Here are more Canon EOS R6 Specifications [CR2]

Jan 29, 2011
the R6 should have 1/8000,
but the 6D/II does not
and they haven't said anything yet. that is scaring me.

the A7iii and the EosR does have 1/8000 - so I'm guessing the R6 will have it.
otherwise, it's crippled IMO
Could you explain that, I find it hard to understand what you shoot where 1/8000 is a regular requirement.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Waveform is something I'm really curious about too. I switched from a 5D Mark IV to a Panasonic S1 a year ago and am unsure about whether I'd want to move to the R5 if it doesn't have a waveform overlay. The lack of that feature in the 1DX Mark III has me worried
I think the AF alone is reasone enough to switch back :)
I have the S1H, while it offers a incredible good image quality, the lack of a good constant AF makes it use in a lot of situations more difficult. Especialy on a gimbal, there is pretty much no way to use it with a shallow depth of field...

Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
Could someone explain why it states 'Head' detection, rather than 'Eye' detection? Does that mean there is no eye detection or does head detection include eye detection?
Head detection is supposed to be a more advanced technology (capable of finding heads by postures, and not just as local face-like patterns).

Besides, with f/11 lenses, do you really need to focus on an eye? ;)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
I think the AF alone is reasone enough to switch back :)
I have the S1H, while it offers a incredible good image quality, the lack of a good constant AF makes it use in a lot of situations more difficult. Especialy on a gimbal, there is pretty much no way to use it with a shallow depth of field...

As much as I love my GH5, AF and the L mount was the reason I am still waiting for Canon. The S1H looks like a great camera and I really wanted to like it, but that fan pulling in dust, no useable AF, and having to buy into the L mount made it a non starter for me. I'm glad Panasonic never released a GH6 because I'd have been stuck with another body right when the R6 was announced.

Upvote 0

herein2020

Run | Gun Shooter
Mar 13, 2020
Care to elaborate how Canon R6 beats Sony a7 III/a7R III in terms of photography? For video I agree, unless something unexpected happens it will be superior, but in terms of stills it looks like it will be the other way around. Other than personal attacks I haven't seen any arguments to the contrary, other than "probably better IBIS, more advanced AF", which are not possible to compare with just leaked specs.

I always find posts like yours comical because you are staring at spec sheets all day vs actually being in the field, shooting every single day on video and photography gear that is producing footage that customers are paying for. There is so much more that goes into a camera ecosystem that no spec sheets will ever tell you. Little things like ergonomics, lens selection, warranty support, temperature extremes performance, reliability, menu system, longevity, weather sealing, accessories, compatibility, real world battery life....my list goes on and on.

I'm not here to sell you on Canon, I couldn't care less either way what you end up buying, if a few posts on a Canon forum affect your buying decision then you are already off to a bad start. I have never owned a Sony, and I don't claim to know their product lineup; but what I do know is the stories I hear about reliability issues, quality control issues, lens quality control issues, non existent support, premature body failures....etc. I met a photographer at an event who had two of the latest Sony bodies; he mentioned that the sensor had just died in his previous Sony (which was only a year old) but that it was a good thing because he wanted to upgrade to the newest body anyway...this blew my mind. I have never heard of a Canon sensor dying in a little over a year in any body, even my Canon Rebel is 6 years old, has passed the 50K shutter count mark and is still going strong.

Long story short I am sure every spec sheet from Sony will tell you what you want to hear, but I guarantee you my little T6 Canon Rebel will take better pictures than any Sony on the list if that Sony's battery has already died, the lens won't focus, or the sensor has failed. My only first hand experience with Sony was handling a display model in a store. The buttons felt like cheap plastic, my hands were jammed up against the lens, the menu system was terrible, and everything felt like cheap plastic. I've never touched one since.

My 5DIV has shot in conditions with -20 degree wind chill, 130 degree blazing desert heat, was doused with a huge saltwater wave in Hawaii (my tripod still hasn't recovered), and still works like the day I got it. That type of reliability to me is more important than any spec sheet any manufacturer will ever release.

BTW I am far from a Canon "fanboy", I don't care what brand I shoot with as long as it meets my requirements (i.e. I did not get the EOS R because it had one card slot and that awful function bar). I got a Panasonic GH5 because Canon was not meeting my video needs. I would have left Canon long ago if there was a photography company that would better meet my needs. I am probably the least brand loyal consumer imaginable; I don't care who makes the equipment as long as it gets the job done. With that being said, for me, when it comes to photography and the types of photography that I offer; Canon has no equal. IMO when the R5 and R6 are released; for the type of video work that I do....Canon will once again have no equal.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 378664

The R6 Specs looks really good!
The only thing missing for me is GPS. - what do you think?
This is one thing, I'm also missing. Once one is used to a build in GPS it is "hard to swallow" to use the external GPS receiver or the Canon Camera connect App to get GPS data via phone. But leaving out GPS will certainly help to get more shots out of a battery charge.

Frank

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
The real question it is... The EOS R6 is it going to become a real rival to the Sony A7III?
Is that a question
if you are a photographer I can understand your reaction but for video centric users with EF glass, this sounds like the tool many us have waited for. If you combine it with the electronic var ND RF-EF lens mount, it could be a formidable camera that is way superior to any other offering in it’s class. If this is confirmed, I will continue to use my 5DIV for photography and replace my GH5/speedbooster with this camera for sure.

Upvote 0
Canon is going the Nikon way now (Z7/Z6). Looks like the bodies are near to be equal (hope so they do on the back side, too). I want back a scroll wheel and a joystick. And if EVF and batteries are same, it would be great. A 5 Million dots EVF will make any OVF obsolete, too. Even more because in my opinion the existing Rs EVF was the best one up to date. My RP´s one is already far better then Sony a7 III (and coming a7 I´s?). And I am pretty sure Canon will show no Nikonlike battery grip stupidity. I guess, If all those specs turn out to be the truth here come the siblings to rule all mirrorless competitors for the next couple of years. Nice!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My point is the 6D was traditionally the entry level FF, IMO both the R5 and R6 have moved up the scale far enough to leave room below for a new entry level FF which would be the RP. Many people on here were saying the R6 won't be much of a camera due to the 20MP sensor, no top down LCD, and lower build quality. My point all along is that those specs actually are clues to anyone in the video world that this thing will actually be a workhorse for video while still taking fantastic stills....a slot the 6D never held.

So... does the R6 have better iso capability (does the mean low light capability?) because of the 20MP count? vs the R5's possible 40+? I remember seeing posts in the past that say high megapixels have no relation to the low light abilities... but yea just not sure sure which info is correct.
I think unless Canon has some surprise for us R6 @$2500 won't be much of a competition in photography to Sony a7 III/a7R III, due to higher price, lower pixel count and worse lens selection - unless R6 has something special in terms of image quality, looks like Sony will be the clear choice.
Not my opinion. The EVF of a7 III is to bad. My RPs one is much better and more reliable. A7R III might be able to compete. Here in germany it has an comparable price as R6 (rumored). But the ergonomics are horrible, too (imo). Next to this Sony still does not offer any working lens adapter. Both, Nikon and Canon did an excellent job here. Comparable expensive as Sony lenses the RF lenses belong to the best available lenses in the market. I am pretty sure I will not invest in any Sony lenses. I switched to mirrorless with RP being able to use my existing lenses without any restrictions (they perform better witrh adapter than on native EF mount bodies). Now I am open to switch to one or two of those excellent RF lenses within the next couple of years.

Upvote 0
The real question it is... The EOS R6 is it going to become a real rival to the Sony A7III?
I do not think that this is the "real" question. The first Sony body that became interesting for me to get a job done was A7 R III. But it was way to expensive had to many pixels (I prefere 20-24 MP and noone of my customers ever ever asked for more) and I never felt comfortable with its ergonomics.

The a7 IV might feel better in the hands than its predecessor. But in my opinion it will still suck in EVF, a horrible menu, in missing touch functioality and articulated screen. If the final price is in my range, the R6 might be the right mirrorless choice for me. Like 6D was and still is (I am using the 3rd body now) in DSLR.

Upvote 0
Or the huge number of people who used a Canon with the 18 MP sensor... found in such lame cameras as the original 7D. Oh yeah, the 7D II is 20 MP as well. And noby liked that camera :sneaky:. That's why Canon won't refresh it :ROFLMAO: (RIP)

Can it be that you do not know what you are talking about? As far I can remember 7D and 7D II where successful cameras 11 and 6 years ago. They became obsolete because most actual consumercameras can do the same today. The professional bodies mentioned above are amed to a completely different target group of professional users. You might find 20 MP "lame". But it is more than enough for (imo) 90% of the jobs that have to be done.

Upvote 0
Is anything known about the body size of the r6? Will it be comparable to the r5 or smaller like the rp?
On the picture it looks like the same size. At the front one of the connections is missing. And it will not have a mode dial wheel instead of the shoulder screen. But as far I know there are still no pictures of the back side. If it looks like R5 I guess I would be in.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Could you explain that, I find it hard to understand what you shoot where 1/8000 is a regular requirement.
1/8000 with the f11 lenses will be great for location shooting on the sun.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Can it be that you do not know what you are talking about? As far I can remember 7D and 7D II where successful cameras 11 and 6 years ago. They became obsolete because most actual consumercameras can do the same today. The professional bodies mentioned above are amed to a completely different target group of professional users. You might find 20 MP "lame". But it is more than enough for (imo) 90% of the jobs that have to be done.

It seems you are unfamiliar with "sarcasm".

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Joules

doom
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Sorry for not including an /s tag. I thought the emojis where enough to convey the sarcasm.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

navastronia

R6 x2 (work) + 5D Classic (fun)
Aug 31, 2018

Full sun at f/1.2 can necessitate 1/8000 even at ISO 100. Sunny 16 tells us that 1/8000 could be useful even at f/1.4, and in a sandy/snowy environment, even moreso.

1/8000 is useful to have, and if the R6 doesn't have it, it will be an issue for some shooters.

While it may be lame to call a camera "crippled" for any reason, especially in this day and age (honestly, can we be done with that?), I don't see the purpose in defending a hereto-unannounced product in the case that it's missing a feature some people use.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I’m trying to find more reasons to solidify my decision with an R5 over the R6 since the R6 has rumored specs that got a lot of us interested... so another thing I wanted to touch on was the idea of ever since RF glass came out, people kept saying there were great, but we still needed a Canon camera to be able to get these lenses to their full potentials... so with that idea, wouldn’t the R5 be THAT camera to do so more than the R6 because of the MP count? I got the RF 50mm 1.2 and the RF 70-20 2.8 For my RP, so would the R5 be the obvious direction to go to make take advantage because of the higher MO count? Or are there other factors that I am missing when these people said these lenses were not being used to their fullest properly because of the current bodies.

Upvote 0