Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

First, this is CR1. Second, throughput is not just about CPU performance. There are other bottlenecks of which the most critical is sensor readout speed. A throughput of 32Mpix*10fps is already much more than any other Canon camera besides the 1Dx and 1Dx2. One of the things that makes this rumor implausible.
Unless they have caught up and/or surpassed Sony's current sensor with this new design. They've known for a while their iterations of the same basic sensor was lacking in speed capabilities, and have been delayed (compared with the last decade) in releasing a new sensor design. I suspect they had hoped this was ready a year ago to put in the R. There has been at least a year fap in releasing new sensor base designs, the R and RP were just repackaged tweaked designs. 32 seems like a very large jump, buy it's all relative. It's only a 25% bump. The 18 to 24 bump that happened between 7dmkii and the 80d was the same percentage.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Unless they have caught up and/or surpassed Sony's current sensor with this new design. They've known for a while their iterations of the same basic sensor was lacking in speed capabilities, and have been delayed (compared with the last decade) in releasing a new sensor design. I suspect they had hoped this was ready a year ago to put in the R. There has been at least a year fap in releasing new sensor base designs, the R and RP were just repackaged tweaked designs. 32 seems like a very large jump, buy it's all relative. It's only a 25% bump. The 18 to 24 bump that happened between 7dmkii and the 80d was the same percentage.
Actually, the 7DII is 20 mp, as was the 70D, but your point is still valid.

Upvote 0
First, this is CR1. Second, throughput is not just about CPU performance. There are other bottlenecks of which the most critical is sensor readout speed. A throughput of 32Mpix*10fps is already much more than any other Canon camera besides the 1Dx and 1Dx2. One of the things that makes this rumor implausible.

The 5Ds/5DsR already have better throughput than the original 1DX and very close to the 1DXii. It's only a ~28% increase in system bandwidth to get to 10 fps @ 32.5MP and it would be really disappointing if you didn't see that much improvement going from dual DIGIC 6 process to dual DIGIC 8 processors.

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
If this had 120fps 1080p it would be an instant buy for me. I ended up picking up a Fuji X-T3 as a b-roll camera for its 120fps capabilities and am adapting my EF lenses to it with moderate success, but matching Fuji to Canon colors on my 5D4 has been a PITA. This would solve so many problems, which is exactly why I don't think Canon will do it. ;)

Upvote 0

pmjm

R5, 1DX Mk II, 5D Mk IV, four 90D's
Sep 8, 2016
You need twice the processing power to produce 4k60 over 4k30. That's a very real engineering barrier. People can be annoyed that low-tier cameras don't get 4k60, they can think it's a bad marketing idea, but it wouldn't be free. Free meaning not only cost, but possibly heat dissipation concerns as well.

Fuji offers 4k60 on their (similarly priced to this rumor) x-t3 body in both 8-bit x264 and 10-bit x265. Granted it's a different animal than a Canon, whose design has limitations due to legacy, but we're seeing these features more and more in competitors low-priced bodies and to remain competitive Canon really needs to figure this out.

Upvote 0
I have a R and an 80D - The R beets the 80D hands down for picture quality.
That goes to the "root" of the problem, but I disagree the 80D is definitely not a "potato"or "turnip". I just think that the "carrot" for me would be the 90D getting a tweaked updated focusing system of the 7D mark 2. As long as that and a nice "bulb" timer it will be planted firmly in the ground and be bought. ;-)

Sorry but I could not help myself :-D

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Well, to be honest, it makes it one of those things that make this rumor probable IMO.

a single DIGIC 8 is 240MP/sec, however, we need 325MP/sec. Dual DIGIC 8 should certainly allow for 1.33x greater throughput than a single DIGIC 8.

as far as other performance bottlenecks, I don't really think so. For instance, their 120MP sensor can do a full sensor readout at 9.4FPS and that's 120MP. scaled to full frame that sensor is 202MP or scaled to APS-C that sensor is a mind blowing 79MP.

They already have a 30MP sensor that does 8FPS full readout (EOS R), so 10fps isn't a stretch in terms of sensor raw throughput.

Atypically the problem is how fast you can process the data in your image processing CPU's because of heat and battery life.

the faster those CPU's have to run, the more heat, the more current,etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I know this isn't going to happen, but I always felt that the XXD series should be optimized for video and the 7D for stills. Give the 90D (or whatever) a flip screen and tune the performance and ergonomics for video (while still keeping it a quality stills camera). Put essentially the same guts into the 7DIII, but keep the 7D ergonomics (no flip screen).7DIII still capable camera for video, but primarily tuned for action, wildlife and stills. Shared components keep the costs down, while meeting the conflicting needs of buyers.

I really believe (based on my own use) that once we get full frame bodies above 32 mp., the benefits of the larger sensor will outweigh the perceived reach advantage of APS-C and the need/demand for the 7D series may fade away. Already, I find the additional megapixels of the 5D sufficient that, coupled with the multiple f8 focus points and better low light performance, have me going for the 5D over the 7D in anything but bright sunlight.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
I know this isn't going to happen, but I always felt that the XXD series should be optimized for video and the 7D for stills. Give the 90D (or whatever) a flip screen and tune the performance and ergonomics for video (while still keeping it a quality stills camera). Put essentially the same guts into the 7DIII, but keep the 7D ergonomics (no flip screen).7DIII still capable camera for video, but primarily tuned for action, wildlife and stills. Shared components keep the costs down, while meeting the conflicting needs of buyers.

I really believe (based on my own use) that once we get full frame bodies above 32 mp., the benefits of the larger sensor will outweigh the perceived reach advantage of APS-C and the need/demand for the 7D series may fade away. Already, I find the additional megapixels of the 5D sufficient that, coupled with the multiple f8 focus points and better low light performance, have me going for the 5D over the 7D in anything but bright sunlight.

I’ve thought the exact same thing! Also, remove the AA filter from the stills camera!

Upvote 0
With the ongoing decline in sales and the growth of the mirrorless market, one question is how many high end aps-c DSLR models Canon is going to roll out. If there is only going to be one high end aps-c DSLR, my guess is the feature set is going to be pretty robust in terms of AF and ergonomics. Not sure how close it might come to the 7DII in ruggedization. Would Canon ruggedize an aps-c DSLR or a M5II? It doesn't seem likely they would do both. The DSLR seems more likely to me, but I'm not sure why.

Well, again, it depends on the sales Canon has for the current models. If the 7 is selling well, that’s one thing, but if the 80 is selling well, then it’s another. We know that APS-C sales across the board are dropping faster then the high end models. This is for all manufacturers, but Canon’s sales last quarter were worse, mostly, apparently, because of fast dropping APS-C sales.

It’s difficult. Higher end FF cameras are doing fairly well, but not APS-C. It’s very possible that Canon is also losing some DSLR APS-C sales to the R and even the M lines.

I don’t know what to recommend, because I don’t have the data. None of us here do. We just talk about what we would want them to do, which is very different from what they should do. Other than a lucky guess, perhaps.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2018
Interested to see what the 1080p specs are. No mention so far.

The more I think about these specs the more they seem totally unrealistic, so you may as well make up whatever you want.

But given that 4K is ~4x the pixels of 1080p, if 4k60 is real, it would seem to imply that 1080p240 could be on the table (or at the very least 120 fps)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Come on. They didn’t use those words. Don’t be so literal. But they did say that they recognize that DSLRs on on a course where mirrorless will take over. They didn’t give a date.

Well, you see, that's the problem with playing fast and loose with information.

There is quite a bit of difference between:
...Besides, as we know, and Canon has themselves stated, DSLRs are on borrowed time...

...and projections that eventually mirrorless cameras may sell more units than DSLRs. One implies extinction...one does not.

As far as I know, Canon executives can not see into the future and have never claimed to have that particular super power. As a company responsible for protecting the interests of their investors and sustaining the viability of their business units, Canon seems to be positioning themselves to adapt to the market, wherever the market takes them.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The more I think about these specs the more they seem totally unrealistic, so you may as well make up whatever you want.

But given that 4K is ~4x the pixels of 1080p, if 4k60 is real, it would seem to imply that 1080p240 could be on the table (or at the very least 120 fps)

It's 4x the area, but only 2x the amount of lines. If there's a limited amount of lines per second that can be read from the sensor, which seems to be the case for Canon, 4k60 would mean 1080p120.

Upvote 0

Architect1776

Defining the poetics of space through Architecture
Aug 18, 2017
Williamsport, PA
No it does not.

For anybody that needs an action camera with (1) fast initial acquisation, (2) good tracking of erratically moving subjects and (3) still accomplish this under less-than-ideal circumstances, the number of AF-points really matters. And it also matters that they are all cross-type. And it also matters at what apertures (max and min) they still produce good outputs, i.e. that make a noticeable difference for firmware to work with.

No it does not.

Check the specs of those others, blows the D500 away.

Upvote 0
Yes I know that but the UHS-II are ridiculously expensive and not much much faster than CF UDMA 7 (150MB/sec write).

Amazon currently lists Lexar Professional 1000x (= 150MB/sec) UHS-II cards, 3.9/5 stars, priced 32GB @ $14.99, 64GB @ $16.95, 128GB @ $79.99. B&H carry those 32GB @ $14.99, 64GB @ $17.99, 128GB @ $27.99. This is far cry from "ridiculously expensive".

Upvote 0