Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

Well, you see, that's the problem with playing fast and loose with information.

There is quite a bit of difference between:

...and projections that eventually mirrorless cameras may sell more units than DSLRs. One implies extinction...one does not.

As far as I know, Canon executives can not see into the future and have never claimed to have that particular super power. As a company responsible for protecting the interests of their investors and sustaining the viability of their business units, Canon seems to be positioning themselves to adapt to the market, wherever the market takes them.
When Canon says, in interviews, that they don’t know how much longer DSLRs would be around, though they would be around for a number of years, that’s pretty much saying they’re on borrowed time. I think we all know, that the death of DSLRs is just a matter of time.

Obviously, Canon needs more lenses before more people will switch. Not everyone wants to use adapters. I see the DSLR contingent trying to convince the rest of us that DSLRs will be here forever.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
When Canon says, in interviews, that they don’t know how much longer DSLRs would be around, though they would be around for a number of years, that’s pretty much saying they’re on borrowed time. I think we all know, that the death of DSLRs is just a matter of time.

Obviously, Canon needs more lenses before more people will switch. Not everyone wants to use adapters. I see the DSLR contingent trying to convince the rest of us that DSLRs will be here forever.

You keep saying that, and I keep asking, where did Canon say they don't know how much longer DSLRs will be around? All I'm asking is that you point to such a statement.

And no, we do not all know that the death of DSLRs is just a matter of time. I guess in the Keynesian sense that "In the long run we are all dead" that is probably true. But, from a practical standpoint, it's just not possible to know today if mirrorless cameras will replace DSLRs or if the two will continue to coexist for at least the foreseeable future. All indications are that Canon is positioning itself to dominate in the market regardless. But, I am not aware that they have picked a side. You keep saying they have, and I just want to know where you are getting that.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
If this had 120fps 1080p it would be an instant buy for me. I ended up picking up a Fuji X-T3 as a b-roll camera for its 120fps capabilities and am adapting my EF lenses to it with moderate success, but matching Fuji to Canon colors on my 5D4 has been a PITA. This would solve so many problems, which is exactly why I don't think Canon will do it. ;)
Would you mind sharing which adapter you have been using and how well it works? I've been considering the Fringer but haven't ordered since they are in the process of switching over to a new V2 of their EF-FX Pro.

I have been using a K&F Concept adapter for my old manual focus Nikkor lenses. It works fine in it's limited way but I would prefer a fully functioning AF adaptor for my Canon lenses.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
We need a 7D Mark III...Canon needs to check with their base. The Nikon D850, although full frame, has a lot of features that would look good in the Mark III.
We do? You mean you need it. Believe you me, Canon has a finger on the pulse of their base. The base certainly isn't high end APS-C camera owners with $10,000 lenses. If that was the base, Canon would be doomed. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 22, 2019
I think the 2 big questions are whether it will have a multi-controller and a metal body? The xxD range used to have these features, and it would make sense if the 7D and xxD range were going to be amalgamated. These are the 2 features I missed most on the 70D and 80D and I'm enjoying again on the 7D mkII. It would be disappointing to step down to 45AF points after getting used to the 65 on the 7D mkII, but I could live with it. Also the other big question would be whether it had an AA filter? I'm betting that these are guesses based on the 32mp sensor info, and not a real leak or based on knowledge.

Upvote 0
I think we all know, that the death of DSLRs is just a matter of time.

The problem with a statement like this is, while it must be true, it is so open-ended as to be essentially meaningless. EVERYTHING has a finite lifespan. It's like the old quip Neuro likes to use about the Sun becoming a red giant and (potentially) swallowing the Earth. DSLRs will cease to be manufactured one day. But none of us - not even the companies making them - have much idea whether it will be five years or twenty (to pluck a couple of figures out of the air). Mirrorless, too, will be superseded. Your implication is that we're at the end of DSLRs already - that there may only be one or two more models. But there simply isn't the data, from sales or statements by the manufacturers, to support or refute that position. It's all supposition based on gut feeling.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Indeed: check the specs.

-Check the number of AF-points: the D500 has 153, the 7D Mk II has 65.

-Check the number of cross-type AF points: the D500 has 99, the 7D Mk II has 65.

-Check the number of f/8 AF-points: the D500 yes, the 7D Mk II no.

My 7D2 has one F/8 AF point. The 80D have a lot more.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The better Dynamic Range of the D500-body probably is important here (although many on this forum keep repeating that the difference in DR is minor or even that DR is hardly important: it is for action photography of air planes in less than ideal lighting).

I've shot airshows every year since before my first DSLR (the 10D) and never had a problem pushing shadows or skies, regardless of lighting, once I had gone digital. The only sports/action situation I've encountered which presented a challenge to sensor DR has been surfing, and as of the 7D that was basically a solved problem. (While pixel peeping the worst frames you could see noise in the darkest areas, but it never showed in print.)

Tell me you're shooting a beach sunset, sun in frame, foreground in shadow, on both a 7D2 and a D500 and I'll understand. Tell me you have DR issues when shooting airshows and I'm left scratching my head as to what's wrong because the 10D could handle that.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The problem with a statement like this is, while it must be true, it is so open-ended as to be essentially meaningless. EVERYTHING has a finite lifespan. It's like the old quip Neuro likes to use about the Sun becoming a red giant and (potentially) swallowing the Earth.

So once again, Canon is doomed.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
I for one don't hate cell phone cameras or selfies. Far more people have great fun with those than do the minority that use EOS.
A friend and his adult son did an extensive trip last fall to Morocco, Barcelona, a John Wesley tour of England, and a bunch of other places. The son documented the trip by taking selfies and shots of his dad. I could barely make out were they were because of the heads occupying most of the frame. I know what they both look like. Still, I was glad to get the updates. I just wished that I could have seen more of the places they visited.

I did try a selfie last year. Someone who knew I was going to the A10 conference tournament in Washington, DC, told me to take a selfie with Archie Bunker's chair. The results didn't inspire me to do any more selfies:
IMG_2187.jpg

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
A friend and his adult son did an extensive trip last fall to Morocco, Barcelona, a John Wesley tour of England, and a bunch of other places. The son documented the trip by taking selfies and shots of his dad. I could barely make out were they were because of the heads occupying most of the frame. I know what they both look like. Still, I was glad to get the updates. I just wished that I could have seen more of the places they visited.

I did try a selfie last year. Someone who knew I was going to the A10 conference tournament in Washington, DC, told me to take a selfie with Archie Bunker's chair. The results didn't inspire me to do any more selfies:
They clearly had sufficient fun to want to show you the selfies and you enjoyed getting updates. Perhaps a mutual trading of lessons in photographic techniques would be in order. Although not being a selfy man myself, I can see where the notorious selfy stick would be useful in expanding the background and reducing the size of heads.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Selfie sticks also give more distance from the shooter, and thus lessens the facial distortion. (We have page after page of discussion about 85mm lenses and slightly longer for related reasons largely.)

Yes, they had fun, and I enjoyed getting the reports. The dad and I will be traveling this fall around Italy for a couple weeks and then taking a Mediterranean cruise. I don’t know whether he plans to take his nice Nikon SLR. I’ll have my G7X II, and we’ll both have iPhones. I doubt there will be any selfies.

Upvote 0