Show your Bird Portraits

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Number 5 and 13 :)
My favourites (not in any specific order)
All great pictures!!
Thanks, Dockland & Raptors!
Gee - this is fun!

But seriously, I'm glad you enjoyed them. I have to say that there are bird photos from others here that I really adore even more than what I've happened upon. And the colors in the wood-duck have set the bar so high for that, that somehow I don't think my backyard will ever even come close to it.

So, I guess it's time to travel! Oh wait, have they opened the borders yet? :LOL:

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Nice series usern4cr,

For my favourites, I'd pick: 2,5,7,12,14.

Good luck.
Thanks, StoicalEtcher!
I didn't know what would happen with responses, but I'm very thankful for all that I've got.
It's really interesting in such a short period. There are 7 of them that are neck and neck as far as the favorites that I've received, 5 of them that are the least favorites (by far), and 2 that are in-between. And one of the least favorites is one of my favorites (hmmm, it just goes to show ... )
But I do think that it will really help me show photos that are better received by those who get to see them (even in my little town). So thanks, again!

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Another beautiful series. I really like your pictures. Well done, usern4cr.
I'd go for 13 and 14, which stand out for me.
Thanks Click and AlanF. It's not everyday you get a heavy ice storm. Ours was a doozie, taking down tree branches & sometimes trees. After it hit there weren't any birds anywhere that I could see. It took them a while to come back - I'm guessing the flew Southward, as you didn't have to go far before it became warm enough to avoid the thick ice covering everything.

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
R5 1.6x crop mode
Very nice pictures, Cog. I've never thought of using the 1.6x crop mode before. In addition to the more zoomed in image displayed and the smaller file, can you still get a smaller raw file or cRaw file with it? And can you assign a button to toggle between crop and regular mode or do you have to go through the menu system for it?

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
I liked this one. R5 eye autofocus/tracking does it's thing :)

View attachment 196817
Beautiful colors, Dockland! The animal eye AF is maybe the best thing (to me) on the R5. I've just given the focusing to the camera and am glad I can have a back button focus for single spot and another for eye AF. It works great most of the time. When it doesn't I'm sure the QP AF in a future body will fix that and work perfectly almost all the time! I think the QP will be a big enough step that I might wait until one of the bodies finally comes with it for a 2nd body.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Oops. sorry - it has to be a comment to Alan's comment not to your comment... Damn it! - after that much comments I forgot what I'm going to comment on :mad:!!!
Hi ISv.
No worries, I did wonder what you meant, but never mind, we call that a brain fart here! :)

Cheers, Graham.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Beautiful colors, Dockland! The animal eye AF is maybe the best thing (to me) on the R5. I've just given the focusing to the camera and am glad I can have a back button focus for single spot and another for eye AF. It works great most of the time. When it doesn't I'm sure the QP AF in a future body will fix that and work perfectly almost all the time! I think the QP will be a big enough step that I might wait until one of the bodies finally comes with it for a 2nd body.
Same here about the eyeAF, but in addition it's the ability to lock on to a bird and track it swimming far away. My DSLRs are still great for BIF.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Same here about the eyeAF, but in addition it's the ability to lock on to a bird and track it swimming far away. My DSLRs are still great for BIF.
Yes, I include the "lock & tracking" part in with the animal eye AF in general. But it is an additional task besides the initial locating. I agree that it's really great on the R5! (or more like "totally stunning!"). I can't wait to see how much better their QP AF is! I don't really care about MP above 45MP - I'll take it or leave it, but just give me QP AF next!!!!

You've been into BIF way more than me. I'll try to get into it in the future, once I'm out traveling to where I can see more variety than just my back yard feeder area. But I know it's a LOT harder, and so the tracking is way more important with BIF than BNF (birds NOT flying!) ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0