There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

martin_p_a

EOS RP
CR Pro
Jul 30, 2019
Montreal
Voice recognition/command for the Triangle settings: Aperture, Shutter Speed, ISO...plus other voice commands, such as: manual to auto focus and vice versa. And if your at a place where you need to be quiet, like a wedding or funeral or a loud place like a concert or sports event, then there's an option to purchase Blue Tooth Mind-Control implant. The implant would be the size of a pinhead. My sources say that the patent was approved by another undisclosed company that Canon owns.

The funeral photography business couldn’t handle being tended to in this way

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Mar 4, 2020
I'd like to see the idea of the camera writing to the CFexpress card during shooting to empty the buffer quickly and make second copy to SD card "offline." This would allow for huge buffers and buffers that clear quickly, unlike some other high frame rate camera that takes foreaver to clear its buffer, which will remain un-named for now...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Well, the funniest post so far was "I peed a little!" :ROFLMAO:

But seriously, my guesses would be:
* dual gain sensor for higher single shot dynamic range
* software neutral density feature / LiveND / image stacking features
* night sky star focusing & tracking
* pixel shift 4x MP photo
* global shutter
* An unusually high MDot back LCD
* more MP than expected (50MP or more?)
* aperture bracketing (what I crave, but not headline shattering enough?)
* lossless raw compression
* an embedded RF flash controller

I guess we'll find out soon - hopefully it's good enough to "pee a little!" :ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:
" night sky star focusing & tracking" was one of my wishes. Maybe IBIS could make the fine adjustment to lower star trails- lower ISO/longer exposures.
* I was thinking that IBIS coupled with AF tracking could produce a panning mode, thus keeping the subject motion from being blurred due to panning errors.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
that's awesome.. does it respond as quickly and give a bit of a magnifier? it's something that had me humming about going to full frame for when I focus on wildlife.
Not a magnifier per se. in crop mode, they work like a crop sensor camera. The EVF is filled out. Live view is filled out. Effectively, it looks like it’s zoomed in. But just like cropping an image, it doesn’t use the full sensor. For the RP, it uses 10.1 megapixels of the 26.2 available in full frame.

Upvote 0
I am hoping for dual gain dual pixels. Since Canon has already done it on a video camera, there is cause for hope.

And I really like to see autofocus for horizontal lines. Can't help but wonder if vertical strips of paired dual pixels scattered about the sensor could give focus on horizontal lines. I know about the patents for quad pixel and imagine it is coming some day, but it seems just now that Canon is catching up to handling the flood of data coming off the dual pixels. Making the jump to quad pixels and making all the other improvements Canon. is making might be a bit to much to ask now. Maybe in a couple of years.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Two things Canon has been conspicuously silent about in the pre-announcements are the sensor technology and the EVF. While the EVF has to be very good to live up to the general level of hype and anticipation, a "major new feature coming in the EOS R5 for photographers" doesn't make me think of the EVF. But it could be quad pixel AF, or dual gain output, or even both. Both of these exist, and both would be great to have.
The R5 announcement by Canon Australia a few weeks ago started by saying all new sensor rather than highlighting 8K video. I believe there is a lot more new to the sensor than MP count. I do expect a better dynamic range, perhaps stacked sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The funeral photography business couldn’t handle being tended to in this way

Which way, Mind-Control? I think I missed the joke, lol! o_O

Is funeral photography really a thing?

who knew...

I don't know if it is, but when thinking of an example, I remembered going to a Philipino funeral here in the USA, and asked my gf (of the same nationality) "why is he video taping a funeral?". Using a monopod, he recorded the entire funeral. Even she thought it was weird. :unsure:

Upvote 0