Armando Ferreira: Testing out the NEW Canon EOS R5 in a real world production environment.

dtaylor

Canon 5Ds
Jul 26, 2011
I would be curious to see that! I don't think I've seen a test yet of whether the R5 overheats less when using an external recorder.

Generally speaking external recorders reduce heat generation in camera and enable longer shoots. At this point the degree to which an external recorder would help with an R5 or an R6 is unknown. Some of the processing and file I/O gets moved off to the recorder which has to help. But there's still sensor readout and because the video is oversampled, some significant DIGIC processing to prepare the signal sent over HDMI. (Which is limited to 4k 60p, so on the R5 if you want 8k you have to deal with the thermal issues.)

I believe the Ninja V is, or will shortly be, compatible. I'm looking forward to seeing someone test this.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 13, 2018
Generally speaking external recorders reduce heat generation in camera and enable longer shoots. At this point the degree to which an external recorder would help with an R5 or an R6 is unknown. Some of the processing and file I/O gets moved off to the recorder which has to help. But there's still sensor readout and because the video is oversampled, some significant DIGIC processing to prepare the signal sent over HDMI. (Which is limited to 4k 60p, so on the R5 if you want 8k you have to deal with the thermal issues.)

I believe the Ninja V is, or will shortly be, compatible. I'm looking forward to seeing someone test this.

So true. HDMI2.1 could have helped bypass some of the overheating.

Upvote 0

Bert63

What’s in da box?
CR Pro
Dec 3, 2017
So far, I feel like I am running a gauntlet and am being beaten to death by reviews of R5 video capabilities. For the sake of logic and symmetry won't somebody please review this camera for a photographer, not a videographer.

Yes - more like this please.

The video whatever is nice (but I really don't care) but we need a photographer's perspective.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

cornieleous

5D4 + R5
Jul 13, 2020
That’s why I’ve been shooting with Sony for 6 years. They stick their latest tech even in their cheaper cameras. Look at the Zv1 or a6400 almost same video and AF capabilities as the bigger brothers.
The 6D had a better sensor than the 5D3 in 2013. This cripple hammer nonsense is nothing but emotion from fools who want everything for nothing and compare spec sheets, not how a system comes together in the field. For many, Canon has always had reliable and impressive SYSTEMS and ignored being the hottest spec sheet. Gets the job done without being loud and mouthy about it.

Brand religion is truly lame and lacks critical thinking. Use what you use and stop babbling about it. Truly, No. One. Cares.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
So far, I feel like I am running a gauntlet and am being beaten to death by reviews of R5 video capabilities. For the sake of logic and symmetry won't somebody please review this camera for a photographer, not a videographer.
No worry at all. So called reviews so far are like blind men examining an elephant in the room and expressing their own opinions! I'd rather wait for the camera to rent it and see how it fits to my shooting subjects and style.

Upvote 0

CaMeRa QuEsT

EOS M5 11-22/4-5.6 22/2 50/1.8 STM+EF-EOSM 270EXII
Sep 12, 2016
Some people know how to do what it takes. Hey, simple, give me a fan.

Found the exact one on ebay, it's only $35 shipped, said to have only one speed: 160 MPH. Silly of me to think a little PC fan will suffice.

Upvote 0

adigoks

EOS 750D
Jul 12, 2020
For anyone whose going to make R5 as video camera. a friendly reminder that NVIDIA didnt support 4:2:2 decoding natively on its GPU.
so an external recorder is a must for recording 10 bit 4:2:2.

nvenc-nvdec decoding support table

if you're not using external recorder you gotta use proxy for editing.
if you didnt want to use proxy its going to be like this.

Upvote 0

Twinix

C100 III + R6?
May 6, 2020
Norway
Personally, I cannot wait for the moment when Canon sells an RF C100 with a fan so we can finally get over this wannabe cinematographer stuff.
Me too, but I dont think they will need to put in a fan for 4K 50p 10bit. If a fan has to kick in between takes etc I don’t think it will matter that much tho.

Upvote 0

Starting out EOS R

EOS R5 - RF24-105mm F4L, RF70-200mm f2.8L
Feb 13, 2020
I do enjoy Armondo's videos and generally he seems quite balanced. I did enjoy this video but it told me absolutely nothing about the R5 apart from it can be used with some ridiculous lenses and produce some pretty good video which, we already knew.
I'm sure he will produce more videos focusing on the actual camera performance in the not too distant future. Meanwhile Jarad Polins video on the AF is worth a watch and is a massive step up from the R.

Roll on in a week when the R5 should be delivered. :D

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0