What is the new 5d3 Groundbreaking Feature that will shake the industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Canihaspicture said:
JavaBean said:
Although why is it $500 more than a D800??? I am confused.... I don't think we know everything yet...

http://www.phototips.biz/2012/02/5d3-secret-prediction-spoiler-alert.html

I hope you are right, otherwise several years wait for a 5D MK III will celebrate with a "meh..."

We must take in account that is the "kit" price with the $2500 24-70 f/2.8L lens. Considering that the kit price for a current 5d Mk2 with a 24-105 f/4 is approx $800 more, we have to figure they aren't going to sell a $2500 lens for a mere $800. I am going to guess a MSRP of $2500 that leaves the kit at $3500 with the 24-70.

I hope I am right on this, but who knows, we shall see soon.

Thank you,

Upvote 0
gummyrabbit said:
RAW video? That's in the specs...unless CR is wrong.

"File Formats – AVI, RAW, H.264, MOV, MPEG-4"

RAW is the output format for stills.

EIREHotspur said:
I am going to guess that they are doing 1080 60/50p.

I'd love if it was clean hdmi out though.
I shoot mostly 720 50p anyway as most of my stuff ends up on the web.
sony already does 1080p60. nikon already does clean HDMI.

the current specs don't show me anything that is going to shake anything. Everybody is doing video which was the key thing the 5DII had when it came out over the rest. The landscape with high end RED cameras, canon's own C line is much different today than it was before.

Upvote 0
psolberg said:
gummyrabbit said:

EIREHotspur said:

the current specs don't show me anything that is going to shake anything. Everybody is doing video which was the key thing the 5DII had when it came out over the rest. The landscape with high end RED cameras, canon's own C line is much different today than it was before.

I am guessing that RAW video is included, why else would they put that in the Video Output section? RAW is assumed to be an output for stills, but RAW video is what I think cinematographers have been clamoring for now that Lightroom 4 will provide more video editing.

If I am wrong, then I am wrong, but we are going on mere speculation until the announcement.

Upvote 0
G

gummyrabbit

psolberg said:
gummyrabbit said:

EIREHotspur said:

But they don't list jpg. It appears that it outputs RAW video....but you probably need an external storage device.

Upvote 0
Drama79 said:
RAW full HD video processes at roughly 120mb a second. So can you think of a camera / CF card combo that could cope with that? 1GB = 9 seconds of footage. The write rate for it would have to be... INCONCEIVABLE.

Hmm...I notice that Lexar just announced new UDMA7 CF cards. Can't find the sustained write speeds, but sustained read is 150MB/s, so if write is near that it might possibly support the 120MB/s needed for the RAW 1080p30.

Too bad it doesn't have USB 3.0, that would support enough bandwidth to send raw 1080p50/60 streams to an external system to write. Assuming the external system could support the write speeds of course.

Upvote 0
G

gummyrabbit

Drizzt321 said:
Drama79 said:
RAW full HD video processes at roughly 120mb a second. So can you think of a camera / CF card combo that could cope with that? 1GB = 9 seconds of footage. The write rate for it would have to be... INCONCEIVABLE.

Hmm...I notice that Lexar just announced new UDMA7 CF cards. Can't find the sustained write speeds, but sustained read is 150MB/s, so if write is near that it might possibly support the 120MB/s needed for the RAW 1080p30.

Too bad it doesn't have USB 3.0, that would support enough bandwidth to send raw 1080p50/60 streams to an external system to write. Assuming the external system could support the write speeds of course.

If it's 1GB = 9 second, then a $800 128GB card can store 19 mins of footage. Not very practical I would think.

Upvote 0
The listing of "RAW" between all the other video formats is very curious, I agree that without the JPEG listing, it seems to suggest a RAW format for video. I would consider this to be groundbreaking....

As others have stated, it seems there is something missing... perhaps it could be 720 RAW? Anyone know the bitrate on 720 RAW video? My guess is it would easily fall under the performance capabilities of certain UDMA 6 and 7 cards available now.

If the 5Diii does shoot RAW video, I think most DSLR videographers would agree this would justify the price. If not...then $3500 is going to be a stretch. You could buy a 7D and 5Dii for that. Im hopeful...

Time will tell- its going to be a long day waiting....ugh...

Upvote 0
gummyrabbit said:
Drizzt321 said:
Drama79 said:

If it's 1GB = 9 second, then a $800 128GB card can store 19 mins of footage. Not very practical I would think.

19 minutes is more than a 1000 foot spool of 35mm film. That's really not so bad. But it doesn't shoot full resolution in raw, because why would it shoot 6fps at 3:2 and then 30fps cropped to 16:9. Makes no sense.

If there were any hope for raw video it would be something similar to sraw. A quarter the resolution so maybe four times the frame rate? That would be a HUGE deal, although the video would still suffer from aliasing.

Also, remember that bayer sensors don't record as much detail as their stated resolution--red's 4k isn't as sharp as a IMAX scanned and downressed to 4k... "720p raw" would look like SD and alias worse than the current generation's output.

But it's not going to happen. These specs are based on what's posted on one website--one website that erroneously claims the 5DII and 7D record in "avi and raw." When, really, they record in .mov, raw, and jpeg.

The video samples from the 1DX aren't substantially better than those from the 5DII. I wish the 5DIII were a killer video camera, but it seems like Canon is waiting on a lower end cinema dSLR until some time in the future. Fingers crossed, of course--I'd love to order one of these.

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
MichaelTheMaven said:
The listing of "RAW" between all the other video formats is very curious, I agree that without the JPEG listing, it seems to suggest a RAW format for video. I would consider this to be groundbreaking....

As others have stated, it seems there is something missing... perhaps it could be 720 RAW? Anyone know the bitrate on 720 RAW video? My guess is it would easily fall under the performance capabilities of certain UDMA 6 and 7 cards available now.

If the 5Diii does shoot RAW video, I think most DSLR videographers would agree this would justify the price. If not...then $3500 is going to be a stretch. You could buy a 7D and 5Dii for that. Im hopeful...

Time will tell- its going to be a long day waiting....ugh...

Considering the patent for RAW video was submitted almost 2 years ago, I think this is very likely. And I agree it does seem strange that JPEG isn't listed and the fact that all the other formats listed are movie formats makes me think that it may have raw video. Perhaps they'll have some external storage solution...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.