What’s next for the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6?

I have nothing in my house that will record anything at 4k60p or I would do this.
Try it with any 4K30p. I think you will still be surprised... unless your gpu supports it, SW encoding alone isn’t quick enough. I avoid gpu encoding as there is a quality hit which I’m not happy about. Others are fine.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
People are saying "I am a photographer, I dont shoot video, I dont care”. Well I am truly happy for the ”I dont shoot video" photographers. Thank you for giving me an opening.

I am a photographer as well, but video makes me money, and it helps me to land photography jobs that others dont. The more things I can offer a client on a photo shoot the better.

Where I am from, alot of the professionals are older, they refuse to change and evolve, and complain that younger inexperienced guys are undercutting them. Nope we are just offering more, and bringing additional value to a client.

When a client, hires me for a shoot, and I able send them some additional bts footage etc I am increasing my chances of getting a call back and also I am wetting their appetite for more than just photos. Maybe next time they engage me for more than just photography. All other things video related that I can offer to clients increases my value to a production and therefore increases my income.

The overheating issue with the R5 and the R6 is that other activities also decrease its time before overheating, I have seen reviewers saying that after shooting stills only, when they switched to video the R5 immediately gave them an overheating warning. So I can infer, that alot of the overheating times we are seeing are best case scenarios, and the cameras actually perform much worse in real life scenarios where they arent starting from a completely cool starting point.

If I am at an outdoor wedding and I am primarily shooting stills, and I switch to capture some B roll transitions etc, I dont want to be in a rushed and tense situation where the camera is immediately threatening to shut off. The fact that this risk exist in the R5 is a failure. Simple. If you are a photographer that doesnt shoot video or doesnt offer these services, thank you, please remain exactly the way you are!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
I picked my camera up this morning, set it up and testing it out now, so far it is an improved 5d mk 4 with silent shutter and real time live shoot/transfer to the phone as you shoot. I was at a murder scene this morning but did not have the camera yet, so I had to resort to the Apple SD card reader to transfer. The built in Wifi (not the $1000.00 battery grip wifi booster) did kick me out once in first test when the phone and camera went to sleep after a delay, the key may be to keep tapping the shutter and keep it active. I don't shoot video much, so I really don't worry about the over heating complaints, I will never experience those issues in my work flow.

Upvote 0
there might already be a heat sink in it. Does the body have room for one? How do they ventilate the body without allowing dirt and moisture to get in? A fan could introduce vibration.

its hard to imagine a fix that doesn’t involve a thicker body.
I don’t understand why the body needs to be so small in the first place. I love the size of the 5Dmk4 it fits in the hands nicely and balances a large lens well. Smaller bodies become front heavy with fast glass. If they made the R5 in the 5Dmk4 body they could’ve had room for a larger heat sink or some other solution. I was thinking a special video battery grip that has a battery at the base but a fan, heat sink, or large vent where the grip plugs into the battery compartment if that makes sense, but I’m no engineer.

Upvote 0

Kiton

Too deep in Canon to list! :o
Jun 13, 2015
People are saying "I am a photographer, I dont shoot video, I dont care”. Well I am truly happy for the ”I dont shoot video" photographers. Thank you for giving me an opening.

I am a photographer as well, but video makes me money, and it helps me to land photography jobs that others dont. The more things I can offer a client on a photo shoot the better.

Where I am from, alot of the professionals are older, they refuse to change and evolve, and complain that younger inexperienced guys are undercutting them. Nope we are just offering more, and bringing additional value to a client.

When a client, hires me for a shoot, and I able send them some additional bts footage etc I am increasing my chances of getting a call back and also I am wetting their appetite for more than just photos. Maybe next time they engage me for more than just photography. All other things video related that I can offer to clients increases my value to a production and therefore increases my income.

The overheating issue with the R5 and the R6 is that other activities also decrease its time before overheating, I have seen reviewers saying that after shooting stills only, when they switched to video the R5 immediately gave them an overheating warning. So I can infer, that alot of the overheating times we are seeing are best case scenarios, and the cameras actually perform much worse in real life scenarios where they arent starting from a completely cool starting point.

If I am at an outdoor wedding and I am primarily shooting stills, and I switch to capture some B roll transitions etc, I dont want to be in a rushed and tense situation where the camera is immediately threatening to shut off. The fact that this risk exist in the R5 is a failure. Simple. If you are a photographer that doesnt shoot video or doesnt offer these services, thank you, please remain exactly the way you are!

Pretty hard to declare a camera a failure based on internet hearsay! Try the camera and see if it works for. If it does not, there are other choices. We all have different needs and desires.

Upvote 0
I didn't claim anything else, did I? But I may have made some poor assumptions

My argument: Internal 8K H.265 overheats after ~25 minutes. Internal 8K RAW overheats after ~ 25 minutes. I was assuming that RAW does not involve any compression and therefore concluded that encoding is not the reason for the overheating. But, looking at the supposed bitrate of 2600 Mbps, there is some compression present, or my math is wrong: (8192 * 4320) pixels * 12 bit per pixel * 30 per second = 12,740 Mbps.

So yeah. We don't know the cause of the heat too well and therefore all this speculation about a possible fix seems pretty of the rails to me.
Did not mean to offend or accuse, sorry.

Yes the issue is compression h265 Or raw encoding and internal writing is generating the additional heat which can’t be dissipated.

So in fact, had Canon restricted the HQ, 120fps and 8k to HDMI only does that not mean there would have been no issue to fix?

Upvote 0
A few years back when convergence was all the rage, I posted that I felt that it would ultimately lead to divergence. I think that may be happening.

In the early years it was easy to add a few video features to stills cameras. As the years went by, the video features became more sophisticated. But, at some point the two uses get highly specialized and there are inevitable conflicts between the two. One has to wonder if it is practical and affordable to have a highly specialized and capable video camera and a highly specialized and capable stills camera in the same body.

The R5 looks like a great body for stills shooters who want to occasional shoot a bit of video. But, it appears to have a few issues for those who want to shoot long-form ultra high resolution video. The easy answer for us stills shooters is to just tell these video folks it's not the tool for them. But, I'm not sure that's totally fair. Some of the concerns do seem legitimate, especially since Canon really marketed the heck out of the video features.

I'm not one of those people who is opposed to video in cameras or who whine "I don't want to pay for video in my camera!" But, I do wonder just what hardware modifications might be necessary to resolve this issue and how that might affect the cost, weight, performance and sealing of the camera. Maybe it is time to consider a separate R5 Cinema version that is optimized for video, instead of the one-size fits all body.
I totally agree. I think that’s what Sony did with the A7s3 but flipped the priorities and made a video capable camera that can also shoot some basic albeit mediocre stills if needed in a pinch. I prefer a stills capable camera that can also shoots some video clips here and there if needed. Which is why I’m excited about the R5 as it’s perfect for the way I’ll use it. I think both are great options depending on your workflow.

Upvote 0

Max TT

Canon 60D / Canon 6D
Feb 9, 2020
I have not once, ever, seen you post a constructive or thoughtful comment. Every single post is bashing and complaining. It must be exhausting- I know the rest of us are fatigued by the constant and baseless whining from a very small few.

No one is forced to buy any of these cameras, so where is this dollar squeezing? Trapped with EF glass? A simple adapter can put people on any number of non-canon systems.

What I would really like to hear about from you is what you shoot currently, how amazing it is and why, and see some of the incredible content you produce with those tools; if you are not so busy complaining that you never actually produce anything good. Prove your assertions with logic, or be gone.
Its flawed, lol why else would people even entertain the fact that there maybe a recall or firmware updates to address issues. A company actually developed a "fan" to attach to the bloody thing... A blinking external fan!!! People are posting about mount adapters that can provide cooling... Its a joke, and people like you who dont hold a company to the fire for delivering a severely hampered product is why they can continually disappoint, because of you. When there are changes to the product and updates, it wont be because of you, it will be because of all the people you complain about. You are welcome.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
It is not a defect, it was a design decisions. The camera has firmware that both detects, warns and then deals with the situation. It is a defect when they don't know about the issue, ship the product, and then have to create an emergency fix to make it usable beyond spec. None of this is happening, just a lot of noise around people that want more than what was promised. I don't think Canon ever said you should shoot a full length motion picture with this camera. Look at the size, cost, and weight of a camera that could deliver what some people are requesting. I know it is not something that I want.
Look, I like Canon, and actually have an R5 out for delivery as I write this. I can tell you, if I learn that this camera cannot be trusted to perform I will return it. And I’m sure that I am not alone in this thinking. So if it was a design decision it will have an impact on purchase decisions. If Canon wants my $4000 this camera will have to work and not get in the way of my process. It’s that simple... the ball is in their court.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
Try it with any 4K30p. I think you will still be surprised... unless your gpu supports it, SW encoding alone isn’t quick enough. I avoid gpu encoding as there is a quality hit which I’m not happy about. Others are fine.

EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 seems to be able to handle it. Just encoded a 3 minute 4K30P video using H265 with 'medium' compression in Handbrake in 1:40 seconds.

Most likely I'm not doing it right.

Upvote 0

All fair comments and probably quite indicative of one of the challenges any wedding photographer will face.

Alas it means right now, the r5/r6 isn’t suitable for you.

But may I ask what are you comparing the r5/6 to? What are you using today for your stills/video? Would it be fair to say that the r5 lowest 4K mode (which apparently doesn’t overheat) is comparable to whatever (guessing here) Canon body you are currently using?

Upvote 0
That’s the video, thanks. I think Panasonic won though, lol
And it must! It has a fan and no so powerful features! But this is a second test only with Sony and Canon! And even with overheating control set to high on Sony which allows more time ( but can damage components) Canon won again!

Edit: this doesn´t give me nothing my only concern is Canon and what the R5 can or can´t do.

Upvote 0
To be fair, if the screwdriver were accompanied by a massive ad campaign touting it's ability to drive nails people might have a right to complain.

I think the problem is not that it overheats, it's that Canon went out of their way to market the video capabilities of the camera, overshadowing the stills aspects, and failed to anticipate the concerns that are now being raised as a direct outgrowth of their own marketing. (And, I don't shoot video by the way.)
Did Canon really do massive marketing of this camera as a video camera? I don’t recall but maybe I just didn’t see the ads. What I did see was a lot of rumor mills and YouTubers doing massive hype about the video features. I agree if the downplayed the video by saying it could do 20 minute bursts of 8K people would have been amazed because they would’ve been expecting 8K only in time lapse and here Canon is actually giving us 20 minutes! All about managing expectations lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0