Exclusive! DPReview confirms what has already been confirmed. The Canon EOS R3 will be 24mp

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
It does beg the question who are Canon targeting this camera at? Clearly the R1 is nowhere near ready for release yet so Canon have gone with the R3 rather than get left behind by the competition. I very much doubt it’s targeted at rich consumers because across social media and regardless of brand, the talk always seems to be about high megapixels and top level video specs like 8K. People always mention the potential for heavy cropping as their main reason (I never get this obsession with cropping). I see this as the 1DX replacement for working pro’s who need to shoot and send files with a fast turnaround. Also if this camera had a higher megapixel count, it might be enough to stop people buying into the R1 when it’s eventually released. Canon are clearly making sure both of these cameras will have very specific purposes that differentiate them from one another.
I need to push cropping to the limits for what I do and so am happy to have 45 Mpx on the R5. The R3 is targeted at those who do not need to crop so much and have other priorities. So it's good that they have the right body for their needs, and it's not for the two different groups to complain about each other but instead to appreciate that others have different requirements and that they are being fulfilled. Importantly, my group has the 45 Mpx now and can use them.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0
Canon’s marketing trolls are everywere...
Time will tell peeps, I think this is a sports photographer camera, nobody else is willing to pay Canons astronomic prices for an R6 with an inbuilt battery grip. So a small market for this medium-res camera.

It’s exacty like most people here say: once you’ve used the R5 you can never go back to a 24mpix camera, it’s not the 10 extra fps that makes the difference. So Canon: give us a mirrorless pro body like this R3, but with 45mpix. ASAP Please!
If I didn't already have a 1dx3 I would buy one. The video will be great and thermal management will be awesome compared to the R5. I can use my 500mm lens with the drop in ef/rf adapter with neutral density. The autofocus will be even better than the 1dx3. For wildlife photography / documentary video there is not a better option out there. Knowing myself I will probably still buy one.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
"DPReview can confirm the maximum resolution of files coming straight out of Canon EOS R3 cameras being used at the Olympics is 6000 x 4000 pixels"

So maybe instead of you selecting: S, M, L, you can select your wanted final resolution XXXX x XXXX:
- direct capture as a crop of the full sensor
- oversampled image from full sensor to final resolution (like 4k HQ is created)

So media/sports photographers, can select the exact resolution, which they need to deliver in and upload without resizing in between capture and delivery.

Maybe this is the resolution trick in action, which was somewhat rumoured early on.

Upvote 0

Atlasman

EOS R6 MKII
CR Pro
May 14, 2020
If I didn't already have a 1dx3 I would buy one. The video will be great and thermal management will be awesome compared to the R5. I can use my 500mm lens with the drop in ef/rf adapter with neutral density. The autofocus will be even better than the 1dx3. For wildlife photography / documentary video there is not a better option out there. Knowing myself I will probably still buy one.
Canon can definitely widen the market appeal with some great video specs!

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They haven't stopped manufacturing for sure.
But development?.. I must confess it'd be hard to prove an absence of development, but have you seen any announcements or even rumours on the new DSLRs? I think 1DXIII was the last one from Canon.

PS. no, probably 850D was the last released DSLR, still it's Feb 2020.
If there is DSLR development ongoing, I suspect it would be for ‘consumer’ xxxD and/or xxxxD bodies. We don’t often see rumors about those bodies, because they are not of interest to the majority of members here (even those using them plan, or dream, of getting upmarket bodies).

The best-selling ILC in Japan for the months of May and June was the Kiss X10 / 250D – a DSLR. Honestly, do you believe Canon would just abandon nearly half of the ILC market? Abandon a product line that is their domestic best-seller? Canon is not stupid (despite what some here claim).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Canon’s marketing trolls are everywere...
Time will tell peeps, I think this is a sports photographer camera, nobody else is willing to pay Canons astronomic prices for an R6 with an inbuilt battery grip. So a small market for this medium-res camera.

It’s exacty like most people here say: once you’ve used the R5 you can never go back to a 24mpix camera, it’s not the 10 extra fps that makes the difference. So Canon: give us a mirrorless pro body like this R3, but with 45mpix. ASAP Please!
Darn, you caught me, if anybody has a wheelbarrow I could borrow to take the cash Canon sent me to the bank I’d appreciate it...

• Haha
Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Seems likely to be 24MP . The information it’s based on might stillbe a limit Canon imposed to hide the real MP while testing at the Olympics.
Would I have bought an R3 if it were 50MP? -Yes
Would I have bought an R3 if it were 30MP ? - Probably but not in a rush
Would I buy the R3 if it is 24MP? No
From my perspective it’s not worth it. It limits the cameras uses and 20FPS to 30FPS is a completely diminishing return. I’d prefer a buffer limit than 24MP.
The R1 may also be modest in terms of MP and faraway. Sony would be delighted I’d say. The A1 won’t have a matching competitor for a while. It’s been a while since I’ve felt the best full frame camera on the market is not a Canon.

Upvote 0
It does beg the question who are Canon targeting this camera at?
This is not a mystery; Canon told you right from the start. This is a sports camera for full-time professional sports shooters, which can also double as a news reportage camera for outlets who maybe have some worn-down 1D Xs that need replacing and they don't want to be left hanging until the R1.
That is what Canon said it would be when they first officially went public with the development of the camera, it's what they've continued to say it would be for in every update since, it's what every 'rumour' site has told you with every update, and it's what you could simply identify for yourself just from looking at the spec sheets.

High speed, high durability, low resolution = sports camera. Exactly as Canon said it would be. Exactly as sports cameras always are. There is absolutely no mystery here at all. There's no question about who it's for.

Are you a full-time professional sports shooter? If yes, this spec is exactly what you want; if anything, 24mp is overkill and brings up worries about buffer sizes and a potential increase to the medium jpg size, which is the most common file type used by sports pros.
If you're not a full-time professional sports shooter then this camera simply is not designed for you. It's not meant to be for you and it should not change to be for you.

I went over this in the previous post, and I'll quote myself to wrap this up:

Not every product is designed to meet every requirement or desire. Let the stills cameras be stills cameras, the video cameras be video cameras, the studio cameras be studio cameras, and the sports cameras be sports cameras. I am looking forward to the R3 more now that it seems they are indeed keeping it as optimised for sports as they first promised.

edit: For the record, I do find the phrasing of CR's post here to be very petulant and petty. DPR certainly have their fair share of problems, but they did get a different, more significant source to confirm a rumoured spec, and a source which CR did not have, at that; that does indeed make DPR's information "exclusive". It's extremely childish to make back-handed comments at their writer just because CR happened to have a less reliable source for the same information previously. This kind of attitude is why so many people, especially within the industry, don't take '[brand]rumor' sites seriously. If you want recognition for your reporting and you don't want larger publications to overlook you, report like an adult.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Feb 3, 2019
Seems likely to be 24MP . The information it’s based on might stillbe a limit Canon imposed to hide the real MP while testing at the Olympics.
Would I have bought an R3 if it were 50MP? -Yes
Would I have bought an R3 if it were 30MP ? - Probably but not in a rush
Would I buy the R3 if it is 24MP? No
From my perspective it’s not worth it. It limits the cameras uses and 20FPS to 30FPS is a completely diminishing return. I’d prefer a buffer limit than 24MP.
The R1 may also be modest in terms of MP and faraway. Sony would be delighted I’d say. The A1 won’t have a matching competitor for a while. It’s been a while since I’ve felt the best full frame camera on the market is not a Canon.
Well said. Good analysis. 24mpix is just not worth the money, so let's hope they somehow gave the testpilots half a sensor :)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Well said. Good analysis. 24mpix is just not worth the money, so let's hope they somehow gave the testpilots half a sensor :)
Like dandelions. You keep popping up in thread after thread. Except dandelions can entertain children, and be used in salads and to make a fermented beverage. Your comments are not useful.

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 10.45.50 AM.png

Upvote 0
For me the question is can a R3 replace my 1DX MK III. 99% of my work is sports photography or related to that. Currently I shoot with two 1DX MK III, a R5 and a 1DX mostly as a remote goalcam. Important for me is that a camera is reliable, predictable and can handle dust and moisture very well. Now at first I was a little hasitant for shooting sports with the R5 but it has a lot going for it. Especially the eye autofocus and the 20 fps with electronic shutter are great to have. But when using the electronic shutter I have problems with rolling shutter (oval balls etc.) and banding under stadium lights. So when the R3 does not have those problems or a lot less, I'm thinking of replacing my MK III's with the R3. Also not having to attach the WFT to the camera for wireless transmission is very welcome. After a short period I'm totally used to the EVF of the R5 and checking/tagging the pictures through the EVF in bright sunlight is very nice. I have a concern though how my eyes will react to a extensive periode looking through a EVF. Then a OVF would be better I guess. How many megapixels the R3 has is not very important from me personally. I can crop the he.. out of a jpg from a 1DX MK III and upload it to the my agency.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jun 25, 2012
Canada
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Am I the only one that is seeing a bit of disconnect with what DPReview said "...meaning the sensor inside is 24MP. File sizes come in between 14MB and 16MB."

14-16mb is too large for a 24mp large jpeg file and too small for a 24mp RAW file. Maybe it's just an iso thing...

Here are some example file sizes for current cameras.

100 iso
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 12.12.30.png

800 iso
Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 12.19.20.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there is DSLR development ongoing, I suspect it would be for ‘consumer’ xxxD and/or xxxxD bodies. We don’t often see rumors about those bodies, because they are not of interest to the majority of members here (even those using them plan, or dream, of getting upmarket bodies).

The best-selling ILC in Japan for the months of May and June was the Kiss X10 / 250D – a DSLR. Honestly, do you believe Canon would just abandon nearly half of the ILC market? Abandon a product line that is their domestic best-seller? Canon is not stupid (despite what some here claim).
They didn't abandon the 250D and other crop DSLRs. They don't release the new ones either, although should have. There's no new EF-S lenses and several EF-S and EF lenses have been canceled already.
Full frame DSLR line looks even worse.
Ok, if they don't release any new crop DSLR this year, it'll be a very clear sign I'm right.
Canon is gradually moving to the RF mount, they may release a crop RF camera or a very cheap FF - those have been rumoured already. I think there was an interview with a Canon exec who said they were shifting the focus to the RF mount.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Am I the only one that is seeing a bit of disconnect with what DPReview said "...meaning the sensor inside is 24MP. File sizes come in between 14MB and 16MB."

14-16mb is too large for a 24mp large jpeg file and too small for a 24mp RAW file.

Here are some example file sizes for current cameras.

View attachment 199370
14-16 Mb is just what you would expect for a CRAW file from a 24 Mb sensor judging by the size of my CRAW from the R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
They didn't abandon the 250D and other crop DSLRs. They don't release the new ones either, although should have. There's no new EF-S lenses and several EF-S and EF lenses have been canceled already.
Full frame DSLR line looks even worse.
Ok, if they don't release any new crop DSLR this year, it'll be a very clear sign I'm right.
Canon is gradually moving to the RF mount, they may release a crop RF camera or a very cheap FF - those have been rumoured already. I think there was an interview with a Canon exec who said they were shifting the focus to the RF mount.
R&D resources are limited in any company, and given that the MILC lines are newer and expanding, it's logical to focus those resources there for a period of time. That doesn't mean no new DSLRs will be developed and released this year or next year. If we don't see a new DSLR by the end of 2022, then I'd say that's a sign that you're correct.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
14-16 Mb is just what you would expect for a CRAW file from a 24 Mb sensor judging by the size of my CRAW from the R5.
Agreed (CRAW from my 30 MP EOS R are a bit over 17 MB). But I'm not convinced that most shooters covering the Olympics would be shooting CRAW. I doubt RAW files would be routinely used at all, and even if RAW or CRAW is part of a workflow, for the R3 that would mean DPP would also likely need to be part of that workflow and I doubt that even more strongly.

Upvote 0

AlanF

CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
  • Haha
Upvote 0