Confirmed: Canon EOS R5c to be announced next month [CR3]

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I wasn't expecting the announcement to be that fast. This is very exciting!
Me too...but I'm afraid that announcements early will have nothing to do with meaningful availability of the camera itself, with shortages, delays, and supply chain problems we've seen with all other camera gear these days.

I think the better questions to ask is, when will this actually be hitting peoples' hands....?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I suspect it will be very very close to R5. We will know soon dear Private.
Well the Sony FX3 is the benchmark and the top plate design of that is as close to perfect for a crossover as possible, and the three 3/8th threads with the detachable XLR/top handle is pretty unbeatable. If Canon compromise the top plate design by putting a 'normal' EVF and new style hotshot on top of it then it is very clearly aimed at the photo end of the crossover spectrum.

Not that I have any skin in the game, I have zero interest or need in the camera, just always interested to see how Canon is thinking.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Well the Sony FX3 is the benchmark and the top plate design of that is as close to perfect for a crossover as possible, and the three 3/8th threads with the detachable XLR/top handle is pretty unbeatable. If Canon compromise the top plate design by putting a 'normal' EVF and new style hotshot on top of it then it is very clearly aimed at the photo end of the crossover spectrum.

Not that I have any skin in the game, I have zero interest or need in the camera, just always interested to see how Canon is thinking.
The "C" indicates it is for the cinema end.

Upvote 0

twoheadedboy

EOS R5
CR Pro
Jan 3, 2018
Sturtevant, WI
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
So. Is Log 2 better or Log 3? Does anyone know? Thanking you in advance, I have been struggling with this answer for a bit now.
They are both good. They are different settings for different situations. Canon Log 2 provides more dynamic range but is harder to grade and you really have to protect the shadows, as it's not great in lowlight. Canon Log 3 was created to fix the issues of Canon Log 2 (easier to grade, better in low light) but at the expense of dynamic range and highlight rolloff. I use Canon Log 3 in lowlight and Canon Log 2 in bright light.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
I doubt that, putting a 3/8th and 1/4 mounts on the top plate that doesn’t interfere with the hotshoe functionality would necessitate a complete body redesign, throw in the active cooling and I can’t see the R5C looking anything like the R5, and certainly not sharing any body parts.
If you are right, I just can't see it being called an "R5C".

The very name strongly suggests that it will be almost identical in design to the R5.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
If you are right, I just can't see it being called an "R5C".

The very name strongly suggests that it will be almost identical in design to the R5.
Well that was true of the 1DX/1DC, but with active cooling, new mount points on the top plate, as well as a different and bigger hotshot design I don't see that there is a lot of the R5 left.

Upvote 0

CafferyPhoto

Commercial photog
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2017
Washington State
cafferyphoto.com
As a hybrid shooter who does photo & video within seconds of each other on wedding days, I'm not that impressed.

If you're going to go vented and sacrifice weather sealing, then it needs at least some cinema features beyond timecode (which will never be used in a hybrid photo/video environment) such as internal NDs. The 1Dc was great because it could handle shooting in a downpour, but with this R5c I'll have to worry about a tiny drizzle. I'd prefer a normal R5 with unlimited 1080p and non-HQ 4k recording (100% possible with firmware) over one vented that gives me unlimited HQ & raw.

I love that Canon is attempting to straddle the photo/video fence here, but my feeling is meh. It should honestly be priced at $3,900, as you're trading weather sealing for some basic video features that competitors already offer in sealed bodies (unlimited record times up to 4k). Maybe the unlimited 8k and raw recording is appealing to enough people that the price can be pushed to $4500? It's certainly a minority of professional videographers/cinematographers who'd make use of that. Though maybe I'm just shortsighted here. Unlimited 8k recording is pretty significant when I think about it. Maybe I take it all back haha. Damn I'm probably going to buy one.

Attachments

• 32456.jpg
    32456.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 15
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I assume Canon adds 8K60P just to beat Nikon to it. Canon should add a crop 5.1K120P, that would have been an awesome feature.
Canon can announce it but I doubt they would beat Nikon to it.
IntoPix has already announced 8K 60 TicoRAW for the Z 9.
It is supposed to come in a firmware update in the first quarter of 2021.
We will need to see how practical it will be.
The R3 basically records 6K forever at 30 FPS but can only record 1 hour at 60 FPS.
The Z 9 only records 8K for 2 hours at 30 FPS.
How long will it record 8K for at 60 FPS?

Upvote 0

CafferyPhoto

Commercial photog
CR Pro
Mar 28, 2017
Washington State
cafferyphoto.com
Do you really think? I ordered the C70 RF for my grandgrandson one year ago for 5400€. But with 8k and all those other R5 features? I´d love to see it at this price point, but my promise is 1000€ more
The C70 is and always will be an A+ video production camera. So much dynamic range. Built in audio interfaces. Almost every setting a button click away. No worries about the "competition" from the R5C

Upvote 0

RayValdez360

Soon to be the greatest.
Jun 6, 2012
Philadelphia
As a hybrid shooter who does photo & video within seconds of each other on wedding days, I'm not that impressed.

If you're going to go vented and sacrifice weather sealing, then it needs at least some cinema features beyond timecode (which will never be used in a hybrid photo/video environment) such as internal NDs. The 1Dc was great because it could handle shooting in a downpour, but with this R5c I'll have to worry about a tiny drizzle. I'd prefer a normal R5 with unlimited 1080p and non-HQ 4k recording (100% possible with firmware) over one vented that gives me unlimited HQ & raw.

I love that Canon is attempting to straddle the photo/video fence here, but my feeling is meh. It should honestly be priced at $3,900, as you're trading weather sealing for some basic video features that competitors already offer in sealed bodies (unlimited record times up to 4k). Maybe the unlimited 8k and raw recording is appealing to enough people that the price can be pushed to $4500? It's certainly a minority of professional videographers/cinematographers who'd make use of that. Though maybe I'm just shortsighted here. Unlimited 8k recording is pretty significant when I think about it. Maybe I take it all back haha. Damn I'm probably going to buy one.
just get an r3 if you want to shoot in the rain.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Just give me a body geared toward the general advanced enthusiast and/or landscape photographer. It seems everything is directed toward video and sports photography, or maybe the reviewers or camera companies are conditioning people to that they need that. I don't have a problem with that, but has the general photography person been forgotten or perhaps few exist any more. As someone whose primary interest is landscape and general nature photography, and R5 as awesome as it is, is overkill and priced out of my range. The R model would surely not be bad and hopefully Canon can update. I suppose if my 6D crapped out, I could go for that model, but not very inspired to currently change from what I have.

Upvote 0