Check out Stephanie's comment

What is a Nikon Z5?

I think that's a typo.

- A

Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
Canonrumor and forums say EOS Rs come is February 2020 for the last 10 months.........

Reading R5 specs, I think Canon are seeing their mirrorless is the future of mainstream video cameras and high resolution stills doesn't fit with that philosophy.
I think what Canon has figured out, finally, is that there is a whole new generation of photographers coming into the market these days that grew up in a video world. It makes good business sense to address their wants at the same time they hang on to the older and legacy Canon stills shooters. If anything, the demand for high-end video is driving a lot of the stills camera tech, to our benefit. And I think that’s a good thing for us all. The video capabilities clearly push the hardware — sensor and processing — envelop to everyone’s benefit and the rest is mostly software coding. Building it all into a single body likely reduces the end price by increasing the economies of scale. Look at what we are getting today v 5-10 years ago at about the same price and less. Canon can’t afford to simply ride out with the last generation of shooters (including me). If I were a shareholder, I’d be thrilled with these new developments.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Do attractive video features fit with 80MP sensors is my point and possibly why after all this time we are getting an R5 rather tha the RS?

The suggested July release seems like an awfully long time for a totally ready for market camera.

Or is it July because one (R5) just leap frogged another (RS)?

Yeah, I think the R5 moved ahead of the RS on the release timeline. It's intended for a much broader market than the RS, and (with Canon's statement from their recent financial report in mind) the R5 will cover more ground in regaining market share in the mirrorless space.

My hunch is that the RS was initially going to come first because it has been so long since the 5DS was released. From a product refresh perspective, it makes sense that it would be next. From a serious-about-recapturing-marketshare perspective, though, the R5 and R6 (especially as-rumored) have become an urgent priority.

I'm convinced an RS is still coming -- and likely this year (I just can't see Canon letting Sony wear the resolution crown much longer)...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

reefroamer

CR Pro
Jun 21, 2014
With all these new camera's coming out the only one I was waiting on was a 7D Mark iii :(
I think you may be waiting a long time. Maybe forever. Just because there is a 1DX3 or 5D4 or 7D2 doesn’t mean there has to be a 1DX4 or 5D5 or 7D3. New things happen. The market moves on and it changes. Successful businesses adapt or disappear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Canon releases 5D4 at $3300ish. Canon releases 5DS at about the same price.

The 5-series is almost defined as 1) being an FF ILC and 2) costing around $3500:
5D: 3299​
5D2: 2699​
5D3: 3499​
5DS: 3699
5DSR: 3899
5D4: 3299​

They refresh the 5D line every 4 years with new tech -- as if by design -- to reclaim that price point.

My hypothesis is that the R5 is the 5D5 (two cams, same specs), and both will be made available at more or less that $3499 point. I could be wrong.

- A

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Well, like it or not, in the professional world, photographers are losing jobs and places that used to staff photographers no longer do, but video jobs are exploding - and many of them are on the lower-end of the professional world (internal video teams for business, small 2-3 person production companies, social media teams, news documentary makers, Youtube channels, etc) and those people use mirrorless cameras. And many of them use GH5s, A7-series, Fuji XT3, etc. Yes, Canon DSLRs and EOS R are out there, but not nearly as many as the manufacturers that have been hitting mirrorless video hard for 5+ years.

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
This chart shows 5Ds lags 1.1 stops behind 5DIV and 1.9 (!) stops from A7RIV.

We were discussing high ISO performance, not base ISO DR.

1/3 or even 2/3 stop improvement won't be enough to take me in tbh. If it's at least as good as 5DIV it'll be ok, but otherwise I'll probably switch to Sony...

With regard to base ISO DR: can you show us, with real world photographs, what the difference on that chart means to the human eye?

For the record I imagine the R5 will have similar base ISO DR to the 5D IV. Canon's 5D IV sensor is capable of matching the best Sony/Nikon sensors on DR but loses about 1 stop due to the dual pixel AF configuration. This is why you can take a dual pixel RAW and extend DR by about 1ev.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I just cannot fathom that Canon would backslide on DR. The 5D4 isn’t really class leading, but it did put a nail in the coffin of the argument that canon “can’t” offer a competitive sensor.

+1. They can't backslide, but they sure can stay in neutral -- sometimes deliberately -- to keep pricier things more exciting.

"Let's make a new sensor for the 6D2 with new resolution... but leave out that on-chip hotness to [save cost, protect the 5D4, whatever]. 2008 sensor latitude in a new 2016 product? Nice! Profits high-five time!

But crop sensors that cost much less than the 6D? Whoa now, they need that new sensor hotness. We're not monsters."

Screen Shot 2020-01-30 at 9.58.08 AM.png

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Does it really matter beyond 6 or 7 stops of stabilization? At some point it's just about silly magic numbers.

Of course it does! Much like resolution, fps, etc. more is better. Pushing limits is a good thing.

Every stop of IS is one less notch of ISO you need to crank up for low light or one less aperture stop towards wide open you have to use when shooting without a tripod.

Take a handheld nightscape of (say) a city skyline or church interior with a 2.8 zoom. Do you really want to take that at ISO 6400 f/2.8 with just IS when you could take that same shot at ISO 400 f/2.8 (for better DR, noise, etc.) or ISO 6400 f/11 (for sunstars, more working field) now that you have IBIS?

If you are slammed up against the limits of your circumstance in how/when/what you shoot and you can't turn up the lights or use a tripod, IS is certifiable gold -- provided your subect isn't moving.

- A

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
Hi!

Don't worry, that's just another of this Brexit lies. At least until the end of 2020 everything will stay the same (OK, some people are kicked out off the EU parliament), but the UK will trade, travel and pay with Europe like before. If grey imports are a good solution is another topic.
BTW: I don't believe these specifications until Canon confirms them.
What lies? I know that until the end of this year everything will remain the same.
Do you know what import/export limitations between UK and EU will exist or not after the end of this year? Of course I want to believe and and not worry but we will know that in a few months.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
I was waiting for someone to ask.

Theory: R5 gets the tilty-flippy and the identically spec'd 5D5 doesnt (just a touchscreen).

- A
Paradoxically I like this thought maybe because having both 5D4 and EOS R I am used to this combination! Not saying right or wrong just used to it!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0