Rest well Canon EOS 7D series [CR2]

Yes I expect here would have to be some electronic support for delivering the extra power. I doubt if Canon is going to be too forthcomming on how they get quick AF on their super tele's. Makes sense as a thought experiment though. Crank up the power to get things moving and then lower the gain to prevent jittery final focus.

At the time, Canon was trying to position the 7D2 as a mini-1DX so they might have been willing to share more than usual about the 7D2'/1Dx's AF in order to highlight the similarities. None of the info I've been able to track down seems all that accurate or reliable.

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
You can spin it however you want, but it is still very, very likely that Canon would have sold more cameras between circa 2014 and 2019 if their sensors performed at the same level in terms of readout speed as their competitors' do and Canon had leveraged that performance to offer things such as uncropped and higher frame rate high resolution video. It's also a near certainty that Canon could have sold more 7D Mark III units over the last 18-24 months or so than the number of 7D Mark II units they have sold if the only real improvement had been putting the 80D sensor in the 7D body.

This is a bit meaningless in that its like saying if Canon could have made a camera that had 8K video and could shoot at 40FPS for the same price point they would have sold more. Its true but it assumes their main concern is sales and technical superiority, rather than profitability.

As a result its not a 'near certainty' that it was worth it to them to release a 7DIII with an 80D sensor, as the market in recent years is very different to when the 7D came out. The D500 has been very well received in enthusiast areas but whether its a great moneymaker is a whole different story. I think this whole area might be moving a bit into the APS-H area, where it will be sorely missed by some groups, but not what works well in todays market.

I mean you could be right too. But to me its all guessing in the end.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I think this is another one of those instances where the 7D/D500 toting crowd makes up a bigger part of this type of forum than it does real world camera users.

Canon is in the business of making money. If they think there is profit in a 7D 3, I’m sure they will make it. If not, well...

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
What makes you think what I post here is any kind of appeal to Canon's decision makers? Their choice has fairly obviously been made. What I'm posting here is not an attempt to alter their business strategy. I'm merely making personal observations about what I think may be the possible motivations behind those decisions.

Trying to influence Canon's business plan would be a total waste of time.

Apparently, so is trying to explain to those who do not shoot the use cases for which many have found cameras such as the 7D Mark II very useful why things that many of those non-users think would be just as useful for those use cases aren't actually as useful as they might think.

Whoosh.

Have a nice weekend, Michael.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I think this is another one of those instances where the 7D/D500 toting crowd makes up a bigger part of this type of forum than it does real world camera users.

Canon is in the business of making money. If they think there is profit in a 7D 3, I’m sure they will make it. If not, well...

It is probably true - but in terms of high margin lens sales (for high performance lenses) - it’s the prosumers and pros that I suspect disproportionally fork out - and they probably have 7Ds, 5Ds and 1Dx’s. As a 7Dii and 5Diii owner (and 5 L series lenses) - I am pretty confused by the next options. Hopefully all will come clear soon.

I don’t envy the job of the Canon product managers right now.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks

Exactly right!

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
Doesn't make sense to kill the 7D badge in favor of the n0D name. What happens after 90D, 100D is already taken, 91D?
Doesn't make sense to kill an open ended name like 7D in favor of n0D which has nowhere to go. Might as well kill both now and move on.

What happens next is the grave for the 7d and xxd lines in favor of mirrorless.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
I'm just waiting to click the buy button on two lenses for the 2x 7DmkIIs I have or, start moving to a new platform from another vendor. Other than just going cold turkey and switching to the Sony A9 or a Nikon D850 , there are not many options left. Waiting for the 1dxmk3 release for a better used market price on the 1dxmk2 isn't one of them as my trust in Canon is dwindling. The current R line is not ready and I'm hesitant to spend on the new mount before any reliable sports (and general all around) mirrorless cam is released. It's too soon to drop the 7D line. Let's see if the 90D specs are better than rumors project them to be.

I think you are pretty safe to click that buy button. These changes take years and the equipment you have today doesn’t stop working when a new product comes out. If the concern is over supportability, look at what canon covers on their cps page for repairs. They still have the 5d Mark II there and many old lenses.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
May 11, 2017

Putting it another way, how many new camera types is Canon going to make with high pixel density sensors to cover both aps-c and fullframe and what AF specs will they have?

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
so canon's idealogy is, listen to what your customers would like and then don't give it to them or give them something else.
Unfortunately I have to admit that it sure sound like that. Most 7D users liked to see a new 7D in the horizon and not a mirrorless replica, which, in my opinion, is a wired hybrid which don't really answer any of their needs and also stumble over the M series.

Upvote 0
I think you are pretty safe to click that buy button. These changes take years and the equipment you have today doesn’t stop working when a new product comes out. If the concern is over supportability, look at what canon covers on their cps page for repairs. They still have the 5d Mark II there and many old lenses.
The concern is more of staying within the playing field of the Sony A9, Nikon 850 and the like. Competitors are getting cleaner files at higher ISOs. I'd like to keep my Canon lenses but the 1dxII isn't something I can afford at the moment. Even when the 1dxIII is released and the used II market opens up, my trust in Canon would have dwindled by then. The 5dmkIV files are beautiful compared to the 7DmkIIs (which is showing it's age) but for sports , the 5D lacks a bit.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Unfortunately I have to admit that it sure sound like that. Most 7D users liked to see a new 7D in the horizon and not a mirrorless replica, which, in my opinion, is a wired hybrid which don't really answer any of their needs and also stumble over the M series.
I think it's a bit premature. This is a rumors site and Canon has announced nothing yet. True, manufacturers never give each and every customer exactly what they want. But, successful companies (and Canon is one of the most successful) find a way to check off enough boxes to entice the majority of customers. Let's see what happens before the hand wringing begins.

Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
Belated congratulations!! Sorry, I guess I missed the global election where you were chosen to represent ‘most 7D users’.
Belated congratulations!! Sorry, I guess I missed the global election where you were chosen to represent ‘most 7D users’.
you can read the posts and get the notion...

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Once you have had it, you can't go back.
Went to Italy 1 week ago, to hike in the alps. My bag was heavy, from EF 14 prime to 100/ 400 mm zoom.2 Bodies, 5 d IV plus Leica M.
In the end, for 90% of the pictures, only 2 lenses were used: Summilux ASPH 35 mm and EF 100/400 IS II, the lens I hesitated to take along.
THE indispensable lens !!!! Sharp, rugged , from near macro up to tele, a wonderful lens. :love::love::love::love::love::love:

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012

I think the real problem is more that its not about 'most 7D users' even if it were true, its a stage in the market where its about 'most users', and where a 7D2 followup fits into that.

Upvote 0
Struggling with the idea of an APS-C EOS R – would there be an RF-S mount (a fifth mount for current Canon cameras)? If not, lenses are needlessly large (e.g. the patented 17-70mm f/3.5-5.6 lens would be great for APS-C, but it has a FF image circle and could be significantly smaller with a smaller image circle). Does Canon expect users of an APS-C EOS R would just adapt EF-S lenses? Defeats the purpose of a small body, IMO.

I can certainly see Canon merging the xxD and 7D lines into a 90D that looks a lot like the current 7DII, perhaps with a video feature upgrade, enhanced AF and 12 fps.
I am very late on this reply. I too can't see a 5th mount. Even 4 mounts makes it hard to imagine Canon's strategy.

So here are some thoughts but feel free to enlighten me.
I understand why Nikon changed mounts. They were losing the war and had ties to a legacy mount that was making it hard to keep up.
Sony has the E mount that works for both FF and APS C . The A mount has lost the internal battle at Sony.

Now Canon brings out the R mount. It seems that it would have been safer to make a mirrorless EF with some added new contacts. The new lenses could have been backwards compatible to all EF cameras but with enhanced capabilities on a mirrorless body. I think they could have done that. So I don't fully understand the R mount from a marketing standpoint.
Does the R mount allow them to compete with medium format? Would they bother to put a APS-C sensor in an R body.
Do they see the market needing two mounts? Do they think most EF-S users will go to the M with the exception of 7D users. It seems they want to force the EF-s lens owners to choose M or R. Please help me because I can't read these tea leaves.

Upvote 0

wsmith96

Advancing Amateur
Aug 17, 2012
Texas
The concern is more of staying within the playing field of the Sony A9, Nikon 850 and the like. Competitors are getting cleaner files at higher ISOs. I'd like to keep my Canon lenses but the 1dxII isn't something I can afford at the moment. Even when the 1dxIII is released and the used II market opens up, my trust in Canon would have dwindled by then. The 5dmkIV files are beautiful compared to the 7DmkIIs (which is showing it's age) but for sports , the 5D lacks a bit.

I can see your point. I agree with you on the 5D Mark IV files also. I shoot a lot of indoor high school volleyball and needed a camera that could do well in poorly lit gyms. I sold my 80D and upgraded to the Mk4. I've never had a fast camera (10fps+) so I've always had to time my shots when shooting sports. The 5D doesn't do bad at all at action shots. I haven't tried it yet, but there's also that 8Mpix 4k video stills mode that captures at 30 fps on the Mk 4. Maybe that would work for you depending what you are shooting.

Have you considered a used 1DX? Maybe that can hit your price point and it's been a workhorse for professional sports photographers for some time. It's not the latest and greatest, but the image quality is still quite good.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...I too can't see a 5th mount. Even 4 mounts makes it hard to imagine Canon's strategy...
Do they see the market needing two mounts? Do they think most EF-S users will go to the M with the exception of 7D users. It seems they want to force the EF-s lens owners to choose M or R. Please help me because I can't read these tea leaves.

My personal view – I am not inclined to buy anything but EF mount lenses.

I rented an R a month ago. I have another job coming up in September where the R would be a good choice (I need something quieter than the 1DxII to pair with my 5DIV. ) I might go ahead and buy an R if there are good deals at the time, or if Canon has announced something better, I may hold off and rent again. Even though my GAS would push me toward an RF lens, it just doesn't make sense for me. I need lenses that can pair with both bodies. I don't want to carry around two 24-105 lenses or two 70-200 lenses (my most used lenses).

Same with any other RF lens. I routinely carry two bodies, one with the 24-105 and one with the 70-200. I need the lenses and bodies to be interchangeable, so that means EF lenses. Fortunately, the adapter works great. Canon has said the EF mount isn't going anywhere. So, as long as I own at least one DSLR body, I will be buying EF lenses.

Unless you are ready to completely drop DSLRs and use only R bodies, I don't think RF lenses are a good investment. I'm not interested in the M series. Maybe if Canon made a 7D style body in the M mount I would consider it, but I doubt that will happen.

Right now, only one mount fits everything and that is EF. I expect that within a few years, if Canon doesn't do it, someone is going to reverse engineer the RF mount and come out with an adapter that lets people mount RF lenses to EF bodies. There are those on this forum that say it's impossible. Maybe they are right, but in my experience those kinds of claims are often superseded by reality. I think Canon may do it, because they may find they have a whole series of cool R lenses that no one buys because they can't use them on their DSLRs.

Just my opinion, but my opinion is the safest route is to stick with EF mount lenses.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0