Canon EOS 90D Specification List [CR1]

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I found it to be pretty flaky with the 7D. But then again, I found the entire AF system of my 7D to be pretty flaky. The shot-to-shot variation was ridiculous. What good does it do to make such a highly configurable AF system if it can't decide whether to front-focus or back-focus from one frame to the next!

It works much better for me with the 7D Mark II and the 5D Mark III than it did with the 7D.
Agree 100%. The AF on the 7D was awful with it for some lenses and, for example, would not reliably AF with my 300mm f/2.8 II + 2xTCIII, as others found to their cost. But, that was cured with the 7DII and I found the 5DS R even better. The 7DII only has the centre AF for f/8, and only the centre point is a high precision one. Canon has the technology for upgrading the 7DII, and it is frustrating it doesn't do so.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
You are correct. I don't know what I was looking at when I looked it up last night.

yes, I figured you just slipped ;)

I have pretty good luck with focusing using the 80D, I actually really am impressed with its focusing capability. I'm not shooting a lot of fast action stuff, but a lot of birds and some aircraft taking off and landing etc etc. I often use the center point at f/8 with my Sigma 150-600mm and my success rate I would guess is about 80% to 90% keepers. (in decent light). My 70-300mm IS USM L-Lens is on my 80D probably 90% of the time and I never have hardly any issues with focusing, either one shot or the center 9.

I'm not very familiar with using the 7D Mark ii but using the 80D now for almost 3 years, I really love the camera and it handles almost everything I throw at it. I've never had an issue with the 45pts being clumped together either. I personally think Canon hit a home-run with the 80D, it's really fun to use and a great camera.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

I have pretty good luck with focusing using the 80D, I actually really am impressed with its focusing capability. I'm not shooting a lot of fast action stuff, but a lot of birds and some aircraft taking off and landing etc etc. I often use the center point at f/8 with my Sigma 150-600mm and my success rate I would guess is about 80% to 90% keepers. (in decent light). My 70-300mm IS USM L-Lens is on my 80D probably 90% of the time and I never have hardly any issues with focusing, either one shot or the center 9.

I'm not very familiar with using the 7D Mark ii but using the 80D now for almost 3 years, I really love the camera and it handles almost everything I throw at it. I've never had an issue with the 45pts being clumped together either. I personally think Canon hit a home-run with the 80D, it's really fun to use and a great camera.

You are right about the 80D: it has been an outstanding all-rounder camera, and it has set a very high bar for what might well be the last Canon x0D DSLR. Though a body with this CR1 list of specs would certain qualify a 90D as the ultimate prosumer Canon DSLR, this specs list occupies enough of the potential 7D Mark III niche to lend support to rumors that there will be a single replacement, merging both the x0D and 7D series.

Upvote 0

Michael Clark

Now we see through a glass, darkly...
Apr 5, 2016

At f/8 I would expect the keeper ratio to be very close to 100% in decent light with a 7D Mark II. I get 80% or better in bad high school football stadium light at f/2.8. The 80D is a very capable all around camera, in several ways superior to the 7D mark II, but its AF system is not at the same level as the 7D Mark II's.

Upvote 0
It should be M5 mark II.

Canon and Nikon, always looking to the past.
Considering the amount of lenses that are currently in possesion of so many photographers, it wouldn't make sense just to switch formats without giving the current owners of the EF-S some lovin'. I fully intend on selling my 6D and 80D to get the 90D, or whatever it's called.
I have a 6D MkII so a 90D would be the last thing I need for now in the camera arena. When prices come down for the "R" cameras, I will use an adapter, but now I would like to move on with my DSLR format, as I see nothing wrong with the current pictures I am capturing with my cameras at this point in time.

Upvote 0
Considering the amount of lenses that are currently in possesion of so many photographers, it wouldn't make sense just to switch formats without giving the current owners of the EF-S some lovin'. I fully intend on selling my 6D and 80D to get the 90D, or whatever it's called.
I have a 6D MkII so a 90D would be the last thing I need for now in the camera arena. When prices come down for the "R" cameras, I will use an adapter, but now I would like to move on with my DSLR format, as I see nothing wrong with the current pictures I am capturing with my cameras at this point in time.

You can use EF-S lens with a lens adapter on a 'future' 5M mk II, for example.
DSLR are now so old as SLR are. I know really clear that I will not buy any other DSLR.

Upvote 0
As tests show the RP's UHS II slot is faster than CF, it's high time Canon replaced the 2nd CF slot with SD.
Sorry but CF is superior to SD. There's more to it than speed. I'll agree that SD is more convenient since lots of other gear has a SD card slot built-in but CF is better in many ways.

CF is Faster, more rugged, easier to manipulate in the fingers and label. The biggest downside to CF are the pins in the camera being susceptible to damage but the format is otherwise a solid solution. All those pins are for more grounds which helps with a more reliable data transfer. CF uses a more efficient parallel interface (like a PATA hard drive) as opposed to the serial transfer of SD. And if you want even faster, CFast is extremely fast and it fixed the pin issue with a much better connector.

IMHO - CF is for professionals and SD is for consumers. I assume that's why the bigger more pro cameras have CF or CFast and the consumer Rebel and smaller cameras use SD. (I realize it can also be a size constraint.)

Ultimately, in this day and age, it doesn't really matter. It all works and gets the job done. But I prefer CF and I doubt it will go away in the larger cameras.

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2014
Sorry but CF is superior to SD. There's more to it than speed. I'll agree that SD is more convenient since lots of other gear has a SD card slot built-in but CF is better in many ways.

CF is Faster, more rugged, easier to manipulate in the fingers and label. The biggest downside to CF are the pins in the camera being susceptible to damage but the format is otherwise a solid solution. All those pins are for more grounds which helps with a more reliable data transfer. CF uses a more efficient parallel interface (like a PATA hard drive) as opposed to the serial transfer of SD. And if you want even faster, CFast is extremely fast and it fixed the pin issue with a much better connector.

1. Sorry, CF isn't faster anymore. E.g. this writing speed test for EOS-R shows SD cards written faster than CF's maximal writing speed. Yes, I know those speeds aren't guaranteed, but one can avoid the situations in which they aren't.

2. All those pins are a big downside, e.g. I had to pay a nice sum of money to fix my camera when one of those got bent.

3. Reliable data transfer? As in, you get more data errors when saving images to SD than to CF? You've got some source to support that claim?

4. Yes, CFast is faster than CF. It is also a serial bus, like a SATA hard drive. Its easier to get faster when you don't need to keep all those parallel pins in sync.

And if you want even faster, CFast is extremely fast and it fixed the pin issue with a much better connector.

I wasn't talking about CFast.

IMHO - CF is for professionals and SD is for consumers. I assume that's why the bigger more pro cameras have CF or CFast and the consumer Rebel and smaller cameras use SD. (I realize it can also be a size constraint.)

Oh, yes, pro cameras will use CF or CFast, as in they will have the later, and the former will disappear.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
Those specs look a bit too good to be true. It would be a fairly large step up from the 80D (even if not that interesting an offering for current 7D2 users). The dual card slots and processors I’m especially dubious of, given the price bracket. But I guess even Canon could surprise us every once in a while.

Edit: Missed the 4K@60fps! I believe it when I see it.

Turns out this was a surprisingly accurate rumor, excepting the aforementioned dubious things =)

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Just got back from Costa Rica and all I could see was 7Diis, 80Ds, 5D4s, a couple of 1D serieses, Nikon D500s and the like.. (One guy I got chatting to had the Nikon 500mm pf.. Uhh the envy..) But I’d say the most common body of all was the 7Dii.

The few people I did see using mirrorless cameras where the type that take a photo of a sloths arse from 50 meters away with a kit lens. Think I saw like 1 Sony.
Don’t laugh. But, I have just returned from the Ecuadorean Amazon and there was a guy there with a Leica M and one of those pretty little lenses at the top of a bird tower trying to take a photo of a sloth at 50m!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Feb 7, 2019
UK
Don’t laugh. But, I have just returned from the Ecuadorean Amazon and there was a guy there with a Leica M and one of those pretty little lenses at the top of a bird tower trying to take a photo of a sloth at 50m!

Nice camera, very, very wrong situation!

Was it the green tower by Sani lodge by any chance?!

How was galapagos?

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Nice camera, very, very wrong situation!

Was it the green tower by Sani lodge by any chance?!

How was galapagos?
Napo EcoLodge. Galapagos and Ecuador were fantastic. We went from sea level at the Amazon to 4000m in the Andes. I have posted a few images in the Bird Portrait thread and in the 90D Full Specification thread.

Upvote 0