

Even though I know it’s next to impossible to create without reducing image quality and it may be large due to all glass in it.
I’d LOVE to see an RF-EF adapter.
Since they noted, no more EF Lenses this would be a good trade off.

"Since they noted, no more EF Lenses this would be a good trade off."

Did they actually say this somehwere? I have heard it a lot but not actually read anything official.

Upvote 0
I’ve been saying the R5 megapixel spec was withheld intentionally. Either they are going with 80+mp native sensor and 8K is downsampled (but this really wouldn’t be called a “new feature”), or they have a 39-45mp sensor than can do handheld 8-10 image pixel shift that’s combined into a single new format, called something like Pro-RAW. It would give you simultaneously a higher res image with increased DR. The new format would contain the original stacked RAWs that could allow us to pull out individual frames like you can with the current iPhone.

I think the dual-gain sensor and traditional high-res pixel shift is almost a given, and that plus some sort of AI-pixel shift new feature would be amazing.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

esglord

EOS RP
May 9, 2019
-ability to bundle with the 24-105 f/4-f/7.1 for only an additional $300!
-there will be a limited additional solid platinum R-Bling version!
-patents recently purchased from Olympus have enabled a last minute sensor spec switch, transforming the R5 into the most advanced micro 4/3 camera ever!
-comes with a free early release Sony PS5!

okay, well probably not

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

BakaBokeh

CR Pro
May 16, 2020
Speculation!

For photographers, I can't think of anything more than better Dynamic Range, less noisy ISO and the ability to buy a stills only version of the R5 at a discount.

For kicks
- ISO that goes to zero or even negative
- Plant, Tree, Flower, Fruit AF
- A rear facing 5 MP camera
- Alexa, Google Assistant integration
- Left Eye dominant/Left handed bodies or portrait mode oriented bodies
- Some kind of repellent for those crowded areas to clear out those annoying people in your shot. It could be an odor, or ear piercing frequency that will send them running
- Built in IVY CLIQ printer
- Built in air bags for when you accidentally knock your tripod over
- A.I. that will suggest hashtags for each shot

Tongue in cheek obviously, but I think what would be useful technology or just cool things to have on Canon would be things like
- Variable Shutter. Depending on how hard you push the shutter button, you vary the FPS. As you increase pressure the FPS goes up.
- Eye Tracking Autofocus. Not Eye Detect AF. There is a technology that can track where you are looking at on a monitor. They have those youtube videos where they watch... ahem well endowed women as a challenge to avoid looking below the neck region. Failure is almost guaranteed. lol. Humor aside, it is pretty impressive how it can track what the eyes are focusing on, on the screen. If you could incorporate that in an EVF, you could essentially control the focus point by just looking at what you want to focus on.
- Film simulations ala Fuji
- Some kind of EVF Flash/Exposure simulation. Instead of just turning off exposure simulation to shoot flash photography, there's a mode that will incorporates the flash settings into the exposure simulation.
- Anti-theft: How about a kensington lock for the body? And a locking mechanism so the lens cannot be removed by anyone but the user?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Releasing it with a RF 500mm f/5.6 DO .... nah that dream won't come true but still first past the post with that lens on mirrorless wins this wildlife photographers money. Don't care if the camera can do 50 fps, just get out some form of 500mm prime(Or 200-400 f/4 native).

Back on topic: I am thinking that dual ISO stuff they shoved into the latest cinema camera. I can't think of anything else that would pull me into the R5.

Upvote 0

Steve Balcombe

Too much gear
Aug 1, 2014
Two things Canon has been conspicuously silent about in the pre-announcements are the sensor technology and the EVF. While the EVF has to be very good to live up to the general level of hype and anticipation, a "major new feature coming in the EOS R5 for photographers" doesn't make me think of the EVF. But it could be quad pixel AF, or dual gain output, or even both. Both of these exist, and both would be great to have.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

Two things Canon has been conspicuously silent about in the pre-announcements are the sensor technology and the EVF. While the EVF has to be very good to live up to the general level of hype and anticipation, a "major new feature coming in the EOS R5 for photographers" doesn't make me think of the EVF. But it could be quad pixel AF, or dual gain output, or even both. Both of these exist, and both would be great to have.

The EVF could be a big thing. I remember going over the packaging of the 1D bodies up to the 1DX line. A lot of the early 1D boxes mentioned startup time as a big feature until the cameras became instant on. I think EVF's measured in start up time and response time will become a bigger feature than how many dots it has. The EVF on my Nikon Z6 is no slouch but it is still a little behind and if Canon can get the EVF delay down and response up then that puts it right up there for sports and wildlife.

Upvote 0
Hmmmm... rather than DPAF, it will have QDAF?? That would be awesome.

Or some trickier that allows one set of pixels to capture one exposure while the other half another, and blended together for higher DR?

Who knows, when they say NEW feature, do they mean new to canon, or new to all?
It sounds like you’re referring to DualGainISO like what’s on the C300iii and entire ARRI Alexa/Amira line.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
Speculation!

For photographers, I can't think of anything more than better Dynamic Range, less noisy ISO and the ability to buy a stills only version of the R5 at a discount.

For kicks
- ISO that goes to zero or even negative
- Plant, Tree, Flower, Fruit AF
- A rear facing 5 MP camera
- Alexa, Google Assistant integration
- Left Eye dominant/Left handed bodies or portrait mode oriented bodies
- Some kind of repellent for those crowded areas to clear out those annoying people in your shot. It could be an odor, or ear piercing frequency that will send them running
- Built in IVY CLIQ printer
- Built in air bags for when you accidentally knock your tripod over
- A.I. that will suggest hashtags for each shot

Tongue in cheek obviously, but I think what would be useful technology or just cool things to have on Canon would be things like
- Variable Shutter. Depending on how hard you push the shutter button, you vary the FPS. As you increase pressure the FPS goes up.
- Eye Tracking Autofocus. Not Eye Detect AF. There is a technology that can track where you are looking at on a monitor. They have those youtube videos where they watch... ahem well endowed women as a challenge to avoid looking below the neck region. Failure is almost guaranteed. lol. Humor aside, it is pretty impressive how it can track what the eyes are focusing on, on the screen. If you could incorporate that in an EVF, you could essentially control the focus point by just looking at what you want to focus on.
- Film simulations ala Fuji
- Some kind of EVF Flash/Exposure simulation. Instead of just turning off exposure simulation to shoot flash photography, there's a mode that will incorporates the flash settings into the exposure simulation.
- Anti-theft: How about a kensington lock for the body? And a locking mechanism so the lens cannot be removed by anyone but the user?
I really hope you work for Canon and these "for kicks" ideas are in development! Negative ISO, flower AF, and air bags would be amazing!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0