There are still surprises in store for the Canon EOS R5 announcement [CR2]

Is the guy deleting his posts himself or is that somebody on the forum side doing it?

If so, I don't think that's right. Critizing Canon is fair game, with the kind of stuff they pull. They actually left out 24 p, FFS. I know, they probably looked at the market and did it for reasons that are understandable from their perspective. But it is just such a Canon thing to do, it almost beats the release of the 700D.

Throwing "fanboy" around towards people defending Canon's strategies is just as silly of course, as I don't think anybody actually cherishes the segmentation. But if that is what it takes for Canon to offer us what we do like about our gear and be happy with their economics, we can live with it.

If having that back and forth is too much for the forum censors I am not surprised we've seen so few actual trolls recently. But it makes me concerned.
I don't know. I didn't report the posts or the poster. I didn't even call him a troll.

Canon does lots of things that annoy me as well as everybody else. I didn't even have a problem with some of what he was complaining about. I did have a problem with the way he was complaining about it and I just didn't want to get sucked into another rehash of the same old youtube talking points. I go out of my way to avoid that and that was as far as it was going. I suspect he took the posts down himself.

It's going to get a lot worse with the launch.

It might be time to take a break for a while until the wave passes but I'm bored to death from all of the endless social distancing where I live.

Now i feel bad. I guess I was a little harsh. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Is the guy deleting his posts himself or is that somebody on the forum side doing it?

If so, I don't think that's right. Critizing Canon is fair game, with the kind of stuff they pull. They actually left out 24 p, FFS. I know, they probably looked at the market and did it for reasons that are understandable from their perspective. But it is just such a Canon thing to do, it almost beats the release of the 700D.[..]

My main issue with the term (apart from the word used and unnecessary violent imaging), is that the interwebs at large lump segmentation and technical limitations together. Looking at what Magic Lantern has been able to do and more importantly, hasn't been able to do, we can be fairly certain that the "only 4k in crop mode" is a limitation of the sensor, it's just too darn slow to read. No 24p, hiding e-shutter in a useless mode on the RP, those are all segmentation.

Saying things like "Canon adds in the rolling shutter effect on purpose to protect their cinema line!!!eleven!!" will indeed rile up people here, for obvious reasons.

Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I don't know. I didn't report the posts or the poster. I didn't even call him a troll.

[...]

I wasn't criticizing you, and I think you expressed yourself in a reasonable manner. I was just wondering what was going on with his posts, especially since there was a reply to the one I quoted that only stayed up a few minutes.

Upvote 0

Mod_1

CR Pro
Dec 11, 2018

If so, I don't think that's right. Critizing Canon is fair game, with the kind of stuff they pull. They actually left out 24 p, FFS. I know, they probably looked at the market and did it for reasons that are understandable from their perspective. But it is just such a Canon thing to do, it almost beats the release of the 700D.

Throwing "fanboy" around towards people defending Canon's strategies is just as silly of course, as I don't think anybody actually cherishes the segmentation. But if that is what it takes for Canon to offer us what we do like about our gear and be happy with their economics, we can live with it.

If having that back and forth is too much for the forum censors I am not surprised we've seen so few actual trolls recently. But it makes me concerned.
He deleted them himself.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jolyonralph

Game Boy Camera
CR Pro
Aug 25, 2015
London, UK
www.everyothershot.com
It's not optimal exposure, because the camera never knows what you're exposing or what your intention is. It makes a best guess against an average scene.

That certainly USED to be the case, but isn't true any more. For years now Canon have been getting all the RAW files from 'Explorers of Light' to build a database to train their AI system (one of the EofL told me this directly a couple of years ago). The AI in mirrorless systems nowadays is far more advanced that you may think. The idea of just doing an 'average scene' may have worked in the first generation mirrorless cameras but it's totally obsolete now. You can blame cellphone cameras for raising the bar on computational photography now.

Now, I do agree that no matter how well trained an AI system is you still can't guarantee it will get the exposure right in every case. So if you have the time to adjust things manually then it's going to work out better. But not everyone has time to rethink this for every shot - and this is where the camera's intelligence helps.

Upvote 0
I wasn't criticizing you, and I think you expressed yourself in a reasonable manner. I was just wondering what was going on with his posts, especially since there was a reply to the one I quoted that only stayed up a few minutes.
I took it further than I should have which I regret. In the long run I probably did the guy a favor. Glad I missed his final post.

Upvote 0
That certainly USED to be the case, but isn't true any more. For years now Canon have been getting all the RAW files from 'Explorers of Light' to build a database to train their AI system (one of the EofL told me this directly a couple of years ago). The AI in mirrorless systems nowadays is far more advanced that you may think. The idea of just doing an 'average scene' may have worked in the first generation mirrorless cameras but it's totally obsolete now. You can blame cellphone cameras for raising the bar on computational photography now.

Now, I do agree that no matter how well trained an AI system is you still can't guarantee it will get the exposure right in every case. So if you have the time to adjust things manually then it's going to work out better. But not everyone has time to rethink this for every shot - and this is where the camera's intelligence helps.
I'm certainly not an EofL but Canon contacted me a few times asking me to submit photos to be evaluated by their AI software. As I recall, they wanted up to ten images. They didn't offer any compensation so I declined to participate on general principle but I agree that there is a lot more going into evaluative metering than just scene averaging. Canon now has that Image Connect service so they can just run their AI software through all those images.

Upvote 0

Admin US West

CR Pro
Nov 30, 2010

Canon does lots of things that annoy me as well as everybody else. I didn't even have a problem with some of what he was complaining about. I did have a problem with the way he was complaining about it and I just didn't want to get sucked into another rehash of the same old youtube talking points. I go out of my way to avoid that and that was as far as it was going. I suspect he took the posts down himself.

It's going to get a lot worse with the launch.

It might be time to take a break for a while until the wave passes but I'm bored to death from all of the endless social distancing where I live.

He removed the posts himself and made some unflattering comments about members. I don't think he wants to be part of the forum.

Upvote 0
He removed the posts himself and made some unflattering comments about members. I don't think he wants to be part of the forum.
Thanks. I guess it was probably for the best. I shouldn't have let it go that far but I think that was the inevitable conclusion. If I hadn't been the trigger, something else would have been.. Too bad. This site is a great resource.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Wouldn’t it be cool if the body had an electronic distancing measuring device built in? Center box for focusing but a distance number show up in screen? Watching 3 Coopers Hawks on the roof of an old shed and wondering how far away they were.
Doesn't the camera already know that (at least to a limited precision)? It has to know what position the lens has been focused to, and the lens focal length, so it should know the distance. I'm guessing that you just want a much more accurate value for the distance, right? Or are you saying that they've never displayed it in the OVF/EVF before?

Upvote 0
Doesn't the camera already know that (at least to a limited precision)? It has to know what position the lens has been focused to, and the lens focal length, so it should know the distance. I'm guessing that you just want a much more accurate value for the distance, right? Or are you saying that they've never displayed it in the OVF/EVF before?

Curious mostly. Old Alaskan surveyor here. Would love to see a number in the viewfinder!

Upvote 0
Does it look like you change the mode by pushing the button that says mode (1DX style) in the center of the top thumb wheel? That would leave the outside of the wheel custom assignable for ISO/EC pr some other function as appears to be the case on the R6. The button doesn't look like a lock and if you change mode by rotating the wheel it will be easy to change by accident. The R5 vs R6 thing is harder than I thought.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Wouldn’t it be cool if the body had an electronic distancing measuring device built in? Center box for focusing but a distance number show up in screen? Watching 3 Coopers Hawks on the roof of an old shed and wondering how far away they were.
The R and RP already do that, but only with RF lenses.

Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
So now that Canon has made the official announcements what are the supposed surpises?
I watched the USA announcement at 5am and am still wondering the answer to this question.
There were tons of great things to see, but I guess after all the leaks and a strong set of features across the board, I can't quite figure out which announcement was supposed to be THE ONE that was referred to in this thread.

Upvote 0