Round-up: All of the rumored Canon gear to appear over the last week

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018
I haven’t REALLY paid attention to the R5 and R6 yet. But, I read that the R6 might be a successor of the 6d? Is that the case when it might have 12/20 fps? Seems weird ...

I'm gonna keep banging this drum until we know more, but don't be fooled by the "R6" designation yet. We don't know it has anything to do with the 6D line of cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
The answer could be that this 24MP sensor has been produced using the same material, production process and basic design as the 90D sensor. Consequently, due to the 24MP's larger pixels, this should result in noticably lower noise compared to the 90D sensor!

High ISO noise is dominated by sensor size, not pixel size. It has been that way for years...probably all the way back to the introduction of gapless microlenses...with only small differences between sensors within a format. The 90D sensor isn't doing anything revolutionary to maintain high ISO noise despite the MP increase, and the T8i will be comparable whether or not it uses a newer sensor.

The T8i is still quite a camera for a Rebel.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
It seems Canon abandoned the high MP camera promised for 2020. This might be a a market focused decision: Canon expects to sell more R5s than R5S'.

I hope when they do introduce a high MP R body that they call it an R3, and not an R5s. Especially if they preserve the choice of AA/no AA filter, which would create an R5sR. Do we really need a designation that sounds like a droid from Star Wars?

And if they do go with R3 I wouldn't mind them re-introducing the eye AF from the EOS 3.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
These are some of the more odd ball rumors in awhile, the dates the specs. But as others have said Canon is in a new more aggressive mode so the old ways are not the new ways we will know more soon!
With the R6 coming in June and the R5 coming in July, after a February announcement of the R5, people may tend toput off buying a camera until the summer. Maybe Canon figures that most people will need time to talk themselves into buying one of these cameras. It does not look like either one is going to be cheap. Or maybe Canon just lost control of the information release on the R5 and moved the R5 announcement forward to try to get back in control.

Upvote 0
May 11, 2017
It seems Canon abandoned the high MP camera promised for 2020. This might be a a market focused decision: Canon expects to sell more R5s than R5S'.
I don't think that Canon ever promised a high MP camera for 2020. Some people thought there would be a high res FF camera after the release of the 90D and the M6II with their 32 mp aps-c sensors, but that was internet speculation. I don't know of any Canon promise. You are likely right that Canon expects to sell more R5s than high res cameras, but my guess is that Canon's plan for quite a while has been to release the R5 before the high res camera.

Upvote 0

Ozarker

Love, joy, and peace to all of good will.
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2015
The Ozarks
With the R6 coming in June and the R5 coming in July, after a February announcement of the R5, people may tend toput off buying a camera until the summer. Maybe Canon figures that most people will need time to talk themselves into buying one of these cameras. It does not look like either one is going to be cheap. Or maybe Canon just lost control of the information release on the R5 and moved the R5 announcement forward to try to get back in control.
Fervent anticipation is a great marketing tool.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I think that’s what he is saying. Especially if you can pull frame grabs. It will turn you all into pro photographers.
People don't understand frame grabs. You still have to shoot at a shutter speed appropriate for stopping action, which is not the same shutter speed as you would use for video. Shooting at 1/60 sec (normal video) or even at 1/250 sec (for slo-mo) is only going to get you thousands of blurred images. You can shoot at 1/1000 second, but then the video will look like crap. The key to smooth video is to blur the action from one frame to the next, hardly conducive to frame grabs.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Yes. That´s the only explanation for the R5 dates. However there is one small (but big) difference. In the development announcement of Canon 1dxIII we didn´t have so much info! From these R5 it seems that we have practically all the info (at least the biggest and relevant....). So its kinda weird. We need to wait a bit longer to know.
I wonder if Canon decided to make a development announcement for the R5, in order to head off the complaints about a 20mp sensor when they announce the R6.

"This is the camera we are going to release but you have to wait until summer. In the meantime, watch for another announcement in May."

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
People don't understand frame grabs. You still have to shoot at a shutter speed appropriate for stopping action, which is not the same shutter speed as you would use for video. Shooting at 1/60 sec (normal video) or even at 1/250 sec (for slo-mo) is only going to get you thousands of blurred images. You can shoot at 1/1000 second, but then the video will look like crap. The key to smooth video is to blur the action from one frame to the next, hardly conducive to frame grabs.
I'm guessing that those wanting frame grabs are doing "fast stills" not actual video as such. Never the less, fast shutter video doesn't look quite as bad as your statement implies.

I used this process in shooting a Quetzal @ 400mm X2 coming/going from a nest @ 4k60 FPS (and alternately 30 FPS) and the results would have been good except for two issues. The AF couldn't snap on the bird fast enough and pre-focusing was challenging due to the trajectory of the bird. However, the biggest frustration was the cloud forest high ISO/ shutter speed compromise. I had a plan to do better but it couldn't work out to get back to the site, much to my consternation. Actual real-time video of this is less than a blink, so pointless. The slo-mo of 60FPS is not bad though.

I couldn't keep the video going continuously so it was tricky shooting and deleting and killing batteries over a couple hours - very tiring. Now if there had been chicks the visits would have been more predictable.

Jack
Quetzal F_s_38230.JPGQuetzal F_s_38229.JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unless it's 8K is like the EOS-R 4K. Upconverted from a crop that is much lower than 4K. Canon has no issues with lying.

Indeed, look at the M6II, the 4K is more like 3K upsampled to 4K. The 8K will be in-camera timelapse for sure and the 4K120p if true will at best be 2x crop limited to a few minutes capture time. The heat issues alone will be immense. The vide specs sound improbable, they would be shooting their Cine line in the head, as do the shooting speeds, at best they will be for static objects and tracking performance will halve these values: 7fps and 10fps.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Could someone who does video explain why a user would want 8K video.
What would they use it for and who would view it at 8K?
Since I can barely visually detect the improvement of 4K over HD, is it easy to see the difference between 4K and 8K?
Seeing as most video seems to be consumed on phones would you notice 8k over HD on a phone?
Does anyone commercially ask for 8K over 4K or HD? Is it common?
I'm surprised its such a big selling point, is it something that users desire but won't really use?

Upvote 0

Jack Douglas

CR for the Humour
Apr 10, 2013
Alberta, Canada
Could someone who does video explain why a user would want 8K video.
What would they use it for and who would view it at 8K?
Since I can barely visually detect the improvement of 4K over HD, is it easy to see the difference between 4K and 8K?
Seeing as most video seems to be consumed on phones would you notice 8k over HD on a phone?
Does anyone commercially ask for 8K over 4K or HD? Is it common?
I'm surprised its such a big selling point, is it something that users desire but won't really use?
I'm far from an expert but one great advantage is you can pan and zoom in post and still end up with HD.

Jack

Upvote 0

20Dave

CR Pro
Jan 19, 2013
I’m having a hard time believing the announcement and release dates. Announcing one camera in February but releasing it in July and then announcing a second camera in May and releasing it in June doesn’t make sense.
If Canon was worried that it would impact sales of their existing product line while people wait for the new cameras, then I agree. But it's possible that they are counting on it impacting sales of their competitors' product lines while people wait. It can stop a loss of market share during the interim period.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0