Canon EOS R3 sensor resolution to be 45mp?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
There seems to be more than enough evidence to support that but as the saying goes but there is no date for an announcement of any kind.
Sure! You are right! And this camera will be announced after the next Winter Olympics at earliest.
For sure that over all teasing Canon PR machine running for several weeks now will tell us that we will have to wait much, much longer :rolleyes: /sarc mode

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
As much as I agree with that, we have no idea at what stage the rumors emerged.
*They could still all be wrong
And you are right here, too.
Canon PR machine running for several weeks now will tell us that they will have to redo all the R&D and we will have to wait much, much longer :rolleyes: /sarc mode

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Had we ever seen a camera out in commercial use but kept so secret before ? Seems odd; I can see the hype attraction in getting the forums to discuss it and create interest, but I wonder if there’s another strategy here ? Perhaps Canon want the internet buzzing with how capable this camera is, and publishing the shots to back this up before they let on it’s ‘only’ 24 mp. My understanding is that the fast shooting commercial world don’t want lumbering with really high mp and Canon will no doubt respect this but don’t want it trashed in the forums for being ‘behind’ the 50mp cameras before it’s even launched.
I don't think the use 'in the wild' is especially unusual, I think the built up expectation and interest is different. I don't remember hype like this since the awesome 5D II days, I think I got banned three times back then :ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0
From what I hear from a photographer in Tokyo this is correct!

The Canon R3 has a 24 mp sensor - resolution 6000x4000 px

The info is from a reliable source that I trust!
I have been following all the development news and forum talk, but this is the first time that I can contribute with something relevant (so I registered)

I was told 6000x4000 also, it sounds like the same source to me. But I am still not sure, as they have all been asked to keep it secret.

I will be disappointed if it is 24mp, for what I shoot (long lens sport) I have really been enjoying the ability on the R5 to crop in when the action gets further away (much like wildlife photographers) so if I am to make the R5 body #2 and R3 #1, I for one would miss the extra 21mp. Unfortunately with the rolling shutter, I can't see the R5 being my main body for long - I'd like to be able to use the 20fps but can't trust it.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
30 mp is enough of a jump from my 1DX mark II that I would definitely pre-order the camera day one. 24 mp just doesn't feel particularly as future proof to me, so then it would turn back into a decision for me between the R3 or just getting a second R5 with a battery grip while I wait for the R1.

24 mp also makes me feel like they could pull off way more than 30 fps.. The 1DX mark III was doing 5.5K raw at friggin' 60 frames per second. Why not do 50-60 FPS raw photos?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
30 mp is enough of a jump from my 1DX mark II that I would definitely pre-order the camera day one. 24 mp just doesn't feel particularly as future proof to me, so then it would turn back into a decision for me between the R3 or just getting a second R5 with a battery grip while I wait for the R1.

24 mp also makes me feel like they could pull off way more than 30 fps.. The 1DX mark III was doing 5.5K raw at friggin' 60 frames per second. Why not do 50-60 FPS raw photos?
Unless Canon updated the firmware, the 1DX III loses a lot of functionality at 60 FPS unless cropped.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Al Bello, one of Getty's staff photographers, uploaded a bunch of photos from swimming today where a large chunk of the photos are *exactly* 24 megapixels, with some being slight crops around 23 megapixels. There's other ones taken with the exact resolution of the 1DX mark III, so these aren't upsized 1DX images, and there were some R5 images that were used as a remote which are kept around full 45 resolution. I doubt it's a coincidence that there's dozens of exactly 24 megapixel images in the set. Even cropping you wouldn't get that perfect.

Getty has a contract with Canon to only use Canon gear, so these also aren't A9II images or anything like that.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Al Bello, one of Getty's staff photographers, uploaded a bunch of photos from swimming today where a large chunk of the photos are *exactly* 24 megapixels, with some being slight crops around 23 megapixels. There's other ones taken with the exact resolution of the 1DX mark III, so these aren't upsized 1DX images, and there were some R5 images that were used as a remote which are kept around full 45 resolution. I doubt it's a coincidence that there's dozens of exactly 24 megapixel images in the set. Even cropping you wouldn't get that perfect.

Getty has a contract with Canon to only use Canon gear, so these also aren't A9II images or anything like that.

Do you know how much time you are saving me with this detective work? :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020

Thank you for sharing the link.

It's possible that part of the agreement photographers have with Canon is that they will not post R3 images with resolution greater than 24MP. Or, this is the highest resolution the R3 offers.

We don't know for sure that some of these are not upsized 1DX images. Some images from that body could have been upsized and others not. These can also be crops from higher MP cameras.

Lots of images taken by other photographers on Getty Images are also 24MP, even if they are not taken by Canon shooters. Could be a storage space thing or something since they have so many images coming in at the same time.

While this is all very interesting, and suggests a certain narrative, it is not definitive.

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
Thank you for sharing the link.

It's possible that part of the agreement photographers have with Canon is that they will not post R3 images with resolution greater than 24MP. Or, this is the highest resolution the R3 offers.

We don't know for sure that some of these are not upsized 1DX images. Some images from that body could have been upsized and others not. These can also be crops from higher MP cameras.

Lots of images taken by other photographers on Getty Images are also 24MP, even if they are not taken by Canon shooters. Could be a storage space thing or something since they have so many images coming in at the same time.

While this is all very interesting, and suggests a certain narrative, it is not definitive.
I'm about 90% sure that the R3 is 24 megapixels at this point looking through everything.

The "upsized to 24 mp" argument holds little water with the 23.5/23.2 megapixel crops in there(how much time are you wasting by exporting, cropping, and then exporting if that's the case?), and exact 1dx3 resolution images/even lower res crops showing that the workflow for this specific event isn't resizing. The ones I looked at were all from the same swimming event in the same timeframe, which wouldn't be filled with different workflows from one photographer. It's just not a storage space thing to be upsizing 20 mp images to a higher resolution or downsizing higher MP to "save storage" either. Other Getty Images photogs are using R5s at full resolution and uploading those files live during the games.

No one out there is cropping dozens of images to exactly 24 megapixels, either. If you look at the bigger picture of all of their images, the crops are always random numbers of megapixels because their workflow probably includes PhotoMechanic's crop tool, which is drawing the rectangle you want on the screen, and normally gives a non-specific amount of MP leftover.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
I'm about 90% sure that the R3 is 24 megapixels at this point looking through everything.

The "upsized to 24 mp" argument holds little water with the 23.5/23.2 megapixel crops in there(how much time are you wasting by exporting, cropping, and then exporting if that's the case?), and exact 1dx3 resolution images/even lower res crops showing that the workflow for this specific event isn't resizing. The ones I looked at were all from the same swimming event in the same timeframe, which wouldn't be filled with different workflows from one photographer. It's just not a storage space thing to be upsizing 20 mp images to a higher resolution or downsizing higher MP to "save storage" either. Other Getty Images photogs are using R5s at full resolution and uploading those files live during the games.

No one out there is cropping dozens of images to exactly 24 megapixels, either. If you look at the bigger picture of all of their images, the crops are always random numbers of megapixels because their workflow probably includes PhotoMechanic's crop tool, which is drawing the rectangle you want on the screen, and normally gives a non-specific amount of MP leftover.
But could they be downsizing because they've signed an agreement not to post any images larger than 24MP? I admit 24MP is looking more and more likely.

Upvote 0