Canon EOS R5 Specifications

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
I disagree unfortunately. I think the last new DSLR by Canon has already been introduced.

No doubt -- mirrors RIP!

I think this take above will stand the test of t---

Oh.

Shucks. :rolleyes:

- A

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

pj1974

80D, M5, 7D, & lots of glass and accessories!
Oct 18, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I
Guys please push harder. It's almost 50 pages and 1000 comments. Break the record!

'Canon is doomed' isn't really working anymore, 'Why I will/won't buy this camera' comments don't help much as they don't produce a lot of responses (who cares why you won't buy it), but Dynamic Range, Photography as Art question and the Need for IBIS can help tremendously. "You don't need this feature" also produces a lot of traffic. Go go go!

I'm doing my bit for the betterment of mankind (and humankind lol), for society, and the planet... by contributing multiple posts in this tread.

So, I already wrote about "why I possibly might buy this camera" - and had some nice interaction- some pages back... now to focus on more hard hitting comment-attracting themes, such as 1. DR, 2. Photography as Art and 3. Need for IBIS! ... lol
Don't forget 4. the FF vs APS-C topic and related sub-themes, such as 'equivalence' and 'dof', etc... lots of comments from there too. :p

1. I really found a big jump in ability to push shadows and highlights in my 80D compared to all previous DSLRs.
I look forward to the RS being an incremental improvement on the 80D sensor.... if it's somewhat better (even say 0.5-1.0 Ev better than the current best Canon FF sensor, it'll be neat. But if not, that's not a game changer (for me).

2. Thankfully I feel that photography is often art in both the eye of the photographer, and in those of the viewer/s...
How I engage with a subject (still, moving, human, animal, plant or other) is often greatly determined by the viewfinder (yes seriously) - if I feel confident and comfortable in what I'm viewing, it impacts the ability to get the shot, because my creative juices can take over (the more dry technical / essential composition aspects)

3. I have many EF lenses, including some great L glass... as well as a few EF-S lenses (I'm not ashamed to admit to having and using)... I am so thrilled the way that Canon has made the EF-RF adapter, so I can use all these lenses on the EOS R and EOS RP, respectively.
That I can use legacy EF and EF-S lenses at their full potential is huge... and to add IBIS will change certain photos that I have to date been unable to effectively get (without a tripod in particular).
IBIS will really benefit so many of them, especially my lenses which do not have stabilisation, e.g. the 50mm f/1.8 STM, etc.
If canon can make IBIS work WITH the ILIS in EF lenses (as well as the ILIS of RF lenses) - so both gain a stop or few advantage of stabilisation... well, now THAT would be very cool!

4. I love the size of my 80D, and I also own a 7D. I have used a number of 5D cameras and 1D cameras over time too. 80D is pretty much my ideal camera size.. a bit lighter would be fine, but the weight is ok. The ergonomics of the EOS R aren't 'terrible' - but they definitely don't work for me as well as DSLRs. To have the FF sensor size advantage - but in a camera body about the size / weight of a 80D, would be great. (I also own a M5 by the way).
No FF camera ever tempted me to move from APS-C to FF (yet) - but as I saw the "Canon going FF mirrorless, with a new lens mount" writing on the wall several years ago, I held out till the right body would arrive... the R5 looks to be it.

Ok... that should do it for now... feel free to reply, quote and comment on my post, so we reach the 1000 comment and 50 pages full mark SOON! :love:

PJ

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I guess if the highest throughout of any ILC like ever, a 15mp bump, a whole host of AF improvements, access to the best mount in photography, 5 stops of stabilization on all your current glass, etc is a yawner then congrats on not needing to drop $4K on a new camera.

I am confident that the rest of the things you mentioned will be improvements over the 5D series as well.
What you seem to not see is that all this just a high end two year old Sony. Canon users will be stuck with this for five years, while Sony etc take off again. I've owned the best Canon body the offer, since 1975. Through a lot of that period they WERE the best available. That's all I'm saying: lead, put it all together, crush the opposition in still cameras. That's all. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
My first DSLR was the Canon D6, around 1998, I think. It was about $2,000 and had a 6MP APSC-sized sensor. I didn’t even know what dynamic range was. I forget the FPS, but not much. I put a grand down at the local camera store — remember those? — and waited about nine months for it because of the back orders. Three months after I picked it up, Canon announced the improved and cheaper 10D. It’s really been an amazing photographic ride ever since.

Hang on D60 was announced in 2002 and was replaced by 10D in 2003.
I couldn't find D6 but there was D6000 in 1998, but it was well before 10D.

Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
No doubt. Mirrors RIP. I think this take will stand the test of t---

Oh.

- A
Your thoughts and prayers only go so far, money talks.....Canon will tell you whether the dslr is gone or not, not some forum pundit.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Maybe it's that Euro/USA/Japanese naming scheme disfunction? It might have been known here as the Rebel XT2000 ll

I think in 1998 there was only D6000 (in collaboration with Kodak) but it's APS-H and was 5 years before 10D, so doesn't match the story.
D60 is a better fit in terms of the described specs and it was quickly succeeded by 10D, but it was 2002.

It's an intriguing mystery and it needs clarification! I didn't even know about D6000 and D60 before this thread, that's why I started to look them up.

My first digital camera was some PowerShot in 2006, first DSLR was 550D in 2010. 550D was producing great quality images compared to the Powershot, but I mainly used it in Auto and P modes. Real fun and journey into the depths of digital skills mastery started with 70D later on.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
No doubt -- mirrors RIP!

I think this take above will stand the test of t---

Oh.

- A

Sorry if I haven't been clear. I have been referring to DSLR in context of full frame cameras and lenses (EF vs R lenses, 5d vs R5) not consumer grade introductory cameras and EF-S lenses.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
Sorry if I haven't been clear. I have been referring to DSLR in context of full frame cameras and lenses (EF vs R lenses, 5d vs R5) not consumer grade introductory cameras and EF-S lenses.

I appreciate the clarification. I respectfully disagree.

I still think the 1-series and to a lesser degree the 5-series will see a few more mirrored updates.

A new 5DS? Maybe one more before the mirror dies.

A new 7D? Pray for R7.

A new 90D? Enjoy your EOS M6 Mk III.

- A

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
Hang on D60 was announced in 2002 and was replaced by 10D in 2003.
I couldn't find D6 but there was D6000 in 1998, but it was well before 10D.
Yep, the Camera Museum is always the place to seek these queries. https://global.canon/en/c-museum/product/dslr781.html
My first dslr was the 300D Rebel, it was film and the Nikon FM and EOS 3 until (and after) that point. At the time (2002) I thought the 1D series was the only digital SLR's out and didn't know about the Dx series until later. Then I started lusting after the XXD's....No CR back then for GAS stories, lol.

Upvote 0

PureClassA

Canon since age 5. The A1
CR Pro
Aug 15, 2014
Mandeville, LA
Shields-Photography.com
Too small. I used one and though it was an upgrade both in grip chunkyness and (critically) distance from the mount to the A7 line, I still missed the grip and feel of my 5D3 (and I have ordinary sized hands).

I think Canon may have hedged on the last few years' 'mirrorless is all about small vs. all about being better than an SLR' debate, and they brought forth a body that would not offend either camp. The results are in. People are putting huge pickle jars on these bodies and want more of them. The entire EF line has ceased with new lens offerings = everything is headed to RF. It appears that the 'big' camp won.

A smaller FF body will follow, but there will be zero interest in it until we get a line of tiny RF lenses. So I'm hoping 'keep it small' folks get their small lenses... but until that time, I'd like a chunky 5D3 grip and thumbwheel, please. :)

- A
It’s not too bad. And normally shoot with a DX2 lol! Yes, I would MUCH prefer Canon retain the 5D form factor and just push the sensor forward to make proper flange distance. Either way all the FF R bodies Im betting will share the same frame going forward (apart from the 1RX .... oooo!!! Crap did I just leak the name of the DX4 ?)

Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
Looks like everyone was discussing what concerns them the most. I was more concerned about the base ISO DR.

You specifically asked me about my prediction regarding high ISO noise.

We've already gone through it in other threads. 2 stop difference is huge. 1.1 stops is quite noticeable.

You've offered this opinion but you've never actually offered photographic examples.

But ok, here's an example. This image was shot using ETTR. Before editing, the rocks were almost completely black and the sky looked blown out (but wasn't).
I lifted the shadows by about 1.5 stops. I'd have gotten very noisy shadows on a camera with s 2-stop poorer performance than my 5DIV.

Are you kidding? Do I need to pull out the 7D Zion shot with a 2.5ev shadow push? 1.5ev is within the DR of any camera made since...hell, I think my 10D could have handled it.

No, DPRSplit tool doesn't really work, it often spoils highlights and can't be relied upon.

Never the less it pretty conclusively shows that the 5D IV being roughly 1ev behind the gen 3 A7's and Nikon D8x0's is due to the DPAF arrangement. That's bad news if you want Canon to match Sony on a chart because Canon is not abandoning DPAF.

Upvote 0

Rule556

I see no reason for recording the obvious. -Weston
Dec 19, 2019
Seattle
www.flickr.com
It's just a categorization. Everything that is listed as an "art" in most lists involves creating the "thing" that's produced or reproduced in your head - except photography. To me, that's an indication there's something wrong with the categorization.

This is where we disagree. I work under the following paradigm: Art is not merely a category. It is also an action. An avocation. A drive. It is an abstract, subjective idea that the social sciences have been trying to define objectively, since the first shaman brushed ochre on the walls of their caves. It is the human desire to create. Art is not defined by the medium. It is not even defined by the artist. It is ultimately a human trait that is as varied as we are.

Personally, I use photography to highlight the beauty that is in the world that most people never stop to see. The way I compose an image highlights a scene in a specific way, to give a viewer a specific feeling. Wether I’m successful or not is irrelevant. It satisfies my desire to create something and evoke an emotion from another human. That’s art to me. The process. The ritual combination of skill, technology, imagination, and if you’re lucky, talent, that encompasses the actualization of the creative desire.

I believe that it is hubris to think that we can define such an abstract and subjective human drive with objective evidence and logic. Yet, at the same time I understand the human desire to define complex systems.

I think people are just having a hard time with your definition because each of us perceives and defines art differently.

Ultimately we’re all photographers. Some of us just majored in liberal arts instead of computer engineering.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0