Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

May 11, 2016
I can see where some people need it, but I am part of the reason Canon is seeing slower sales of the 7D MK II.

That makes sense, from the viewpoint of what canon offers. But if the sales of the 7D Mk II is declining faster than Canon likes to see, I think there are more factors.

About a year ago I was heavily attacked by the usual members of this forum when I wrote about my observation that many people with a 7D or 7D Mk II that I spoke to, both in my home country and abroad, were thinking about switching to the D500. These facts apparently were not very welcome. I do not know about the people I spoke once when abroad, but I know since then 3 of my friends have sold their 7D / 7D Mk II and bought the Nikon D500.

That has given me the opportunity over the last 1 1/2 year to do a fait bit of comparisons (I wrote a bit about that in other posts I made), and the D500 is undeniably better than the 7D Mk II in 2 areas:
(1) AF-performance with erratically moving subjects and also with subjects that have less contrast (in particular in less than ideal lighing conditions);
(2) sensor performance where noticeably the Dynamic Range of the D500 allows post-processing where for instance skies that are bleak in the 7D Mk II still have realistic colors and saturation and also for instance the underside of wings or fuselage of aircraft show details with the D500 where the 7D Mk II does not (or you must push so hard that the Noise becomes too high).
What I mean to say is: there may also be other reasons that the sales of the 7D Mk II may not be what they were.

And there is one more thing with regards to sales of the 7D Mk II. A few months ago a representative of Canon was asked about the 7D Mk III in relation to competing the D500, and his answer was that Canon was perfectly happy with competing the D500 on price. That for me was an indication that Canon might not come up with a 7D Mk III at all. And I thought this for the same reasons that you mention: costs developing, building and maintaining a new high-end action camera are huge. With the end of the DSLR approaching it is not in Canon's business interest to take big risks there.

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
If correct these specs seem quite appealing! I just hope that it performs well in low light and has good DR having that many pixels.. There’s been talk about a new generation of canon sensors so who know, maybe IQ will be amazing! I’m not fussed about it having fewer focus points than the 7d2, providing it is accurate and performs well. I’m excited to see what happens!

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Im not sure I buy 4k60 existing in the DSLR line at only the 1DXII and 90D level. Unless they are gonna put out a 5D upgrade to 60fps, just seems counter to how Canon does segmentation.
Personally, I don't believe in this spec, but I also don't see a problem for Canon to have 4k60 in 5D5 if the new Digic they supposedly put into 90D is able to handle it without overheating.

Upvote 0
Based on this list, to qualify even as a potential replacement for the 7D Mk II some features are lacking.

AF-system
The 7D Mk II has 65 AF-points: 1 high-precision dual cross-type AF point and the rest are still cross-type points.
According to this list the “90D” will only have 45 AF-point. That is considerably less.
Also: no mention of the type of AF-points means that it can be less cross-type AF-points (although that may be unlikely).

More important is the customization that the 7D Mk II has - and that any action camera: the range of AF Areas that can be selected, such as Single Point Spot AF, Single Point AF, 4-point AF Point Expansion, 8-point AF Point Expansion, Zone AF, and Automatic AF Point Selection, Large Zone AF. This, together with the AF Area Select Lever makes it fast and easy to change the AF Area as you shoot. Again, a feature required to cope with changing conditions during action photography. It is very unlikely that the “90D” will get that – why else call it “90D” and not “7D Mk III”.

Controls and Ergonomics
Perhaps a bit less important, but because it is called “90D”, the size of the body will no doubt more resemble the 80D than the 7D Mk II. Ergonomics are important for an action camera, to be able to make available the controls and displays in such a way that that can easily be operated and/or seen. That requires enough room, and therefore ‘size matters’ also here.

Note:
It is quite possible that the “90D” will get dual DIGIC 8 processors. But if this potential is not used to improve on the ability to track and predict moving objects, than this feature has no meaning for action photographers. Especially this is an area where improvements over the 7D Mk II were hoped for/expected.

Upvote 0
Based on this list, to qualify even as a potential replacement for the 7D Mk II some features are lacking.

AF-system
The 7D Mk II has 65 AF-points: 1 high-precision dual cross-type AF point and the rest are still cross-type points.
According to this list the “90D” will only have 45 AF-point. That is considerably less.
Also: no mention of the type of AF-points means that it can be less cross-type AF-points (although that may be unlikely).

Lets not forget that the 80D -that I bought as a fall back cam- has 9 cross type AF points sensitive enough to work at f=8. It allows even for tracking birds with my 100-400mm mkII and the 1.4x extender installed.
I found that and still find it an great improvement over my 7D mk II. And thanks to the touch screen, I haven't missed the joy stick for one second.
Apart from that the performance of the 24 mp sensor-chip isn't bad eighter!
It turns out that I use the 80D more than the 7D mkII, these days. But I agree, a 7D mk III or any other seriuous APS-C cam is way, way overdue.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
And there is one more thing with regards to sales of the 7D Mk II. A few months ago a representative of Canon was asked about the 7D Mk III in relation to competing the D500, and his answer was that Canon was perfectly happy with competing the D500 on price. That for me was an indication that Canon might not come up with a 7D Mk III at all. And I thought this for the same reasons that you mention: costs developing, building and maintaining a new high-end action camera are huge. With the end of the DSLR approaching it is not in Canon's business interest to take big risks there.
Cameras do not compete by themselves. A D500 with 200-500 or the new 500 5.6 PF lens
Please, don't shoot birds! :cry:
Ha, ha, they keep being alive after shooting :D:D:D

• Love
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Cameras do not compete by themselves. A D500 with 200-500 or the new 500 5.6 PF lens

Ha, ha, they keep being alive after shooting :D:D:D
My previous post about lenses was incomplete. But you got the meaning, Future birders/wild life photographers with no system yet they may choose Nikon due to these two lenses.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Yes I know that but the UHS-II are ridiculously expensive and not much much faster than CF UDMA 7 (150MB/sec write). So a speedy controller that could use almost all of the speed would achieve very close performance to current UHS-II implementations (Speed tests on EOS R showed a top of 170MB/sec). At the same time we could make use of existing CF cards. The second slot could be UHS-II so as to make the most of both worlds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
My previous post about lenses was incomplete. But you got the meaning, Future birders/wild life photographers with no system yet they may choose Nikon due to these two lenses.
The Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 is not in the same league as the 100-400mm II. The Nikkor is very heavy and has slow AF. There are many reports from reliable sites that it is not very sharp at 500mm, and lenstip for example shows measurements confirming that it not impressive https://www.lenstip.com/544.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_200–500_mm_f_5.6E_ED_VR_Image_resolution.html
I blow hot and cold about the Nikon 500 f/5.6. I love its light weight and small size, and it is sharp and has fast AF. I wish my 400mm DO II were as light, and it's even heavier when extended by a 1.4xTC, and nearly twice the price. But, f/4 and 400mm is often more useful than f/5.6 and 500mm in low light and framing and a stop faster shutter speed. And I don't like going above f/5.6 with a high density sensor as you hit diffraction, and I can use the DO at 560mm and f/5.6.
So, for me, it's a new Canon body with sensor without an AA-filter that I want.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
The Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 is not in the same league as the 100-400mm II. The Nikkor is very heavy and has slow AF. There are many reports from reliable sites that it is not very sharp at 500mm, and lenstip for example shows measurements confirming that it not impressive https://www.lenstip.com/544.4-Lens_review-Nikon_Nikkor_AF-S_200–500_mm_f_5.6E_ED_VR_Image_resolution.html
I blow hot and cold about the Nikon 500 f/5.6. I love its light weight and small size, and it is sharp and has fast AF. I wish my 400mm DO II were as light, and it's even heavier when extended by a 1.4xTC, and nearly twice the price. But, f/4 and 400mm is often more useful than f/5.6 and 500mm in low light and framing and a stop faster shutter speed. And I don't like going above f/5.6 with a high density sensor as you hit diffraction, and I can use the DO at 560mm and f/5.6.
So, for me, it's a new Canon body with sensor without an AA-filter that I want.
So you wouldn't be tempted with a 1.5Kg EF 500mm f/5.6 DO lens ? :):):)

Upvote 0
So you wouldn't be tempted with a 1.5Kg EF 500mm f/5.6 DO lens ? :):):)
zooming capabilty is too important imo. Had too many situations where im camouflaged and cant move, but the animal comes too close or i want to change framing.
currently using the sigma 150-600 sport and i have a very nice copy of it thats 95% as sharp as the canon 100-400 ii.

but i would really apreciate a canon version thats lighter and has better stabilisation.

Upvote 0
My suggestion for Canon:

Take the body of a 7DII, put in all the latest stuff including the new 32.5MP sensor. Call it "9D" and sell it a price level between a 7DIII and a 90D. Both Upgraders and newcomers would love it, you would make tons of money and this 9D would be a really dignified closing of the APS-C DSLRS line of products before consumers and pros shift to mirrorless.

Can't be that difficult, can it?

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
My suggestion for Canon:

Take the body of a 7DII, put in all the latest stuff including the new 32.5MP sensor. Call it "9D" and sell it a price level between a 7DIII and a 90D. Both Upgraders and newcomers would love it, you would make tons of money and this 9D would be a really dignified closing of the APS-C DSLRS line of products before consumers and pros shift to mirrorless.

Can't be that difficult, can it?

Unfortunately, it can. Read through the discussion of the past several pages. The current state of physics prevent two objects from occupying the same space at the same time. 80D users love their flip out screens. 7D users love their joysticks and control wheels. There is not enough space for both without seriously compromising the ergonomics of the body. While I would jump at your suggestion, I'm afraid there would be a substantial number of 80D users who would not.

Upvote 0