Here’s a full list of what will be announced with the Canon EOS R3 this month

FrenchFry

Wildlife enthusiast!
Jun 14, 2020
  • ST- is a Speedlite Transmitter, I suspect they jumped from the ST-E3-RT to the ST-10 with new features using the extra hotshoe connectivity
  • AD- is used on some of their power supplies, so I suspect it's a power adapter of some sort but that's a guess. Maybe a USB-C PD adapter to power the camera and charge a battery in-camera?
  • DM- is directional microphone (I have the DM-100 for my Vixia camcorder, there is currently a DM-E1 for for EOS cameras, so the DM-E1D should be similar
  • ER- denotes a strap, e.g. the ER-100B is the neck strap for the EOS R
Thanks for explaining the codes!

Three new types of straps! These are really exciting times!!!

Presumably L for leg straps and H/HE for head straps, got it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Important note: 43mm lens cap is what the EF-M 22mm F/2 uses.

I'm pretty certain this means the RF 16mm f/2.8 is going to be *absolutely* tiny.
Sounds great although I’d prefer the size of the 35mm with a dedicated control ring.

Does the „pancake size“ effect the IQ? I’ve never owned a pancake and have no experience with such tiny lenses.

I figure that a tiny UWA pancake lense is canons answer to smartphones with capable UWAs.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

True, but so are a budget telephoto and ultra-wide!

This too is true. The budget lenses suggest a budget camera is coming with them. Perhaps something in the R/RP space that has animal eye AF?

I feel big cameras should be launched with the platform seller lens, like the 5-series often comes with a 24-105 type lens.

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
I must be missing something. How can a 16mm f2.8 lens be as small as people are imagining.
16mm is close to the RF flange distance, so you don't need any retrofocus elements to extend the focal point to the sensor. So you end up with what is generally called a 'pancake' lens. On EF the 40mm is one example, on EF-S the 24mm is another example.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
There is a big photo fair called "Photopia" in Hamburg from September 26 to 29. Canon said they want to show their latest products there. I really would like to go, because it is not far form here, but then I would have to use a train during a pandemic. I am sure they will have the R3 and all the new lenses there. The main photo fair in Germany used to be the "Photokina", but was cancelled for the foreseeable future. So Photopia now is the main place for showing new photo gear in Germany besides "IFA" in Berlin, which also was cancelled this year. At IFA Canon usually had a big tent right in the center.

Upvote 0

HMC11

Travel
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2020
Along with the camera body and accessories, Canon will announce two new RF mount lenses.
  • Canon RF 100-400mm f/5.6-7.1 IS USM(The aperture range is rumoured, but the lens has a 67mm filter thread, so it’s not fast)
    • Cap E-67II
  • Canon RF 16mm f/2.8
    • Lens hood EW-65C
    • Cap E-43
Is it too unrealistic to interpret this as Canon finally including a lens hood for a non-L lens?

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I must be missing something. How can a 16mm f2.8 lens be as small as people are imagining.
Take a look at the Fujifilm XF 16mm f/2.8 lens. I'm guessing it will be in that ballpark in terms of size as the rear element will be bigger to accommodate the bigger FF image circle, and it will be externally focusing. Maybe to keep it simple it won't employ a lot of distortion correction (as with the RF 14-35mm f/4).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Is it too unrealistic to interpret this as Canon finally including a lens hood for a non-L lens?
Sadly, yes. An accessory being listed doesn't mean that accessory will be included. The R3 is not going to include a flash transmitter, hotshoe mic and 3 different straps in the box.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
(The aperture range is rumoured, but the lens has a 67mm filter thread, so it’s not fast)

Tell that to Tamron, who make all their lenses now with a 67mm filter thread for uniform handling, including f/2.8 (and very likely the upcoming f/2-2.8) zooms with IQ which equals or exceeds that of equivalent, larger first-party lenses.
On the other end of the scale we've had Sigma putting out a 105mm f/1.4 lens a couple of years ago with a useless 105mm filter size, and worse vignetting and overall lower transmission than the 82mm filter Nikon equivalent.

In the 60s Canon were making f/1.2 lenses with a 58mm filter. That's also when they made a 19mm f/3.5 pancake lens, too; seem familiar?) A lot of Korean and Chinese companies right now are making f/0.95 lenses, usually with filter threads below 62mm.

With a maximum front size of 67mm, a 400mm lens could be up to f/6.3 'clean', or possibly get away with f/5.6 with the modern trend of allowing excessive vignetting and having lenses frame wider then crop in with opcodes. (e.g. 24-105 f/7.1, 24-240, Fuji's 100-400, etc.)

I do think this lens will top out at f/7.1, but I believe that because that just seems to be the aperture Canon have become fixated on, not because of the filter size.

There are a few ways to do it. The most common two methods are to either stick your larger elements towards the rear or even protruding into the camera a bit (which is how the 1960s 19mm f/3.5 worked), or just not care about optical corrections and make a wider, distorted, darker image circle, which is easy to do within a small lens, and rely on opcodes to correct everything. That's what the recent 14-35mm f/4L does as well as many other lenses I mentioend above.

The Fuji 16mm f/2.8 which has been mentioned in this thread is a slightly different matter, as that lens is only projecting an image circle slightly larger than the APS-C sensor. Mechanically that lens is only as demanding as a 24mm f/4.2, so it's very easy for it to be as small as it is. Additionally Fuji rely on a lot of software corrections for it. Fuji use opcodes more than any manufacturer anyway, but the 16mm f/2.8 is hugely reliant on them even by Fuji's standards and the images it puts out are stretched and brighten to breaking point. That's why it also has the poorest reputation among users of the compact XF lenses. (And unsurprisingly the lens at the other end of that series, the 50mm f/2, is by far the best performer.)

This Canon 16mm f/2.8 is going to be trying to cover a 135 sensor, which is much more demanding than the equivalent 24mm f/4.2 the Fuji has to put out. So I fully expect this lens, if it is indeed a pancake or semi-pancake lens, to be relying on the most dramatic software corrections seen on any lens by any manufacturer to date. While putting larger elements towards the rear can help somewhat... well, go look up what Canon had to do to make the FL 19mm f/3.5 work, and how far that had to protrude into the camera. To open up another 3mm and two thirds of a stop will be a tall order, even despite the advancements made since back then, and people should not be expecting optical miracles here. Canon can't cheat the laws of physics.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
By the time the R3 hits the market it will be 1. outdated with only 24 mpix, and Sony will have another camera announced that will blow the R3 away I'm affraid. Missing the Canon domination times... :(
1) "Canon domination" doesn't matter. What camera is selling #1 in the world doesn't change how the cameras and lenses you have operate or how skilled you are at using them.
2) 24mp is still large by the standards of sports & news shooters, which is who Canon have explicitely stated the R3 is designed for. Most of its users will be shooting medium .jpg files. Going any larger than 24mp would actually be detrimental to many of the customers the camera is supposed to be used by. You don't look at, let alone buy, sports cameras if you are, for whatever reason, invested in the resolution race.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0