What lenses do you feel are "missing" from RF still?

Personally, I'd like to see a 300/2.8 (ideally with a built-in 1.4x TC)....
I do find it very surprising that neither Canon nor Nikon nor Sony offer a 300 2.8 in their current mirrorless lineup, nor do any of them have one on their roadmap (as far as I know). Considering what a common pro lens this was for SLR, it seems like a glaring omission. Adding a built-in 1.4x extender seems to me like it would give it wide appeal.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I know there is the 100-500. It I’m keeping my ef 100-400, 7.1 is getting a little too slow.
It’s actually not significantly ‘slower’ in a relevant way. Yes, the f/number is larger, but the focal length is correspondingly longer so the physical aperture is the same ~71mm. That means at the same shutter speed the number of photons reaching the sensor is the same, and same number of photons means same noise. OTOH, if you crop your 400mm shot to a 500mm FoV, you’ll have less total light and thus a noisier image.

Leaving technical details aside, the bottom line is that the RF 100-500 will deliver images as good or better than the EF 100-400 II. But for most, particularly those who already own the EF 100-400, likely not better enough to justify the cost.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Yes, the f/number is larger, but the focal length is correspondingly longer so the physical aperture is the same ~71mm. That means at the same shutter speed the number of photons reaching the sensor is the same, and same number of photons means same noise.
Only if you would need to crop to the same angle of view otherwise.

The absolute aperture is the same, but the angle the lens collects the light from is smaller, thus less photons pass through the aperture opening and then end up on the sensor.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands

The absolute aperture is the same, but the angle the lens collects the light from is smaller, thus less photons pass through the aperture opening and then end up on the sensor.
In the context of what @neuroanatomist responded to: the RF100-500 has the same maximum physical aperture as the EF100-400II, so where the focal lengths overlap, from 100mm to 400mm, the same amount of photons will hit the sensor, regardless of the lens. The angle difference you're talking about only comes into play when using the 'bonus' 400-500mm range.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
In the context of what @neuroanatomist responded to: the RF100-500 has the same maximum physical aperture as the EF100-400II, so where the focal lengths overlap, from 100mm to 400mm, the same amount of photons will hit the sensor, regardless of the lens. The angle difference you're talking about only comes into play when using the 'bonus' 400-500mm range.
Agreed that between 100-400mm the two are basically identical.

But I believe kit was referring to the 400-500mm range on the newer lens, and if so, he was right: less light will hit the sensor on account of the narrower field of view. That's what f/7.1 means (as compared to f/5.6). Maybe I misunderstood Neuroanatomist but it looked like he was claiming otherwise.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

But I believe kit was referring to the 400-500mm range on the newer lens, and if so, he was right: less light will hit the sensor on account of the narrower field of view. That's what f/7.1 means (as compared to f/5.6). Maybe I misunderstood Neuroanatomist but it looked like he was claiming otherwise.
The point is that 500mm f/7.1 is functionally the same as 400/5.6 cropped to a 500mm FoV.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

If you are photographing a duck with a 400/5.6 and a 500/7.1, then the same number of photons hit the image of the duck in both cases.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012

The RF 100-500mm is stopped down to f/6.3 at 400mm and so the effective diameter drops from ~71mm to ~63mm. Accordingly, the EF 100-400mm lets in more light at 400mm than does the RF 100-500mm at 400mm.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
That assumes that the duck still fits in the frame at 500.
I wrote photographing a duck, not part of a duck. But, that's not the point: the point is the photon flux per unit area of object in the image depends on the area of the front element (etrance pupil) and not the f-number of the lene.

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I wrote photographing a duck, not part of a duck. But, that's not the point: the point is the photon flux per unit area of object in the image depends on the area of the front element (etrance pupil) and not the f-number of the lene.
And my point is that it (photon flux per unit area of the object plane reaching the sensor plane) also depends on the distance to the object. "Zooming with feet", when possible, gives better results.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
And my point is that it (photon flux per unit area of the object plane reaching the sensor plane) also depends on the distance to the object. "Zooming with feet", when possible, gives better results.
I think we’d all agree that getting closer is better. But ‘when possible’ often isn’t when shooting many subjects for which telephoto lenses are commonly used, e.g., birds/wildlife.

I zoom with my feet with TS-E lenses. Buildings rarely fly away.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Zooming with your feet when moving forwards with a prime lens might give better results than zooming in. But, having to move backwards with a prime lens to fit in a duck rather than zoom out and be closer is the opposite. The “zooming with your feet is better“ comment we see so often verges on the silly as it often can’t be done.

Upvote 0
It’s actually not significantly ‘slower’ in a relevant way. Yes, the f/number is larger, but the focal length is correspondingly longer so the physical aperture is the same ~71mm. That means at the same shutter speed the number of photons reaching the sensor is the same, and same number of photons means same noise. OTOH, if you crop your 400mm shot to a 500mm FoV, you’ll have less total light and thus a noisier image.

Leaving technical details aside, the bottom line is that the RF 100-500 will deliver images as good or better than the EF 100-400 II. But for most, particularly those who already own the EF 100-400, likely not better enough to justify the cost.
It’s a depth of field issue with sports, editors (and myself) want those backgrounds to drop as much as possible. I own a 100-400, had a 100-500 to use for a week from Canon, it was fine. There are few sports that I shoot that the range is ideal, but I do struggle with backgrounds being too in focus.

Upvote 0
The RF 100-500mm is stopped down to f/6.3 at 400mm and so the effective diameter drops from ~71mm to ~63mm. Accordingly, the EF 100-400mm lets in more light at 400mm than does the RF 100-500mm at 400mm.
Correct, looking through the little hole in the plexiglass at NHL, more light passing through and less background in focus is the goal. I also use a 400 2.8 and almost always shot at 2.8

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
It’s a depth of field issue with sports, editors (and myself) want those backgrounds to drop as much as possible. I own a 100-400, had a 100-500 to use for a week from Canon, it was fine. There are few sports that I shoot that the range is ideal, but I do struggle with backgrounds being too in focus.
Interesting. If your framing at 500mm is not too tight, 500mm f/7.1 gives a shallower DoF than 400mm f/5.6 for a subject at the same distance. Having said that, from 363-471mm the RF 100-500 is at f/6.3, in that overlapping range of 363-400mm you lose 1/3-stop of subject isolation. At the other end, the 100-500 stays f/4.5 a little longer. Anywhere in the zoom range, I suspect you'd be hard-pressed to see a 1/3-stop difference have any meaningful impact on a final image, especially if you were not comparing controlled images side-by-side.

The technical reasons ('slower', 'deeper depth of field') for choosing the EF 100-400 over the RF 100-500 are really not meaningful unless you're measuring image noise in a lab or using a DoF calculator and arguing over a few cm difference in DoF at a distance of dozens of meters. Honestly, those differences are only going to be evident under rigorously controlled testing, and if you're talking about images that will be downsampled and viewed by people on media ranging from smartphones to magazines to 5K displays, those differences are truly meaningless. With respect, your 'reasons' are hogwash. If you don't want to swap your EF 100-400 for an RF 100-500, that's certainly your call. The same facts that make the RF 100-500 not meaningfully worse than the EF 100-400 make it not meaningfully better, so 'why bother' is more than sufficient reason not to swap.

Upvote 0