Why did you choose Canon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
I just went with what I knew. We had Canon at my high school yearbook and that was pretty much it. I spent a few years on the dark side but the original 1D was light years ahead of anything Nikon was producing and that was all she wrote and I'll never look back. I'll be with Canon now until the lights are out.
What keeps me WITH Canon, the CPS program is absolutely the best thing going. Fast turnaround times, loaners, being at the sporting events I cover with loaner gear, sending back updated refurb gear instead of repairing something near the end of life....what more can I ask for?
A pro friend of mine who is in the middle of switching from Canon to Nikon just sent in some gear to Nikon for repair.....took weeks to get it back....have fun with that!

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I chose canon because they are designed by someone with common sense.

We are all visual people, some moreso than others. Personally i find nikons style clashes with my own- especially their UGLY interfaces on the lower end bodies. The nikon menu system looks like something out of the stone age, and i ddi not want to deal with the AF/no Af motor nonsense.

More importantly, comes down to the glass- and some canon L glass is just too delicious not to own.

Upvote 0

lintoni

Good grief!
Mar 18, 2012
Back in 1999, I was going on holiday to Australia and knew that I wanted a 'proper' camera (as opposed to the point & shoot I'd been using)to document the trip. I went to my local camera store and asked the advice of the wonderfully kind and attentive gent at the counter. 45mins later, I walked out with an EOS 3000. A Year or two later, I'd upgraded to an EOS 30 and absolutely loved it. No turning back... but now I've got a DSLR, and I really miss the eye controlled AF!

Upvote 0
Didn't choose, so much as fell into it and stayed. My younger brother got himself a Rebel XTi (400D? 450? I can never remember), and when the 7D was announced, decided to upgrade. We did a family electronics shuffle, involving iPods and cameras and the like- I received the XTi at the cost of an old iPod. He kept his lenses, but I got a nifty fifty and a 75-300 (non-USM, didn't think the extra $40 for USM was worth it.... boy was I wrong). Fast forward a year and a half, lost the body and the tele to a whitewater kayaking accident, the 50 survived 5 minutes on the bottom of the river, and lived in the basement for two years. I recently bought myself a 7D because I missed taking nice pictures so much, and I'd had such a great introduction with the Rebel, that I just stuck with Canon. And here I am today, happy as a clam with everything that felt right in my hands, including the still-working 50 that has made it from the basement back into a camera case where it belongs!

Upvote 0
Well at first because I like the Name Canon more than Nikon.

Second: I like Canon´s trigger more than Nikons

Third when I saved my money for a 350D the Eos 400D was released which was a very good entry level slr at that time.

Fourth, Everywhere you go around you see Canon DSLR´s, but I´m not looking especially for Canon, more by the way like what gear use she or her,

and the L alltough I only have one, but in future maybe more *hopefully*

My Story

Upvote 0
I was after a DSLR, and picked the 450D because of price and features. I started a 2 year course in photography.

I stick with canon, 5 years on, as a working professional. I stay because of the ergonomics, glass and professional support that canon offer.
My canon gear has always grown with me, it's an extension of myself, and I can pick up any canon body from an EOS 300 through to the 1DS and through the 5/6/7ds all the way to the 1DX and be friends with it in minutes.
I can spend half an hour with a nikon entry level before I figure out how to take it out of auto iso.
Also...the images ain't so pleasing on the other side

Upvote 0
Mikael Risedal said:
Ewinter said:
I was after a DSLR, and picked the 450D because of price and features. I started a 2 year course in photography.

I stick with canon, 5 years on, as a working professional. I stay because of the ergonomics, glass and professional support that canon offer.
My canon gear has always grown with me, it's an extension of myself, and I can pick up any canon body from an EOS 300 through to the 1DS and through the 5/6/7ds all the way to the 1DX and be friends with it in minutes.
I can spend half an hour with a nikon entry level before I figure out how to take it out of auto iso.
Also...the images ain't so pleasing on the other side

it is very easy , you hold in the iso and turn the ring under the trigger button, I have use the both system during years, and have no problems with either Canon or Nikon
I can change the ISO fine, but they seem to have made the auto ISO setting buried in the menu with another, manual ISO option on the body/ quick menu on the d3100 and 3200. It distresses me greatly

Upvote 0
Mikael Risedal said:
Im not using these cameras, in d800 D3 etc there are no meny digging
I know.
I quite like Nikon's manual controls on the body.
something that you only really get on canon at the 1d level.
However, the Nikon menus beyond that kill me dead.
I think it's the way they keep mixing them up between generations.
For example : the empty card slot release on the d3100 is in the settings menu. On the d7000 it's in the custom functions. I don't know why that is, but it doesn't make sense to me.
On a more on topic note,
I like that the pro standard zoom on canon has enough resolving power to keep up with their pro bodies, and then some.

Upvote 0
My first SLR was a Topcon Unirex I bought at a pawn shop. My first new SLR was an AE-1 purchased around 1981. I later sold that and bought an A-1. Bought the motor drive for it and then bought a second A-1 w/drive as well. Sold those to get the cash to buy a F-1N. Got a MD for it as well as a nice selection of FD lenses. Along the way I was collecting a few FD bodies. I had a FTb and a few EF's. Saw the digital writing on the wall so leveraged all my film gear to get enough money to buy a 10D with a battery grip. Since selling the two 10D's I had I finally got a 7D and just recently bought a 5D MkII. Finally could afford a few L lenses to go with the bodies. I think I may be done but who knows. I love Canon. Nikons are nice but I'm just used to the ergos of Canons as well as the menu system. Canon has kept them fairly consistant from body to body.

Upvote 0
In 2000, I bought my first P&S Kodak film camera at a second hand store for $25. I was almost finished high school and decided to skip school that day (shame on me) to go on my first photo walk. Not a lot I could do with a prime, fixed focus and aperture lens, fixed to about 30-35mm and the shots were all rubbish lol.

In 2006, I bought my first Digital P&S, a Lumix and the next year I bought a SONY handycam and a Nikon D80. After my experience with the Handycam, I vowed never to buy SONY again because I didn't like the way it handled and the abberations were worse than my P&S. I lost the Handcam and stuck with the D80 with the old film 35-80mm lens for ages, after which buying a few cheap lenses.

Early last year facing a descision to upgrade and the appeal of the Canon lineup, I took the plunge and bought a 7D. Realizing the potential I bought a few more expensive lenses and have plans to buy a 70-200 2.8 II IS and a later upgrade of perhaps a 5D III (seeing what's available when I make the move).

I have been tossing the Idea around of going back to Nikon for a D800/E but the wisest move finacialy at this point would be Canon and I think I would probably be happier in the end anyway.

This is my first post so my current equipment is:
Canon 7D, sigma 10-20 f4-5.6, Sigma 18-50mm 2.8-4.5, Nifty 50mm 1.8 II
Nikon D80, Sigma 18-50mm 2.8-4.5 (because I love this lens so much), 50mm 1.8D, 70-300mm 4.5-5.6G (which I rarely use)
GoPro Hero 2
Panasonic TM-900 Camcorder

Upvote 0
Dec 9, 2012
I bought the first sub $1000 DSLR (original Digital Rebel) and have never looked back since. This is just a hobby for me, and and as I accumulate more gear (lenses, flash, etc) It has become almost imposible for me to switch. Besides, I would need a compelling reason to switch and I still don't have one.
Rocking the 6D now, and I'm happy with it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.